Dale's Glacier White 200 cup

Good work Dale! Can I ask, do you have experience of doing mechanical stuff, or are you learning as you go? Just curious with all the stuff you've been doing recently :grinning:

Absolutely no previous experience at all, I'm just learning as I go :thumb:

Nothing more rewarding that doing things yourself, and besides I like a challenge now and again... and getting the front pins out to change the pads was a bloody challenge alright :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Jimmy and ///M
Changed front pads and discs today, ran into a few problems but nothing I couldn't handle.

V1xaUmB.jpg

All 4 pins were seized, absolute nightmare trying to get them out! My punch kept slipping trying to hammer them out so I've damaged the paint on the calipers quite a lot :worried:

Two of the four pads (one on each side) were completely seized to the calipers, and the drivers side disc was seized to the hub!

I had a T40 screw for the front discs but it was for a screwdriver not a wrench, so I couldn't get enough power to get the screws out, so had to nip to Halfords in the girlfriends citroen C1. Then I found out I picked up a 3/8inch T40 bit instead of 1/2inch so I had to drive back and get the right one, but they didn't have a separate bit so had to spend £25 on a set that had one :tearsofjoy:

All in all took me about 6 hours to change both front discs and pads, it was definitely a learning, albeit stressful, experience.

Went for a quick test drive and I can safely say they're working! No heavy breaking for a few hundred miles though so can't comment on the performance yet.

Looking good mate. Brakes are a relatively easy job looks like yours weren't looked after by previous owner. Good to get that job under your belt though. Are you doing a fluid change?

Looking good mate. Brakes are a relatively easy job looks like yours weren't looked after by previous owner. Good to get that job under your belt though. Are you doing a fluid change?

Relatively easy... provded everything isn't seized :tearsofjoy:

It crossed my mind, and I want it doing but I think I'm just going to pay a garage to change the fluid for me :smile:

Relatively easy... provded everything isn't seized :tearsofjoy:

It crossed my mind, and I want it doing but I think I'm just going to pay a garage to change the fluid for me :smile:

Get an eezibleed kit as it makes the job easier on your own. You'll have no problem doing it yourself from the work you have done so far.

Great effort Dale. Saving money on labour means you can spend more on upgrades:smile:

Technically speaking I had to spend £80 on the tools to do the job so that cost me more than the labour would have.

BUT I can now do the job myself the next time so it will pay off eventually :smiley:

Reactions: Big Ben
Spanner for the bleed nipple and a bottle for the waste fluid. The eezibleed kit comes with all the pipes and adaptors you need.

Spanner for the bleed nipple and a bottle for the waste fluid. The eezibleed kit comes with all the pipes and adaptors you need.

Sounds simple enough! Thanks for the info mate, think I'll give it a shot myself :smile:

Any brake fluid recommendations?

Nice one with the front brakes as well Dale. I'm impressed that you've just started doing it all yourself, it comes across that you know exactly what you're doing - which is a compliment by the way :smile:

Reactions: Dystant
Nice one with the front brakes as well Dale. I'm impressed that you've just started doing it all yourself, it comes across that you know exactly what you're doing - which is a compliment by the way :smile:

Thanks mate, appreciate it! :thumb: At least it's coming across like I know what I'm doing, in reality I'm lost half the time :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Jimmy
Nice one Dale!

Don't worry too much about damaging the caliper, as I did exactly the same as you and made some small dents around where the pins go in. Bought some touch up paint so they shouldn't look too obvious.

Reactions: Dystant
Cambelt service, new exhaust manifold and Miltek resonated system fitted yesterday at Reno-Tech in Llandudno, the car feels absolutely spot on now!

The noise from the Miltek is absolutely amazing and it actually feels like a 2L engine now when you start the car you get a lovely deep grumble :smiley:

Brake pads/discs are now bedded in and the bite from the Mintex M1144 pads are amazing.

The car now feels completely different to how it did a few days ago, puts an even bigger smile on my face than it did before

:track:

Nothing better than putting some new bits on and noticing a big result!

We need sound clips Dale!

Cambelt service, new exhaust manifold and Miltek resonated system fitted yesterday at Reno-Tech in Llandudno, the car feels absolutely spot on now!

The noise from the Miltek is absolutely amazing and it actually feels like a 2L engine now when you start the car you get a lovely deep grumble :smiley:

Brake pads/discs are now bedded in and the bite from the Mintex M1144 pads are amazing.

The car now feels completely different to how it did a few days ago, puts an even bigger smile on my face than it did before

:track:

Great news Dale :smile:

Pleased it was all worth it!