Dale's Glacier White 200 cup

Dale, if you don't have induction mods then that's definitely worth looking at, but I'm of the opinion that most of them are pants and will possibly lose you a few horses but sound pretty good. A few people who I would trust entirely have said the R3 is the only proper way to do it but it's a massive ballache having to move move the battery and chop your car up a bit. But anything else seems to be drawing in too much hot air to me.

But yeah, I'd do some thorough induction research and have a think as it makes sense to have it all mapped at the same time so everything is doing the best it can.

As for anything else, to me it would only make sense to do everything all at once as they're all such tiny incremental differences that there's just no way you're really going to notice anything and you'll be spending quite a lot for tiny gains.

Unless of course you want to throw cams into the mix. But again, thats a VERY pricey do for some only slightly larger gains.

Modifying these cars in NA form is basically an 80% crapshoot unless you're going to go the whole hog and spend £6,000ish on a built motor +ECU +install. Daft thing is, many people spend this on loads and loads of little mods (I'm as bad as anyone) where if they put it all together they could have a pretty dependable 2.2ltr, 250bhp of 8,000 rpm brilliance.

To me there's two ways to do these cars. Basic set up and get them breathing nice and running sweet and then drive it like you stole it. Or save save save and go big. Half measures cost a lot for very very little.

Unless you wanna start spending bigger money, induction is the only thing I'd look at really.

Just my 2p mate. Hope it helps.

Yeah I've looked at induction kits and I'm not convinced that they're entirely worth it, unless done correctly as you say with moving the battery etc you're unlikely to see any real gains.

When I got the car it had a K&N cone fitted and yeah the noise was nice but I was concerned about heatsoak from the manifold, that's why I reverted back to the OEM air box with an uprated filter.

I've got the noise level I want with the Miltek exhaust so I don't see a point in getting an induction kit, I'll leave the air flow design to how Renault intended it to be :smile:

The only problem I've ever had with the car is that when OEM it never felt like a 2L engine under the hood, but with this new exhaust it's absolutely perfect! I just want a remap to smooth out the torque curve and make it more drivable.

I did look into cams but for like £700 I didn't see much point, am I've heard that remap are more expensive if you've got cams too :tearsofjoy:

Thanks for the input though mate, appreciate you taking the time to reply :thumb:

I was considering getting a lightweight battery to potentially save around 10KG (or so I've read), because mines the cup it's already got the other weightsaving benefits and the Miltek I've just fit is lighter than the standard exhaust so I think it might be a good next step... thoughts? :smile:

pretty sure its wasted money Dale..stick to an OEM setup and have it mapped..will give you what you are after..i never bothered with an induction kit..a good map is sufficient tbh...

Reactions: Dystant
Yeah I've looked at induction kits and I'm not convinced that they're entirely worth it, unless done correctly as you say with moving the battery etc you're unlikely to see any real gains.

When I got the car it had a K&N cone fitted and yeah the noise was nice but I was concerned about heatsoak from the manifold, that's why I reverted back to the OEM air box with an uprated filter.

I've got the noise level I want with the Miltek exhaust so I don't see a point in getting an induction kit, I'll leave the air flow design to how Renault intended it to be :smile:

The only problem I've ever had with the car is that when OEM it never felt like a 2L engine under the hood, but with this new exhaust it's absolutely perfect! I just want a remap to smooth out the torque curve and make it more drivable.

I did look into cams but for like £700 I didn't see much point, am I've heard that remap are more expensive if you've got cams too :tearsofjoy:

Thanks for the input though mate, appreciate you taking the time to reply :thumb:

You're welcome fella. And the cams need to be looked at as a hell of a lot more than just the purchase price. I do like the feel of a cammed car though.

As for the weight saving bit, that's the same as the engine mods. Taking bits OFF your car can soon add up! :smiley:

Those batteries are super costly but there's good losses to be had from a weighty part of the car. But again weight saving should be an all or nothing affair to really feel it. But my GOD do you feel it! :smile:

From everything you've said, I'd go get her mapped and it's happy days. And I honestly think it's the sensible approach rather than chasing what equates to very little.

pretty sure its wasted money Dale..stick to an OEM setup and have it mapped..will give you what you are after..i never bothered with an induction kit..a good map is sufficient tbh...

I rang RS Tuning today and they said £354 for a map and could get me booked in as early as Monday.

Bit pricey but I've heard they're the best for our cars :smile:

yeah thats their usual price..you could wait or maybe set up a group buy to get the price down as I and some others did...

You're welcome fella. And the cams need to be looked at as a hell of a lot more than just the purchase price. I do like the feel of a cammed car though.

As for the weight saving bit, that's the same as the engine mods. Taking bits OFF your car can soon add up! :smiley:

Those batteries are super costly but there's good losses to be had from a weighty part of the car. But again weight saving should be an all or nothing affair to really feel it. But my GOD do you feel it! :smile:

From everything you've said, I'd go get her mapped and it's happy days. And I honestly think it's the sensible approach rather than chasing what equates to very little.

Yeah weight affects it a lot, you can feel the difference significantly accelerating when you've got a passenger in the car but you're right it's probably not going to make it 'feel' much faster unless it's done all at once and it's a big saving of 50kg+.

Think I'll just stick with how it is now then and just get it remapped :smiley:

Reactions: ///M
yeah thats their usual price..you could wait or maybe set up a group buy to get the price down as I and some others did...

Good idea, how many buyers would we be talking for them to consider a group buy?

last time I contacted Paul at RST he said he needed at least 5 cars to get a £50 discount,or 10 people to get a £100 of the price..would worth a shot Dale..Paul is usually very open to these..

also you could try to get a bit more interest from turborenault.co.uk..thats how how got mine...maybe other renault based sites

also you could try to get a bit more interest from turborenault.co.uk..thats how how got mine...maybe other renault based sites

My Renaults not turbo, will they get their pitchforks out if I sign up there? :excited::tearsofjoy:

Yeah weight affects it a lot, you can feel the difference significantly accelerating when you've got a passenger in the car but you're right it's probably not going to make it 'feel' much faster unless it's done all at once and it's a big saving of 50kg+.

Think I'll just stick with how it is now then and just get it remapped :smiley:

I love the Colin Chapman quote:

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere"

:smile:

Reactions: Dystant and Pav
Due to these crappy, wet, short and cold winter days I've decided to hold off on polishing the car until summer, so I want to wax as soon as possible as I haven't done so yet.

If I wax now though, will it make it more difficult in a few months to polish the swirl marks out due to having to remove the wax? Or does wax not generally last that long anyway?

I decided the same thing - I plan to wax it properly with some Collinite 845 the day before I go to Spa in April, so in the meantime I've just been washing then topping up with Auto Finesse Glisten which according to Auto Finesse will last 3-6 weeks. It gives a really deep shine and good beading, also after snow foaming and washing at the weekend the paintwork was still glass-like to touch, so it seems to be holding up well.

http://www.autofinesse.co.uk/glisten-is-back/

I think there's something seriously wrong with my car... since I fit my new exhaust I've lost about 6MPG, absolutely no idea what could be causing it :think: :tearsofjoy:

I think there's something seriously wrong with my car... since I fit my new exhaust I've lost about 6MPG, absolutely no idea what could be causing it :think: :tearsofjoy:

I think maybe some video would help us diagnose the "issue" mate...