The Aerocatches are now on the boot. This solves the electrical problem of the boot not unlocking.

It was a slightly odd feeling cutting holes in to the boot lid.

@EthanMenace and I spent ages trying to work out if we should attach the brackets to hold the pins to the boot first, or put on the Aerocatches to the boot lid first and make the pins fit to the Aerocatches. Eventually we decided to put on the Aerocatches first as the pin brackets looked adjustable enough to make them fit to the catches.

We looked at photos of other Clios to work out where the Aerocatches should go on the boot lid and then decided to put them where we thought they looked like they were in the best position.

After creating a stencil we then attached it to the boot lid and got out the Dremel and the grinder and started cutting.

View attachment 153392

The sparks did make me wonder if we had lost our minds mangling a perfectly healthy Clio.

View attachment 153393

The Aerocatches were attached to the car with a good amount of sealant and then holes were drilled for the 6 screws for each catch. Once the catches were on we moved on to the pins.

After a lot of fettling the pin brackets from No. 7 Motorsport were attached and sat in the right position.

View attachment 153395

The Aerocatches look okay, but there is far too much chrome on the boot so at some point in the future the chrome badges will come off and a black diamond can go on the boot lid.

View attachment 153394

When the Aerocatches were complete we moved on to adding a few shims to the rear beam.

View attachment 153396

The geo for the rear beam was -1.5 degrees of camber and 10 minutes of toe on the passenger side and nearly 30 minutes of toe on the drivers side. An extra half a degree of negative camber has been added to each side and two 10 minutes to shims have been added to the drivers side. Hopefully the rear toe is a bit more equal now - but only an alignment check at in the future will really show if we have improved the geo.

if you want just a geo check think it's about £25 + vat for a full geo check with print out at R2 Automotive give me a message if you ever need one [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: EthanMenace
We are at Brands Hatch tomorrow and @EthanMenace has been sorting out a few last minute bits of prep on the car.

When we bought the car it was described as MOT'd and serviced in November 2023. We decided, despite the fact it had done less than 250 miles since we bought it, to change the oil and fill it with some Fuchs Titan Race Pro S. Ethan changed the oil yesterday together with a new filter.

We were feeling a bit flush after selling the Recaros and decided to buy some Zero Point One harness guides.

IMG_4568.jpeg

Unfortunately our half cage from JP Cages has a smaller harness bar than every other bar on the cage. When Ethan attempted to fit the guides they were loose and did not tighten up enough due to the smaller bar.

IMG_4697.jpeg

We have used some insulation tape to give the harness guides something to clamp on to.

IMG_4698.jpeg

The last thing that needs to be sorted today is putting a new ZPO tow eye extender in with a new Luke's yellow tow strap.

Tomorrow will be the first track day using the Corbeau bucket seats and ZPO shifter. This will be with the untested engine with 115,000 miles on it and a gear box with a slight crunch in fourth and no Gripper.

Last edited:
Might have asked this before but how do you find the quality of the JP cage?

We got ours second hand for about £200 which was a bargain but it was made a bit wonky. which became a bit of a problem if you wanted to run seatbelts as it rubbed up against the height adjuster thing which stopped it from retracting properly.
we ended up using a ratchet strap to bend the legs in a bit so it would work but not ideal.

i’ve heard of similar stories as well so we’re not the only ones who have had issues with them.

It works fine and they may have sorted their jig out by now but if i was buying new i would probably avoid to be honest.

We got ours second hand for about £200 which was a bargain but it was made a bit wonky. which became a bit of a problem if you wanted to run seatbelts as it rubbed up against the height adjuster thing which stopped it from retracting properly.
we ended up using a ratchet strap to bend the legs in a bit so it would work but not ideal.

i’ve heard of similar stories as well so we’re not the only ones who have had issues with them.

It works fine and they may have sorted their jig out by now but if i was buying new i would probably avoid to be honest.
Thanks Ethan,

Exactly what I have been looking for. Do you know how old your cage is it all with it being second hand?

Reactions: EthanMenace
i bought the same half cage new, took a bit of jiggery to make it work (widening pre-drilled holes to line up properly, and similar issues getting perfect positioning to enable free movement of oem upper belt sliders).

would consider again, but would also likely look elsewhere first. less of a concern if not maintaining oem belts.. but still would have been nice if the bolt in cage had bolt holes that lined up with the chassis bolt holes..

i bought the same half cage new, took a bit of jiggery to make it work (widening pre-drilled holes to line up properly, and similar issues getting perfect positioning to enable free movement of oem upper belt sliders).

would consider again, but would also likely look elsewhere first. less of a concern if not maintaining oem belts.. but still would have been nice if the bolt in cage had bolt holes that lined up with the chassis bolt holes..
Excellent. Thanks for this. I will avoid I think then!

Hope the OP has a good trackday too !

Oh I was just about to buy a Jp cage as I like the fact it would work with the stock interior….. just read this and now I’m not sure! Any other cages that anyone thinks work better?

yeah none of the issues i've had were massive problems, just needs minor tweaking to make it work. now it's fitted i have no complaints at all - the finish is nice.

Reactions: Tarticmonkey