Luke_197 Progress thread

im gutted for ya mate..why did u have the center silencer removed??in all fairness it sounds stupid(like these scooters) hate that sound...but as Chris said-look into some cat backs and u will love it again..
got a link to the rs knob??

Honestly mate I was just after a cheap but bit of noise but it kinda back fired oh well lesson learnt.

I spoke to my friend today and I'm having the silencer refitted on Wednesday, the decat pipe will stay though. I'm sure this will be fine until I get a proper cat back.

Here's the links to both style of gear knobs:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/400396453029?nav=SEARCH

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/400396474926?nav=SEARCH

Give it time Luke. When I first desilenced mine I thought wtf have I done as it also sounded tinny. Once you have a few miles on the clock it cokes up nicely and starts to sounds much better

Was it your standard exhaust or your miltek which had the resonator removed mate? I had a miltek on my old 197 and with the resonator out sounded very raspy but not tinny.

Update time: More goodies arrived. :smile:

So firstly I decided to have the silencer and cat refitted as the tinny noise wasn't the sounds I was after. I'm kicking myself for wasting money but oh well I'm just gonna have to move on. Sounds much better now so I'm happy.

Anyway good news is some more parts arrived today, in the form of engine mounts and strut braces. [emoji2]

Went for the vibratech mounts from Ktec who did me a good Black Friday deal along with their bundle discount. Very good price on Ktec behalf.

Here's some pics

e5f5de805e336ebfeb97e854e931f3f4.jpg

Upper engine mount.
57e347099fbb3962719fc108d21663d3.jpg
Gearbox mount.
c038e1a718a5326c2cc96be6dc7957a3.jpg
Lower stabiliser mount.
4842301227f03819519a9941b843be64.jpg

Should stiffen things up and cause a bit of vibration but I don't mind the vibration went out in a vibratech mounted 197 a while back and i didn't notice it much as a passenger.

Also purchased an ultra racing strut brace which I'm going to fit tonight.

8f542d5a6b2279db89011fba2284655d.jpg

Will post a pic when its fitted. [emoji2]

Your previous post about you 'ruining your car' made me chuckle :lol: Those bulbs look awesome though, as does the whole car! I have Philips X-treme Vision and they are nowhere near as nice a colour as those.

Looking forward to pics of the rear strut :smile: How are you fitting it, leaving the carpets in place and cutting holes in them?

You'll need to cut the carpet mate, you'd want it fully on the metal so it don't move under load. Perfect time to strip out the rear like mine ha. Good thread fella.

Your previous post about you 'ruining your car' made me chuckle :lol: Those bulbs look awesome though, as does the whole car! I have Philips X-treme Vision and they are nowhere near as nice a colour as those.

Looking forward to pics of the rear strut :smile: How are you fitting it, leaving the carpets in place and cutting holes in them?

Haha just trying to make the best of a bad situation. Thanks mate, appreciate the kind words. Give the diamond visions a try only £22 too.

Unfortunately didn't get round to fitting it as I was summoned by the girlfriend, Haha. But when I do I will cut around the carpet as I want to keep it tidy. [emoji4] might get a Ktec carpet too really tidy things up.

You'll need to cut the carpet mate, you'd want it fully on the metal so it don't move under load. Perfect time to strip out the rear like mine ha. Good thread fella.

Yeah I had a quick look and noticed this. I'll cut around defiantly. Way ahead of you mate the rear has been stripped out for months. [emoji4] thanks bud

Quick question about when you fitted your strut brace. What did your fitting kit consist of? This Is what I received below:

2xbolts (different sizes)
2xnuts (different sizes)
Lots of washers

Surely I should have received 4xbolts and 4xnuts?? [emoji53] otherwise I can't fit the bottom half of the brace?

487cb8d2e57eeabc646dff013f23ee9c.jpg

Last edited:
How much were the engine mounts?

Let me know what they feel like in the cabin :smile:?

eg vibration heaven haha

How much were the engine mounts?

Let me know what they feel like in the cabin :smile:?

eg vibration heaven haha

Hi mate heres a link.

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=3955&appid=3

Cazan racing also do them.

I'll report back how the feel. Was speaking to angel earlier and he said the vibration is awful before they settle down. However they do make a massive difference to performance. I'll post a video to give a rough idea of what they are like and how bad vibration is. [emoji4]

Not clio related, but still pretty cool. If you scroll back to the start my progress thread you'll see a photo of my old 197 on my drive parked next too a friend/colleagues 400bhp evo. Well for the first time in months I went to M.A.development with him to see its progress.

It's currently at the 900BHP on pump fuel and there still more power to be extracted. It's current having a transfer box upgrade as it ate its original one. After Christmas it will be back on the road ready for the boost to be turned up, a few other goodies and another live map.

I went out in this before it destroyed its transfer box, and I have to say the acceleration/noise/torque is just brutal. I don't know the exact spec and I can imagine it as long as my arm. What I do know is it's a fully forged 2.2 stroker kit with an efr turbo and throttle bodies. When he returns to work I'll ask him so I can post its exact spec. Here's some photos.

98f7ce2c95bc3de989a28d47502f6371.jpg

c687b4ba3eed912137983e2431d8d9c4.jpg

d5b08f1e9b7ae98366b50ded93cf1178.jpg
Then this showed up later that day. [emoji2]

8dd9308581c4aa91edeef9b51ce93fdc.jpg

Last edited:
Update:

*Fitted the ultra racing rear strut brace.

I fitted this myself about week and a half ago. Just haven't had an opportunity to take a nice picture in daylight. Fitting was a little fiddly, but got there in the end. Managed to get the missing bolts off Ktec too.

I like the shape of it but I'm not to keen on the colour. I think I will get sprayed satin black to match my wheels. It's a bit of a mish mash of colours atm.

Mounted my harness to it aswell. I have decided I'm gonna look into a new harness with wider 3 inch straps as mine look to skinny. Also I've gone off the red and want to keep it more subtle, so I'll probably get a black harness.

34acf7aa903e77d23206e137d0737916.jpg

Had some off cuts of carpets left over from trimming around the strut brace so used it to make a seat belt beeper stopper. Haha

d582632b688626d2c8938fc4aecb34ae.jpg

e66f5a9565496a82421dec9b06fd8794.jpg

My rear seats belt have been removed to even out some of the added weight from the brace and harness.

Last edited:
Love the brace mate! And pretty jealous of your harness! You going to get a bit of extra carpet to cover up where the seats were?