Luke_197 Progress thread

The best combination would be the disc rotor size of a rim, something like Buell XB12S has, and it has more or the same stopping power with the same sized caliper/pads than mine 2xBrembo Serie Oro radial calipers and dual 320mm rotors.

Why is that?

The bigger the rotors the better the heat dispersion/distribution is also.

Try to spin the wheel of a bike with your hand and stop it with the hand as near to the hub or as far to the tyre and see the results.

I find it ALWAYS easier to stop the bike wheel when grabbing onto the tyre. :wink:

The best combination would be the disc rotor size of a rim, something like Buell XB12S has, and it has more or the same stopping power with the same sized caliper/pads than mine 2xBrembo Serie Oro radial calipers and dual 320mm rotors.

Why is that?

The bigger the rotors the better the heat dispersion/distribution is also.

Try to spin the wheel of a bike with your hand and stop it with the hand as near to the hub or as far to the tyre and see the results.

I find it ALWAYS easier to stop the bike wheel when grabbing onto the tyre. :wink:

That's makes sense mate, thanks for that. [emoji4]

went on track today and it was awesome! the brakes worked excellent with ds3000s in front and ds2500s in rear but to be honest I cant see a massive difference to the standard discs they where a little better obviously but the standard discs are already quite big so are very good so its very hard to tell the difference my advice to any one is stick with standard discs and just put a good set of pads in unless you like the look of them which I do

went on track today and it was awesome! the brakes worked excellent with ds3000s in front and ds2500s in rear but to be honest I cant see a massive difference to the standard discs they where a little better obviously but the standard discs are already quite big so are very good so its very hard to tell the difference my advice to any one is stick with standard discs and just put a good set of pads in unless you like the look of them which I do
the guy has a point...my breaks got really good after just changing the pads...still would go for a bigger set up if i could though...:smile:

Time for an update.

It's been a while since my last post, been having some issues with my steering which has really ruined the driving experience, Basically the steering is wandering and pulling to the left. Went back and forth to Renault trying to resolve the problem. After a while they where claiming that there is nothing wrong with the car.

A few friends recommended I get a custom 4 wheel alignment to suit my lowering springs, so I decided to give this a go.

I wanted a proper fast road set up done so I ordered in some polybushes.

-Front arm front bush with camber adjustment.
-Front arm rear bush with anti lift and castor adjustment.

095528a240f758943375f31f3ff6b038.jpg

Also wanted a 43k service done so ordered in some more nanodrive 5w40, phoned two techs and booked the car in for all the work to be done. I had also planned to go directly to elite direct for a 4 wheel alignment straight after.

Got to two techs last Friday full of excitement to get the work done, but my excitement was shattered when we found this.

https://vimeo.com/123282889

Play in the lower swivel joints. [emoji35] how the bloody hell could Renault not spot this! Terry at two techs was as usual a top guy and said we should postpone fitting the polybushes until I get replacement ball joints. Eagle eyes viewer will also notice a score mark around the disc, this was due to the j hooks getting filled with debree cause them to score against the pad leaving that mark.

I was sick and tired of Renault pissing my about, so got straight on the phone to Rsport and had a new set of swivels joints sent to me.

4116a701b750ad3f860ef1870e9ad34a.jpg

So the car is rebooked in for the 9th of April for the work to be done, hopefully I won't experience any other problems.

On a lighter note, my sprint booster arrive yesterday. So that cheered me up slightly, fitted it last night.

dbadae51f838c4fd02ad40e63988b5e2.jpg

Hidden away behind the fuse cover, as the light would annoy me.
7d27a022ff7f656a8bdc88ace6f4f00a.jpg

Fitted using 6 washers on the top bolts and 4 on the lower bolt.

2f03125f7233783760653c994cd9b3a1.jpg

First Impressions, WOW! Combined with the vibratech mounts the aggressive setting(red) is brutal! It almost feels like the car has more torques when you initially put your foot down. Gear changes are improved as you can get back on the power sooner. Love it, although I have to say the fuel needle dropped a fair bit last night so I think I'll be using the more civilised green setting for general driving. Still brilliant in green mode, it's how the car should feel from standard. Everyone should have one of these.

Will update again once the other work is completed.

Last edited:
The sprint boosters are awesome!

sorry to hear about the ball joints, but hey, it's guna be done and is not guna creep up on you anytime soon now.

wow..what a load of ******* from Renault..how could they not notice??even a caveman could see/feel that play..well,at least you are getting it sorted Luke..glad you will love driving it again..
what should those bushes improve??how much were they??presume you got them from Angel...
haha the sprint booster phenomena..great mod,isnt it?the red setting is a bit too aggressive for everyday driving..have it on green all the time...

Cheers for the comments guys.
[MENTION=41063]Pav[/MENTION] I think they didn't bother looking and just assumed there was nothing wrong to get rid of me. After all the Agro I've had with Renault(swirl marks ect). I've thrown in the towel and just gonna pay myself there's only so many times I can leave my pride and joy with a negligent service centre.

The polybushes won't change much, it will probably sharpen the steering up, but more importantly it will give me the ability to adjust the camber and castor. In my fast road set up I'll add more negative camber and increase the castor to around 6 degrees. The handling should be immense after the set up.

Yeah I agree the red mode is really harsh. I think even sometime green mode can be to harsh but remember I have the mounts. Red mode is great on a blast can't get over how much more responsive the car feels.

bet they didn't bother looking otherwise they would have noticed..cant get my head round it tbh..the 1st thing my mechanic did before fitting my ball joints he put it up on the ramp and wobbled the steering rack back and forth to see if there was any play..it was not so thats why i left it and sold them..
"dont fix it if it aint broken"
:biggrin:

Last edited:
Do those omp tow straps fit on any car? Thinking about getting one to break up the front end a bit. Can't decide between a red omp one or a blue trs one. The car is racing blue

Do those omp tow straps fit on any car? Thinking about getting one to break up the front end a bit. Can't decide between a red omp one or a blue trs one. The car is racing blue

Hi mate, yes it will, most toe straps are universal. With our cars you need to make up a custom bolt to fit it. If you look back through this thread I've put up a guide on what you need.

Quick update.

Had my work done ages ago but have been to lazy to update my thread.

First got the torque arm bush fitted. That was a pain considering I had no vice, took ages trying to prise the metal casing off the old bush.
95e4df69785d3e58114b89a094f45993.jpg
But it's in now and gear changes feel a little better, can't really notice it much over my other mounts. Got a little extra vibration but I don't care.

The lower ball joints have been fitted which has finally cured the wandering. One side had major play in it, the other was on its way out.

The powerflex bushes are also in, can't really notice much difference, I'm waiting for a fast road set up to be done, maybe then I'll notice a change. I'm thinking this is a mod you'll notice on track days.

Adjustable Castor/anti lift bush.
957d76a1829ee508bbae31dc96b60753.jpg

Adjustable Camber bush. Kinda pointless as you can't see it. [emoji23] Word of warning these are a pain in the arse to adjust.
0ede4063db7425738419311cddfc7cda.jpg
Car is feeling good now though. She is booked in for the fast road set up on the 16th.

Next on the agenda is a showdown between:

-OZ Ultraleggras wheels
-Supersprint racing cat back (resonated)

I was very tempted to order the some new wheels/tyres the other day until the missus stopped me as she wants a holiday, which is now booked.

I went out for a drive the other day and was really desperate for a little more noise, although the standard induction noise from these cars still sounds brilliant. I'm swaying more towards the exhaust but we will see.

Last edited:
You won't regret an exhaust mate! Do it!

I thought the standard noise was decent til I put mine on!

standard is **** Luke...get a new exhaust..you will not regret it..it transforms your car..bare in mind that you will probably need to get it mapped out (flat spot)..
cool upgrades..

First got the torque arm bush fitted. That was a pain considering I had no vice, took ages trying to prise the metal casing off the old bush.
95e4df69785d3e58114b89a094f45993.jpg

Ha, I know that pain. Mole grips, large flat head screwdriver and a lump hammer did mine in the end! Ha

Luke Luke, you know my thoughts mate, get the Supersprint now!!!

As you also know, I've not had any issue with a flat spot since fitting mine mate....

Luke Luke, you know my thoughts mate, get the Supersprint now!!!

As you also know, I've not had any issue with a flat spot since fitting mine mate....

Stop tempting me, [emoji28] I think my standard exhaust might be on its way out too.

Little update.

Cleaned the throttle body today. It looked pretty filthy.
82740109fa5de1f180f76f494e41cce9.jpg
All cleaned up and metal polished.
2dc83d7739d89cc322a99fed1dd0c3ec.jpg
6777689597d0a2f9f4a5fecda942ebab.jpg
476809f139d2d784b73fcf7e08d06ecb.jpg

Car feels a little less urgent when I went for a drive but thinking maybe the ECU needs to adjust now it's cleaner or maybe its because I disconnected the battery and TB. Throttle feels a bit smoother which is nice. Worthwhile maintenance job too do if you ask me.