I am tidying up and cleaning the engine bay whilst the engine is out.

The air conditioning system in the full fat has been removed. A garage degassed the compressor which did not much have left in it. We have a PMS AC delete kit to replace the knackered OEM cup AC delete kit on the cup engine. But what do people do with their air conditioning pipes in the engine bay when you do an AC delete?

I have moved the fabric heat shield and can see that the AC pies go through the bulkhead.

IMG_4839.jpeg

Can I safely unscrew these connections and just bin off the air conditioning pipework in the engine bay?

Do I need to blank off the pipes going inside the car?

Reactions: Beany
We have made more progress with the car. On Friday @EthanMenace pulled the full fat engine out of the full fat.

70206056301__782601E0-584F-41C1-BAEF-D7A07109807E (1).jpeg

The full fat engine is sat in the shed.

70206454112__A01ECFB9-E39D-4ADD-8ABD-94425FCA0122.jpeg

With the engine out the full fat we were able to sort out a few jobs.

The air conditioning pipe work was disconnected from the heat exchanger.

IMG_4841.jpeg

I chopped off the end of the pipes and filled them with silicone which will cure and harden overnight. Once the silicone has cured I will removed the tape.

IMG_4843.jpeg

I removed the PowerFlex bushes from the cup chassis and transferred them over to the full fat chassis. Upper torque mount.

IMG_4844.jpeg

Gearbox mount.

IMG_4845.jpeg

Changing the ARB bushes was a pain. We took off the subframe to make it easier.

IMG_4849.jpeg

I also put in the clutch damper delete kit.

IMG_4847.jpeg

Whilst the engine was out I cleaned up a few areas which were accessible. The lower, or is it mid, engine mount had a few rust spots where it should have been smooth black paint so that was given a a few coat of Bilt and Hamber Hydrate80 in the untidy areas.

The last job sorted out today was swapping over exhaust manifolds. The full fat manifold flexis were starting to perish.

IMG_4848.jpeg

The exhaust manifold from the cup has clearly had new flexis welded on before.

IMG_4846.jpeg

More questions about removing the air con, i’ve got plugs for the condenser and compressor, am i safe to just cut these off and tape it up?

72C72683-6551-40B7-81B0-B600EB5607A4.jpeg

The engine swap saga is coming to an end.

On Thursday the engine was treated to a bit of TLC. The engine block was looking a bit tatty and rusty so it was given a few coats of Hydrate80 and then some enamel paint.

IMG_4872.jpeg

It now looks okay from a distance.

IMG_4873.jpeg

The engine mount was given a bit of rust treatment and a coat of paint.

IMG_4877.jpeg

The engine went back in on Thursday. The various cables and connectors were plugged in.

IMG_4878.jpeg

Today the work continued.

The PMS delete kit replaced the OEM delete from the cup as the pulley was knackered. The crankshaft pulley was also replaced as it was looking worn. The aux belt system had a new belt put on it. To replace the crankshaft pulley we attempted to put the car in to gear on axle stands and use the brakes to stop the crankshaft from turning. The clutch pedal went straight to the floor so we bled the clutch. The fluid that came out of the clutch was a very dark black and clearly needed flushing through.

IMG_4879.jpeg

The radiator went back on and the car was given new fluids for the engine, gearbox and cooling system. Whilst the radiator support mount was off it was given a coat of Hydrate80 to deal with some of the usual corrosion and then a coat of Hammerite. The paint job on the radiator support is awful but if it means the support lasts a bit longer then it will be fine.

The engine started on the first attempt, I had thought that there would be one connector that we had missed which would take 30 minutes to sort out, but how wrong I was. Once the engine was running the coolant system was bled. The car took over 5 litres of coolant so it was lucky we had some spare in the shed in addition to the 5 litres we had ordered.

Now that the engine is running @EthanMenace has started on the battery relocation so the the v6 airbox can go in. Provided that all the work is completed tomorrow the car can go for a test drive to make sure that everything has gone back as it should.

Congratulations on the swap!
Now how many bolts do you have left over? :laughing:

lol i’m claiming anything left over is from the old shell! but it all actually went back together really well surprisingly, i was expecting it to be a lot harder.

I managed to get the battery relocated, fuse boxes moved and the V6 airbox installed today as well. We’re now very nearly back to where we were before i put the car in a barrier a few months ago

AB3D46FB-BB46-4A1B-B02D-A1F40F3F311E.jpeg

776DB6C8-45C4-4570-B42C-1DE310032619.jpeg

The car is now booked in with Engine Dynamics at the end of April 2023 to be remapped. It is helpful that Andy has space before our visit to Thruxton on 4th May 2023.

I have still not driven the car so cannot say if there are any dead spots but hopefully a visit to Engine Dynamics will result in a smooth power curve. It may also answer the question of whether or not a V6 airbox together with gas flowed and ported inlet manifolds add any extra power to the car? My baseline for power is 197bhp when the car was mapped by KTec in October 2020 with a KTec induction kit and the Akra. The V6 airbox and manifolds were done after October 2020.

Other jobs to do is remake a headlight cold air feed and see if we can get the Corvette brake ducts in before Thuxton.