"Don't buy a Renault" They told me.....

mate, i would NEVER keep that car after all that. Tell them so firmly and stand by what you say. speak to CAB about this, any maybe even get a letter from them backing you up.

Yeah now I'm just worried that this car will be one of those cars that just always has problems. I'm not negative but there are cars out there that are just lemons and destined to always have problems.

I still want a clio but I don't want that clio.

I've gone from being so happy when I picked it up to feeling fed up.

I've wasted so much time and petrol driving an hour there and an hour back each time.

The only way I'd have that car back is if it has an independant inspection that confirms everything is ok.

But as it stands I'm gonna push to reject it. Yesterday sales manager said he'll let me know on the 2nd of January if I can or not, but I'm gonna go down the finance company route in the mean time, just waiting for them to call me.

keep your chin up mate, don't let the ****s walk over you!!! as i said, i would not even consider keeping that now, it is deffo 'one of them' cars....

GOOD LUCK!!!

keep your chin up mate, don't let the ****s walk over you!!! as i said, i would not even consider keeping that now, it is deffo 'one of them' cars....

GOOD LUCK!!!

Cheers.

If I manage to reject it I'll make a point of putting the reg on clio forums so people can avoid the car.

It looks lovely in white with black wheels and recaros with pretty much every option but drives like crap at the minute.

To be fair if yesterday when I picked it up it drove great, and gearbox was nice then I'd have asked garage to send me a cheque for damage and never gone back there again (as I'd be worried them having it again) but the fact it's damaged, drives like crap, can't change gear and is with them yet again has put me right off.

Bloody hell - what a disaster! I just read this thread from the start and I am astonished that your experience of buying such a great car has been such a disaster! :-(

Not so long ago I purchased a 1-owner, 3-series M-Sport coupe with just 8,000 miles on the clock; it turned out the previous owner was in his 90s (!) and most of the car had been 'painted' because he was such a crap driver! I tried to reject the car and hand it back but I gave in too easily... I eventually sold it back at a loss but take my advice - don't be fobbed off like I was...!! I was blinded by the mileage and will kick myself forever that I was conned!

Good luck finding another.... I bought a used RS200 earlier this year I can heartily recommend Renault Leicester.... :smile:

Another update, received call from finance company explained everything again from start to finish.

They have advised me to get it into writing to them.

I have emailed them,and also emailed the dealership to let them know in writing that I am rejecting the vehicle.

Here is the email, realised after there are a few mistakes, I should have re read it before sending it as I said their instead of there and a few other things but it's been sent now and it gets my points across.

36786994.png

Last edited:
Bloody hell - what a disaster! I just read this thread from the start and I am astonished that your experience of buying such a great car has been such a disaster! :-(

Not so long ago I purchased a 1-owner, 3-series M-Sport coupe with just 8,000 miles on the clock; it turned out the previous owner was in his 90s (!) and most of the car had been 'painted' because he was such a crap driver! I tried to reject the car and hand it back but I gave in too easily... I eventually sold it back at a loss but take my advice - don't be fobbed off like I was...!! I was blinded by the mileage and will kick myself forever that I was conned!

Good luck finding another.... I bought a used RS200 earlier this year I can heartily recommend Renault Leicester.... :smile:

Cheers.

Yeah that's the thing you can't give up too easily, but dealers know some people do and a customer rejecting a car is their worst nightmare lol. They'll make it as difficult as possible. I'll make it as difficult as possible for them to simply give me the car back though :biggrin:

What happened when you tried rejecting a car, what did they say? I know obviously no but what were their reasons etc?

Cheers.

Yeah that's the thing you can't give up too easily, but dealers know some people do and a customer rejecting a car is their worst nightmare lol. They'll make it as difficult as possible. I'll make it as difficult as possible for them to simply give me the car back though :biggrin:

What happened when you tried rejecting a car, what did they say? I know obviously no but what were their reasons etc?

The dealer that sold me the BMW took the car back and it went into a bodyshop to have the worst of the botched paint repairs sorted out and that was enough to get him off the hook! The car cam back in a much better - but far from perfect - state and I took matters into my own hands, sold the car back to the dealer and bought something else! The whole experience cost me a few grand but if I never saw that bloody car again it would be too soon.... :-(

You need tell the dealer that you going to write and get in contact with the ombudsman about the situation as thats simply not acceptable practise. Chances are they will want to keep away from it going that far as it'll all go under investigation and could wreak their business. I had a similar situation with the RAC and once I got the ombudsman involved, they solved the problem straight away.

I feel your pain, i had a few problems when i bought mine early this year, it went to two garages and the same problem never got sorted.

It was only when the salesman asked 'what do you want us to do?' and i replied 'I want you to take the car back' (this was less than 30 days ownership) that things got sorted.

I thought i'd found a great car and once these 'small problems' were sorted i knew i'd have a great car but if they'd have taken this car back i think i'd have lost out but i was willing to take a chance.

I suppose it's easier for them to make the car right than have to have it back.

I think in your case your right, stick to your guns and make them have it back, you'll probably never feel right with it if you keep it.

To the other people who never had these types of problems, i doubt you'll know the stress/heartache/ pain this can cause.

Sorry to hear you are still having problems mate. I did manage to hand my recently bought shed of a 197 back. They reluctantly agreed but settled all with the finance company in the end. I did lose most of my deposit and a good bit on travel after leaving it back but I know deep down I did the right thing. I wouldn't have been happy long term and started to hate the car.

I suspect you will end up in that position if you don't hand it back and agree to accept whatever repairs and compensation they offer you. Keep pushing it, your finance co seem helpful.

I have to add this as it touches a nerve when reading shocking threads and every dealer gets brushed due to one dealer.

But before slatting Dealers over 1 dealer maybe its worth doing a bit of shopping around and trying dealers that have customer care/service and look after the customers.

Alot of you are aware i work in a dealer and not being funny but reading threads where all dealers get brushed with the same broom because one dealer supplys shocking services just isnt right! Feel free to look here at reveiws in this link http://www.clio197.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91 oh and here http://www.twingo133.net/viewforum.php?f=42

Also one other thing that touches a nerve is when we get our name replaced with stealers instead of dealers.

Not all dealers are the same. If your not happy with one try another! You will find one you like. We have customers that travel from the Midlands to surrey just to get brakes change and another from essexs to surrey to get all his cars serviced by us! To travel these distances we have to be doing something right?

Lastly just remembered this. Not many people leave feedback here but the ones that have all look positive to me:-

http://www.clio197.net/forum/itrader.php?u=1233

Thats my little peice added. Dont look down one tunnel open up the tunnel and look around at other companys and not brush a manufactuer with the results from one dealer.

Last edited:
I have to add this as it touches a nerve when reading shocking threads and every dealer gets brushed due to one dealer.

But before slatting Dealers over 1 dealer maybe its worth doing a bit of shopping around and trying dealers that have customer care/service and look after the customers.

Alot of you are aware i work in a dealer and not being funny but reading threads where all dealers get brushed with the same broom because one dealer supplys shocking services just isnt right! Feel free to look here at reveiws in this link http://www.clio197.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91 oh and here http://www.twingo133.net/viewforum.php?f=42

Also one other thing that touches a nerve is when we get our name replaced with stealers instead of dealers.

Not all dealers are the same. If your not happy with one try another! You will find one you like. We have customers that travel from the Midlands to surrey just to get brakes change and another from essexs to surrey to get all his cars serviced by us! To travel these distances we have to be doing something right?

Lastly just remembered this. Not many people leave feedback here but the ones that have all look positive to me:-

http://www.clio197.net/forum/itrader.php?u=1233

Thats my little peice added. Dont look down one tunnel open up the tunnel and look around at other companys and not brush a manufactuer with the results from one dealer.

all valid points there and yes all companies have to make profit in order to survive

one issue is that due to renaults cull of dealers some owner have no chioce of who to use - if the cowboy dealers is the only one in the area then they are stuck with them unless they are willing to travel....but should they have to travel to get a "better" service from another dealer?

what seriuosly bugs me is the lack of "quality control" coming out of the workshops - being a motor vehicle technician/engineer for many years i am amazed that some is willing to turn out poor craftsmanship!!!!

i know one owner who has had a load of trouble from a dealer and the "technician" basically got no "penality" for his piss poor workmanship - if it was my dealers/workshop he would have been interview and given a written warning over his standard of work and yes if he continued to do it HE WOULD BE DISMISSED...

Working in a dealer you do see shocking work done by other garages outside the dealers and and then the car arrives with you and you can see why the garage cant fix it due to the lash up they have done trying to bodge it back together without spend money where you have no choice but to spend money to do the job right!

Its all down to the work staff you have and knowing what there doing along with the training you send them on.

Evening All-

Just caught up on the thread'

I have got to say in my 4 years of selling renaults I would say its probably circa 1:5 Good to bad dealers-

By bad dealers I actually mean shocking she*ite.

Shocking list.

Renault Masters beckenham.
Renault Orpington.
Renault Toomey.
Renault Masters of Shirley. ( now gone )

So now im left with driving a long way to get work done-

I actually only use SMC woking for main dealer stuff now-

However im lucky one of my best friends is a master tech for Renault.

Heres some bits -

When I had a steering rack done at renault beckenham I got the car back exactly the same how you describe-
Why - because they didnt do the tracking- as a result the cenre point of the wheel reset to 10pm & it was all over the shop-

Solution- road test & demonstrate the problem.

Knackered gearbox - road test to demonstrate-

Service manager ONLY-.. good luck- bin it- get a different one.-

foxspeed will remember my steering wheel- its all about taking pride in your job-

S

Poor guy, I hope everything works out well for you, and you reject the current car and buy another, good one.

Firstly thanks for all the replies.

As some of you have said I think if I end up having to keep the car I'll just start hating it and it will never feel right now.

Thing is it's a waiting game now, garage still has car, I've emailed dealer and finance company last week and I've been told I'll get a response on the 2nd of January.

TwingoGeekeo I see where you're coming from and I know that not all dealers are bad, the thing is all dealers are great when you're buying something, it's when something goes wrong that you see how they really are.

Although in saying that Toomey were a nightmare when buying too, once I had signed everything they couldn't be bothered and kept messing me about with collection and salesman would not return my calls.

By bad dealers I actually mean shocking she*ite.

Shocking list.

Renault Masters beckenham.
Renault Orpington.
Renault Toomey.
Renault Masters of Shirley. ( now gone )

I see you've mentioned Toomey Renault, they have two branches, one in Southend and Basildon, which was bad or is it both lol

And what was your experience of them?

Cheers

When I had a steering rack done at renault beckenham I got the car back exactly the same how you describe-
Why - because they didnt do the tracking- as a result the cenre point of the wheel reset to 10pm & it was all over the shop-

You're right. Of course they haven't done the tracking, they have probably done the bare minimum thinking "that'll do".

The last time i drove the car it felt like a bag of sh*t, couldn't put it in gear, steering wheel off centre, knocking and cracking sounds....And this was after it was repaired lol

It doesn't siurprise me though that they do bare minimum, this is a dealer that mis matches tyres across an axle on some cars they sell, I'm talking budget tyres too. Of course they won't take pride on a car thats returned with issues. Will be a case of banging it in and out as quick as possible.

They talk absolute crap as well, when my front wheels were damaged they said it wasn't us there are no kerbs (it weren't kerb marks) I said yeah it probably happened when you done the gearbox and they said the wheels don't come off when we do the gearbox.

It was only when a technician walked past and I asked him infront of them if the front wheels came off when doing gearbox did their faces drop lol

They are a bunch of cowboys, honestly I'd advise anyone to avoid toomeys.

Last edited:
A dealer should always be judged on how their service is when you take you car in for maintenance or repairs.

Everyone seems to think a dealer or garage is awesome because the salesman made them a cup of tea when they bought the car. They are trying to sell you something, of course they are going to be nice!

Renault Maidstone were brilliant when I took my old Twingo in for a service or a repair. It was always done quickly, the car was spotless afterwards, they went out of their way to get me a courtesy car and most importantly.....they fixed the issue :smile:

Some dealers are ****, others are great. It's the way of the world.

I'm still to find a decent dealer...

I live in London so I've tried pretty much everyone around. Renault Enfield, Renault London West and Theoco...

Simply put....Terrible!