"Don't buy a Renault" They told me.....

I'm totally with the OP on this.

The dealer is absolutely unbelievable. The extended warranty covers the gearbox. If the dealer had been any good they would have taken the problem off the OP, tried it on with Renault to ask them if they would do something since the failure was so close to the manufacturer warranty expiring, and when the answer came back no, just deal with it under the terms of their extended warranty. At no point should the OP have been told the problems would not be dealt with under warranty as they are clearly covered - that's what the OP is mainly pissed off about and I would feel the same. Dealer trying to get away with not honouring the warranty - total crooks and con artists - this is the absolute last thing you would want to hear after spending thousands with them a couple of weeks ago - absolutely disgraceful.

Perhaps the next time a salesman is trying to get you to buy an extended warrenty you could film him whilst asking about some of these related problems.

See him squirm. :blush:hmy:

Well today was the day of collection, after numerous "It'll be ready tomorrow" It'll definitely be ready tomorrow".... great.......or so I thought....

Well not actually, I turned up and my car has been hit from the side, wing mirror smashed, and both front wheels have huge chunks off.

"Oh" says the guy from the service desk, off he goes to get his pre check sheet to see if those marks were there before, no they weren't he says after checking his inspection sheet. But I'd imagine he would have remembered if my car was in that state when I left it without needing to check his sheet.

He then goes off and speaks to someone and they come back and say that the guy that authorises repairs is off until the new year so they take pictures and will contact me once he reaches his decision.

Naturally I'm not happy, go to sales manager discuss with him, he then confirms that they will repair it but it won't be until new year (to be fair it is an awkward time with christmas and new year).

So off I go in my car a bit peed off (as you can imagine as my car was mint), "crunch" as I try to put the car into gear. No worries must be cold, "Hold on the steering wheel isn't straight" to drive in straight line the marker on the wheel is at 3o'clock. Car pulls to the right on journey home too. As I pull in at drive I hear a loud cracking sound, not even sure what the hell that was.

I'm absoultey peed off now, called renault, need to bring the car back tomorrow so they can look at it.

Now I've got better things to do with my time than keep going to and from a garage, this is an absolute nightmare. I've made it clear I'm rejecting the car now, as it's had too many issues and I shouldn't have to return the day after they've supposedly repaired the car after having it over a week.

He will give me a decision in the new year.

I can't even get across all my points, what I'm thinking, how peed off I am right now, just put the main things.

While what I'm about to say is unrealistic and ridiculous I just wish I could drive the car through their damn showroom glass doors and throw the log book and two keys at them....

And just to cover myself incase I get labelled a troll, this disgusting service (or lack of) I've received is no reflection of buying a renault car, just simply a peice of scum con artist **** of a franchise dealer.

Last edited:
That's terrible mate sorry to hear all those troubles you've had with it, and the repeated ones. Those dents are just not acceptable either :worried:

That's terrible mate sorry to hear all those troubles you've had with it, and the repeated ones. Those dents are just not acceptable either :worried:

I'm at the stage now where even if they repair it I don't want it now.

Car makes me feel sick looking at it with the marks on the wheels and the damage to wing mirror.

Car was honestly mint when I bought it.

I've got a feeling they won't let me reject the car though, but guess time will tell.

Will call finance company tomorrow though let them know the situation and try and do things through them, i.e say the car is not fit for purpose and it's not reasonable to be in and out of the garage this often after not even making one finance payment lol

Finance were obviously aware of initial issues but thought it was getting resoved with a repair (so did I until today)

Last edited:
Letter from finance company

20121227192043medium.jpg

Unbelievable. Can't you take this up with Renault and insist that from now on the work is done by a garage who is actually competent - this is what I would do. Name and shame these jokers so that everyone here can avoid like the plague.

Last edited:
ask the service manager does he know what "incompetent" means.....

and renault think that clio4 is going to be a success - it could be the best car in the world but with dealers like this they just wont have repeat custom :thumbdown:

and the dealer is???????????????????????????

need to name and shame as members need to avoid these monkeys!!!!

Dealer is now visible for all to see.

To be fair the car has problems and I could have bought a car from anywhere, even new and had problems, but what's annoyed me is the after service I've received, from being fobbed off with the gearbox where they said if Renault didn't cover it I'd be liable, to then picking the car up yesterday with damage that they firstly denied was them, then looked on the inspection sheet and then agreed it was, and the new issues the car has.

I'm fed up because I've owned the car for just over 3 weeks now, it's been in the dealership 4 times, today will be the 5th time and they've had the car as much as I have.

I'm up early now so I can turn upfirst thing this morning with the car so they can look at it, it honestly drives like **** now, and what's really annoying is the time and petrol I'm wasting driving to the garage each time as it's not local to me.

On a more positive note, Renault themselves have been good, they replaced the gearbox on the car when they didn't have to, that has not put me off renault. But the dealership will NEVER see a penny from me again and I don't think I'd use a franchised dealer again (I'm aware not all franchise dealers are bad), and no one I know will even consider going there after all this....

Anyway steps from now are turn up at dealer first thing after a nice tast mcdonalds breakfast (I'm often not up early enough to buy one lol) then get home and call finance company to give them an update that I'm 100% rejecting the car.

Just so things make sense, the letter I've posted here was sent before gearbox was fixed, at the time once repairs had been arranged I decided to keep the car as to be fair I love the spec, and how it drove (at the start). But the dealership has had enough chances now, and I'm not gonna keep going back and forth to a garage.

All of this is too much considering I haven't owned the car for a month yet and I'm still kicking myself for putting new tyres on the car to replace the budget nexen speed rating h tyres they had on. I blew nearly 500 on fitting some conti sport 5 tyres....

Also noticed this dealer hasd a habit of putting cheap tyres, infact some cars have mismatched tyres front and rear lol, even spotted one with mismatched on the axle too.....

I just hope I can reject the car, if I can't then 10000000% I'm not taking the car back until it's had an independant inspection that confirms it's working as it should.

20121227192043medium2.jpg

Last edited:
I would say 'don't cut your nose off to spite your face' especially since you have £500 invested in the tyres (presumably you no longer have the budget tyres?). You have a new gearbox from Renault which should have the new synchros fitted (i.e. should not go wrong again), and the steering could be corrected by someone who knows what they are doing - likewise the damage to body/mirror/wheels. I know you are well hacked off right now and I can fully understand why, but if you like the spec of your car, might be worth sticking with it?

Best of luck.

I would say 'don't cut your nose off to spite your face' especially since you have £500 invested in the tyres (presumably you no longer have the budget tyres?). You have a new gearbox from Renault which should have the new synchros fitted (i.e. should not go wrong again), and the steering could be corrected by someone who knows what they are doing - likewise the damage to body/mirror/wheels. I know you are well hacked off right now and I can fully understand why, but if you like the spec of your car, might be worth sticking with it?

Best of luck.

to be honest i think he is right to give it back....

why should the dealers provide such a piss poor service to the guy and his motor and think its ready when its just been thrown back together and not get any REAL hassle from it....

toomey renault basildon = bunch of cowboys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck.

I don't have the tyres they were left atthe tyre place.

I'm at basildon McDonald's waiting for 8am and straight to dealer.

On the one hand as you say I don't want to waste the tyres but I'd rather lose 480 than have this hassle.

The gearbox isn't right it struggles to go in gear even and I'm getting a loud clunk when I push the clutch in, car is pulling violently when accelerating too.

I'm so peed off now...if the car was 100% fixed I'd have felt better despite the damage but as it stands I'm so angry

I'm tempted to film them and post it on here lol

to be honest i think he is right to give it back....

why should the dealers provide such a piss poor service to the guy and his motor and think its ready when its just been thrown back together and not get any REAL hassle from it....

toomey renault basildon = bunch of cowboys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

That's exactly what I'm thinking, it's not right at all that the car should be going back yet again after they have had it for over a week and to be fair it's come back worse than before as not only does it not go in gear it clunks and the steering knocks like before and pulls violently and the steering wheel isn't straight

Firstly I don't think the second hand part of the franchised dealership is anything to do with RUK.

But if you want to keep the car (I know you have said no due to the dealer) perhaps they will pay for everything fixing at another garage of your choice if you ask them.

I'm not for the area. It may be that someone is and able to suggest a good garage near you they trust.

If the car isn't going in gear and the clutch is causing you issues then it should more likely that than the gearbox.

I wouldn't film it but I would put you mobile on the table and tell them you are recording the conversation but wait till the person you want to speak to is there so he can't be pre warned and become suddenly in available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm there now won't film faces just record conversation

With regards to clutch I asked them to inspect it while doing gearbox and they said clutch was "perfect"

Last edited:
I'm there now won't film faces just record conversation

With regards to clutch I asked them to inspect it while doing gearbox and they said clutch was "perfect"

it might have been till they put it back together..................

it might have been till they put it back together..................

lol you're probably right.

Well sales manager wasn't in when I got there which I'm not surprised about as I got their when it opened, so the log book etc stayed firmly in my hand, I didn't make a scene. Just simply stated my concerns calmly and politely (while another customer watched and looked worried dropping his car in) that they've had the car for a week to carry out rerpairs, damaged it while in their possession and it's now back with them less than 24 hours to carry out more repairs.

Technician came and drove car with me in it, spotted the issues I brought up and I'm back at home with my lovely twingo.

Got onto the finance company as soon as I got in, gave them an update in that after the dealer having my car for over a week to repair it, it's gone back in for repairs less than 24 hours.

I've stated to them that I want to reject the car as it's not fit for purpose and it's not reasonable to have a car that has been in the dealers longer than I've had it in my posession. Also that the dealer has had more than enough chances to rectify issues and the car should not have been back today seeing as they were meant to have fixed the issues.

Someone from complaints department will call me later.

Just realised like an idiot I didn't mention to the finance company that the car was damaged while the dealer had it in their possession.

Will mention that when I get a call back, as that's just the icing on the cake really.

To be honest while I'm annoyed about the damage, I wouldn't reject a car for it, and doubt it would be reason enough.

It's because it's been in and out of the dealers so many times (in the 3 weeks I've owned it), and gone back less than 24 hours after them having it to repair that I've now lost confidence in the car and their ability to repair it.

Last edited:
mate, i would NEVER keep that car after all that. Tell them so firmly and stand by what you say. speak to CAB about this, any maybe even get a letter from them backing you up.