Best track tyre

How can a tyre which won in 2005 come 5th in 2013, when the tyre which came 2nd in 2005 won in 2013?

What the test fails to mention is which compound tyres where used, kumho v70's are a true Motorsport tyre which come in many compounds eg, k11 super soft, k22 soft, K60/61 medium and K90 hard.
For example - 2005 could of been with the brilliant k60 compound and 2013 with the not so good K90's.
Please don't confuse what kumho do in motor sport tyres to there road tyres.

The brand snobbery above is comical btw.

Reactions: papa
Not used hankooks, but how about Dunlop Direza dz03g as I have found these to be superb once warmed up and they don't go off after a few laps like Federal 595 rsr's tended too.

Just done a track day with a set of Federal FZ-201's...they take a couple of laps to warm up but when they do by god they're fantastic. They just get better and better. I took 2 seconds of my old lap time at knockhill with them on.
Night and day compared to my 888's.

Just done a track day with a set of Federal FZ-201's...they take a couple of laps to warm up but when they do by god they're fantastic. They just get better and better. I took 2 seconds of my old lap time at knockhill with them on.
Night and day compared to my 888's.

Where did you get the FZ201s from and how much were they? Very tempted to try the new R888r next.

I got them from a gent on the track Scotland forum. They were only used once. He's selling his track car and I got them for a really good price.
Demon thieves sell them, for 17's they're over £200 a pop.

The new Toyos do look good.

Dmacks are great for dry conditions proper Motorsport carcass like the dunlops.
I use the dunlops on my 435bhp corrado they take a lap or two to come on but once up to temp you can keep going round and round.

I currently run Michelin PS3's X load (non squidgy sidewall), this is the first time I've considered track style tyres. I mainly go looking for decent roads to enjoy so want the best grip possible in that scenario but also plan to get on track once or twice a year. After reading this whole thread and some reviews elsewhere, I get the impression that it might be possible to run a decent medium compound "track day" tyre all year round on my daily (as long as I'm careful when they are cold for the first couple of miles). Is this right? If it is then that means running any premium normal tyre is a compromise in performance in any conditions apart from say torrential rain or snow? The only trade off being a faster wear rate? Or am I simplifying this too much... I hope all that makes sense cheers

I currently run Michelin PS3's X load (non squidgy sidewall), this is the first time I've considered track style tyres. I mainly go looking for decent roads to enjoy so want the best grip possible in that scenario but also plan to get on track once or twice a year. After reading this whole thread and some reviews elsewhere, I get the impression that it might be possible to run a decent medium compound "track day" tyre all year round on my daily (as long as I'm careful when they are cold for the first couple of miles). Is this right? If it is then that means running any premium normal tyre is a compromise in performance in any conditions apart from say torrential rain or snow? The only trade off being a faster wear rate? Or am I simplifying this too much... I hope all that makes sense cheers

For the road I'd get something like the yoko AD08r rather than an outright semi slick. TBH on the road if you're getting enough heat in a semi slick then you are probably driving dangerously.

I currently run eagle f1 assy3 as a daily tyre, but managed to pick up another set of cup wheels off here last year. I want to throw some track rubber on these, what will be a good choice for 2017?

Thanks

With that budget you have lots of choice. Could probably get Dunlop dz03g or Toyo R88R for £600. If you want to spend less take a look at the Nankang AR-1 as they are about £100 and get good reviews from people who have tried lots of tyres. I might give them a go next

i think it's a bit pointless to get direzza's or triple eights if you run non-adjustable suspension. you won't get max performance from those tyres, if you can't run (change to) some decent camber.

i can recommend yokohama AD08R's. not as competitive as real semi slicks, but lots better than street tyres. best bit is, they're well inside your budget.