Best track tyre

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by N0ddie, Mar 10, 2013.

1. fredrickr26

fredrickr26

Car:
    R26 / Lotus Exige cup 260
    How can a tyre which won in 2005 come 5th in 2013, when the tyre which came 2nd in 2005 won in 2013?

What the test fails to mention is which compound tyres where used, kumho v70's are a true Motorsport tyre which come in many compounds eg, k11 super soft, k22 soft, K60/61 medium and K90 hard.
    For example - 2005 could of been with the brilliant k60 compound and 2013 with the not so good K90's.
    Please don't confuse what kumho do in motor sport tyres to there road tyres.

The brand snobbery above is comical btw.

papa likes this.

2. Flacsi

Flacsi

Car:
    Red Clio RS 197
    Guys, back to business, anyone got track-day experience any of these Hankook semi-slicks?
    Why I am asking as I used 2 sets of R888's on track, have to say, that in warm weather they last for a short time, shoulders are gone easily.
    Now wondering to change for AD048/50 or one of these Hankook semis Ventus Z214 or Z221:

http://www.hankooktire.com/global/tires-services/competition-cars.html

3. john_walker74

john_walker74 Paid Member

Car:
    Meg 250 cup
    Not used hankooks, but how about Dunlop Direza dz03g as I have found these to be superb once warmed up and they don't go off after a few laps like Federal 595 rsr's tended too.

papa likes this.
  4. Kazumz

Kazumz

Car:
    Clio RS 200 Gordini
    Wrong reply! Edited.

5. rosscoe

rosscoe Platinum Member

Car:
    clio 197/ BMW e46 M3/ Disco td5 Remapped..
    Just done a track day with a set of Federal FZ-201's...they take a couple of laps to warm up but when they do by god they're fantastic. They just get better and better. I took 2 seconds of my old lap time at knockhill with them on.
    Night and day compared to my 888's.

papa likes this.
  6. john_walker74

Car:
    Meg 250 cup
    Where did you get the FZ201s from and how much were they? Very tempted to try the new R888r next.

7. rosscoe

rosscoe Platinum Member

Car:
    clio 197/ BMW e46 M3/ Disco td5 Remapped..
    I got them from a gent on the track Scotland forum. They were only used once. He's selling his track car and I got them for a really good price.
    Demon thieves sell them, for 17's they're over £200 a pop.

The new Toyos do look good.

8. nicknameless

nicknameless

The dunlops are superb. Last ages, and don't go off as above.

904L likes this.
  9. RSinclair

RSinclair

Car:
    Clio 200 cup VW corrado
    Dmacks are great for dry conditions proper Motorsport carcass like the dunlops.
    I use the dunlops on my 435bhp corrado they take a lap or two to come on but once up to temp you can keep going round and round.

10. dunny83

dunny83

Car:
    Clio 197
    I currently run Michelin PS3's X load (non squidgy sidewall), this is the first time I've considered track style tyres. I mainly go looking for decent roads to enjoy so want the best grip possible in that scenario but also plan to get on track once or twice a year. After reading this whole thread and some reviews elsewhere, I get the impression that it might be possible to run a decent medium compound "track day" tyre all year round on my daily (as long as I'm careful when they are cold for the first couple of miles). Is this right? If it is then that means running any premium normal tyre is a compromise in performance in any conditions apart from say torrential rain or snow? The only trade off being a faster wear rate? Or am I simplifying this too much... I hope all that makes sense cheers

11. nicknameless

nicknameless

For the road I'd get something like the yoko AD08r rather than an outright semi slick. TBH on the road if you're getting enough heat in a semi slick then you are probably driving dangerously.

papa likes this.
  12. dunny83

dunny83

Car:
    Clio 197
    Ah ok, that I did not know. I'll look into the Yoko's, thanks

13. Karl_F

Karl_F Gold Member

Car:
    RS Clio 200
    I currently run eagle f1 assy3 as a daily tyre, but managed to pick up another set of cup wheels off here last year. I want to throw some track rubber on these, what will be a good choice for 2017?

Thanks

14. john_walker74

Car:
    Meg 250 cup
    Lots of choice, but it really is budget dependent. What is your rough budget?

15. Karl_F

Karl_F Gold Member

Car:
    RS Clio 200
    Probably £5-600

16. nutnutwelshman

nutnutwelshman Gold Member

Car:
    Renault
    Would love track based rubber but no storage so just turn up and go with what ever is on the hairdryer

Johnny 99 likes this.
  17. john_walker74

Car:
    Meg 250 cup
    With that budget you have lots of choice. Could probably get Dunlop dz03g or Toyo R88R for £600. If you want to spend less take a look at the Nankang AR-1 as they are about £100 and get good reviews from people who have tried lots of tyres. I might give them a go next

papa likes this.
  18. peter

peter POTM Winner - February 2017 Gold Member

Car:
    RB7 #166
    i think it's a bit pointless to get direzza's or triple eights if you run non-adjustable suspension. you won't get max performance from those tyres, if you can't run (change to) some decent camber.

i can recommend yokohama AD08R's. not as competitive as real semi slicks, but lots better than street tyres. best bit is, they're well inside your budget.

papa likes this.
  19. Karl_F

Karl_F Gold Member

Car:
    RS Clio 200
    Thanks, I'll have a look at those

20. Vladikar

Vladikar Platinum Member

Car:
    Meg/Clio
    Hi Guys, what is the best budget track tyre for the Clio?

My Clio is purely track use only