Best track tyre

Also you have to judge all these things on new tyres. If yo have smashed round for a few hours and your tyres are worn, they will be far worse.

Dmacks are great for dry conditions proper Motorsport carcass like the dunlops.
I use the dunlops on my 435bhp corrado they take a lap or two to come on but once up to temp you can keep going round and round.
I know this post was for 2015, but I have around 20 new 225 45 R17 Dmack tyres that need to go. They are the same overall width as a 215 RS-R. I'll put a post in the for sale section.

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/nankang-sportnex-ns-2r-tyre-548754/

Anyone tried these? I plan to do some sprints and hillclimbs next year in a 197, just bought the 197, but need tyres, break pads, race suite, gloves, helmet. It all adds up and these tyres are a nice price. If they are ok Id go with them to get me going, although if they are useless there is no point. They seem to get decent reviews
It depends what you expect and also what sort of sprints you are doing. There is nothing wrong with them in so far that they are an entry level track tyre. You will find turn in response is far better than the average road tyre and ultimately grip is better. As with all of these tyres though it is not night and day difference. What you will find however is that they are less forgiving than the average road tyre. The other thing is these are (as in this type of tyre) designed to operate at higher temperatures and so a short hill climb course such as Prescott is not going to get that heat into them. Longer sprints so Combe and like will get more benefit but you will have to be cautious of the rear on early corners as you don't get green flag laps.
for this actual tyre it is quite shrieky and also can quite snappy.
Here is part of a tyre test that included NS-2R. You can here the difficulty in getting power down, particularly on the opening laps, but it carries on all the way through and they desire for the back to want to get away.

Reactions: av4625
It depends what you expect and also what sort of sprints you are doing. There is nothing wrong with them in so far that they are an entry level track tyre. You will find turn in response is far better than the average road tyre and ultimately grip is better. As with all of these tyres though it is not night and day difference. What you will find however is that they are less forgiving than the average road tyre. The other thing is these are (as in this type of tyre) designed to operate at higher temperatures and so a short hill climb course such as Prescott is not going to get that heat into them. Longer sprints so Combe and like will get more benefit but you will have to be cautious of the rear on early corners as you don't get green flag laps.
for this actual tyre it is quite shrieky and also can quite snappy.
Here is part of a tyre test that included NS-2R. You can here the difficulty in getting power down, particularly on the opening laps, but it carries on all the way through and they desire for the back to want to get away.
Thanks for the great reply

Has the thinking on track day tyres changed since this thread? The latest yoko get really mixed reviews.

Best - Slicks
Good - AR-1, R888R or dz03

the AD08r & RS were only at best a summer tyre.. the new compound is a lot harder hence why people moan about them on track.

a proper semi slick isn’t cheap hence why people stick to a road tyre that’s ok on track..
595 RSR or NS2r are supposed to be ok

Don't forget the MRF tyre which many consider to be the equal or better to the Direzza. They are certainly grippy, consistent and very durable.

I think potentially I will go slicks as will have a set of std alloys with PS4’s. Really like the ps4 on track - just overheated too quickly.

Anyone have any experience of RS1 Toyo slicks? There don’t seem to be many reviews on them

Thanks for the replies as always guys the forum is great:wink:

Reactions: Beany
I think potentially I will go slicks as will have a set of std alloys with PS4’s. Really like the ps4 on track - just overheated too quickly.

Anyone have any experience of RS1 Toyo slicks? There don’t seem to be many reviews on them

Thanks for the replies as always guys the forum is great:wink:

Yeah the PS4s are great, I have them as road tyre and when it’s wet / damp..

You can usually find Michelin slicks from the Clio cup racers fairly cheap for a decent 2nd hand pair.. I’ve heard Dunlop are also pretty good.

Not heard anything in the toyo ones

Slicks will not have reviews. Slicks are made to do a job and that is rarely more than an hour's total running or in the case of GT's, more than a tank of fuel. It is not uncommon at all to come across posts from people wondering why their part worn slicks have not lasted a morning. 3 to 3.5 mm is the typically the most rubber you get on a slick. You will get some generic ones, such as sprint slicks, or Hill Climb which are ridiculously soft but would be toast after 2 to 3 laps of most circuits. If you are running a championship that used slicks you would most likely be taking to the manufacture to get the tyre construction and compounds tweaked you what you need. You would then of course be buying several hundred tyres across the year. The ones you can get from Demon Tweeks etc will have been designed for something, just that they are now selling them openly. No slick is made specifically for track day use. If you are racing then stuff like how quickly they come on, if they are 2/10ths quicker, and why, and how long they remain competitive matters, it is not something that should matter at all on a track day. What you will find however is that thy will place a great deal more strain on the car. You would ideally have spring, damper and geometry set up to cope with this and you do run the risk, if you over grip "normal" suspension of just making the car feel dull.