Why did you buy the 197 over the VXR?

Lol. I didnt buy a 197 instead of a VXr. I bought the VXR. I test drove both before buying and thought the VXR was better. (Better looking, faster and comfortable).

However, I have since sold the VXR (Almost a year ago after having it for a year) and am awaiting delivery of our new 200.

Oi you lot!

I ask for simple feed back and all i get is abuse towards VXR owners!

lol!

Did you know the VXR is faster round the ring? but that doesnt mean the driver had anymore fun! :tongue_smilie:

Acording to the MRS who i think only fancied me because of my supercharger the Corsa is for girls but the clio the mature enthusiast,

SO thats that settled for me!

although 300 bhp in a corsa does sound fun! :wink:

Pete

I looked at the VXR before I bought the clio and I actually liked the VXR to be fair its a nice car. I always notice them on the road.

But I went for the clio as it was imo better looking and more grown up. The VXR is a car I may have purchased when i was 18-21 but for a 26 year old, for me anyway, it was trying too hard to look a bit too boy racer. But as I said a nice car, and only my opinion. I can see why someone would want to buy one.

I actually went to Renault Birmingham after a RS Megane DCI, but when I first went they had just sold a standard black 197 and I couldn't stop looking at it - it was so much more appealing than the Meg, despite the fact that I 'needed' a Diesel due to mileage.

Then, next day I got a call - we have an R27 in, in black. I went back, took one look at it, and bought it there and then.

I've done nearly 17k in 10 months, which has been painful fuel wise, but I don't regret it one bit. I keep talking about selling it, but then I drive it and fall in love with it again.

As for the VXR - it didn't even get a look in, wasn't even on my list. I like a driver's car, always have, always will. That's just a straight line hero with a remap, the chassis isn't sorted enough, and Corsa's have always had a horrendous image in my eyes.

I'd admited 182's and 172's from afar when I had my Fiesta ZS and ST, so the 197 made all kinds of sense.

RenaultSport have the heritage. VXR does not.

Got to say this but...

...I prefer the interior of the VXR to the 197. If I could have a 197 body, the corsa dashboard, stereo etc and the RS seats... perfect car for me!

that VXR looks g@y with all the fins and grills and twirls...

yes VXR sounds sooo nice... but 197 is sooo much more rewarding :wink:

Oi you lot!

I ask for simple feed back and all i get is abuse towards VXR owners!

lol!

Did you know the VXR is faster round the ring? but that doesnt mean the driver had anymore fun! :tongue_smilie:

Acording to the MRS who i think only fancied me because of my supercharger the Corsa is for girls but the clio the mature enthusiast,

SO thats that settled for me!

although 300 bhp in a corsa does sound fun! :wink:

Pete

If your thinking of 300 ponies in a C-VXR then look to add £10k for Regal to do the conversion and other items that you need, like bigger brakes (that you get on the 197/200) The C-VXR has no LSD or Electric LSD to control the power between the wheels, which at 300 ponies you will definitely need. The C-VXR as mentioned already has a huge amount of body roll but some more money spent on it can correct that. Tuning potential is great, a remap will easily see 225 and a few mods will be looking at 240bhp. There is a fair amount of turbo lag but that can be adjusted with a remap. Then you will start to push the boundaries of the engine, Piston 4 Issues which many people have had. Rear wheel bearings only lasting a few thousand miles, even on new cars. Shall i go on??

I have driven both the A-VXR and C-VXR and loved both of them, even ordered a C-VXR Artic Edition which later got canceled! Shame Renault dont give the clio half leather tho like the corsa as i do love those seats. They both need money chucked at them to make them a drivable car, even then it wouldn't be on par with a clio for handling.

IMO straight line driving you would see a C-VXR pull away from the clio, soon as you chuck bends in to it then good bye C-VXR!!! (Also depends on the drivers)

we were going to order a VXR before even test driving one, we've had vauxhalls for years and could have got a cracking deal on one. But we decided to wait for a demo car to come in (the VXR had just been released) and while it was a nice car we were left a little underwelmed, we both bot out of it and said yes, good car. But thats not what a hot hatch is about, well to us anyway.

We then went and tested a 197 and both jumped out the car with the biggest grins on our faces it just felt great when we drove it, we got out saying WOW great car. The VXR is a good car and I know that the build quality would have been better and I would have got fantastic aftersales from the vx dealer I use. But it just didnt have the "je ne sais quoi" that the 197 has, plus I tested them both on the same route and the 197 did handle better.

IMO you buy a hot hatch with your heart, so you get the one that makes you feel best when your drivng it

I test drove one before I got the R27 and the best two bits about the whole thing was

A) The dials did a cool thing of going all the way round and back to zero again when you started it up

B) Getting back to the garage so I could get out of the car and go home.

Body roll through the corners scared me tbh. Rubbish car in terms of cornering performance.

Also the salesman was a dhick

Like others I didn't even consider the Corsa. Looks too girly for my liking and I wanted a normally aspirated car after a bunch of turbocharged ones.

the one thing that i did find a little unsettling with the VXR was the ESP system, when it activated I found rather than lots of little pulses it did less, bigger ones. Which kinda made the car bounce a little which is not what u want when cornering at speed lol

I thought of the VXR when I was looking for a new one, but to be honest I think they're just a little vulgar and childish. They all seem to get driven by 17 year old with rich parents who cant drive for S**t, so that image didnt really apeal. Me and the GF were buying the car together anyway and she hates them so that ruled that out anyway lol!

If your thinking of 300 ponies in a C-VXR then look to add £10k for Regal to do the conversion and other items that you need, like bigger brakes (that you get on the 197/200) The C-VXR has no LSD or Electric LSD to control the power between the wheels, which at 300 ponies you will definitely need. The C-VXR as mentioned already has a huge amount of body roll but some more money spent on it can correct that. Tuning potential is great, a remap will easily see 225 and a few mods will be looking at 240bhp. There is a fair amount of turbo lag but that can be adjusted with a remap. Then you will start to push the boundaries of the engine, Piston 4 Issues which many people have had. Rear wheel bearings only lasting a few thousand miles, even on new cars. Shall i go on??

I have driven both the A-VXR and C-VXR and loved both of them, even ordered a C-VXR Artic Edition which later got canceled! Shame Renault dont give the clio half leather tho like the corsa as i do love those seats. They both need money chucked at them to make them a drivable car, even then it wouldn't be on par with a clio for handling.

IMO straight line driving you would see a C-VXR pull away from the clio, soon as you chuck bends in to it then good bye C-VXR!!! (Also depends on the drivers)

Theres a good few 300+ Corsa VXrs going about now-a-days. Think its almost double figures (All from Regal Autosport in Southampton).

I think 60% of them have had the full works (ie. diff, bigger brakes, suspension etc. So if tuning is what yer after, the Corsa is the road to go down. I had about 230BHP in mine.

Also, in the hands of yer average joe the handling differences wont be that noticable. Ie. you aint gonna max either out on a public road so the differences are negligable.

On a track though. Standard vs. standard, the clio wins.

I have to say, the thought didn't even cross my mind. I tested a fiesta ST - really slow considering its a fiesta with a 2 litre engine and a 172 Cup - awesome but it scared the life out of my girlfriend. I went to a Renault dealer to test drive a 182 cup but it was sold so I ended up testing an R27 demonstrator and buying the R27 that day!

Was going to buy a artic but the sales guy was a dick and didn't seem interested in the sale test drove the 197, WOW!!! sales guy at Renault was ace got great discount with abit of haggling, SOLD SOLD SOLD :smile:

This is probs due to the 200 being released shortly after

Ummmmmm the corsa is .1 of a second faster in a straight line, it would be exactly the same, thats like saying the clio is faster as it can do 141mph and the corsa 139 or what ever the arctic can do.
There is no way in hell it would pull away with .1, no way.