Why did you buy the 197 over the VXR?

Hi

I know this has been discussed umpteen times in various forms but im not asking which one is better but simply why did you buy your 197 or 200 over the VXR?

I test drove the 197 last year and loved it but now when i talk to people about getting one all i here is why not the VXR? i haven't driven one yet to comment but was wondering on your thoughts?

Coming from a 450+ bhp car the tuning potential of the VXR is appealing and my eyes have been wondering away from the clio, So was wondering what your thoughts were when you chose the clio?

Thanks

Pete

For me it was pretty simple.

1. Im a Renault fan through and through.
2. 197 looks better than the VXR IMO
3. Handling, felt too much bodyroll in the VXR.
4. I have a slight hate towards Vauxhall.

I spent a week in Scotland in a VXR and it was like sitting on a concrete bench - it was wildly uncomfortable and I just hated it.

i actually ordered a vxr when it was first announced, was luckily put on the 5 month order list which gave me enough time to drive the real machine. test drove the 197 cup, then went back for another go, then in an ff one at another garage. Put in my order straight away. Went the very next day to the vauxhall garage and cancelled. The bloke said 'but......but.....we cant refund your 500 pound deposit'.............. and i said 'keep it, im buying a renault!'. and i was short on money at the time. thats how sure i was!!!!!

All round better car, better handling, better looks, better sound, more fun, much more of a drivers car................oh and its not a vauxhall corsa.

will never ever ever regret it, or miss that 500 quid at all!

IM IN LURVE!!!!

Was going to buy a artic but the sales guy was a dick and didn't seem interested in the sale test drove the 197, WOW!!! sales guy at Renault was ace got great discount with abit of haggling, SOLD SOLD SOLD :smile:

personally i never considered one for the following
the worst car i ever had was a vecrta build quality and reliability was shocking.
looks wise they're not my cup of tea,
all the press at the time where raving about the 197 and not the VXR.

I like both cars, however only like the vxr arctic edition. went for the 197 because i love the looks and the way it handles. the vxr is more tunable, but as far as i can see, more power would just worsen the torque steer! oh yer and as has been mentioned... its a corsa!! so glad i went for the 197!

if you meet a girl and she says what do you drive.?
would really like to say "a corsa"
everyone loves a clio.

i went to buy the Arctic version after seeing all the pics and feature,s on it and i thought i looked very nice, then i went down to my local dealer for a test drive, well ?

it just didnt do anything for me, NOTHING at all, i didnt even take it out for some straight line speed, lol :biggrin:

then i seen the clio :drool: MOMMA MIA loved it, ( love at first sight ), lol

clio FTW.

if you meet a girl and she says what do you drive.?
would really like to say "a corsa"
everyone loves a clio.

Also, you need to be able to speak Corsa language too....

I is fierce blud innit, is u wonting to race saxosss up and downand show off my new lexus lights and chrome wipers innit

I don't speak Corsa language, and regularly struggle to understand what they say :wink:

^^ You forgot to speak about you did exhaust? :wink: braaaap!

Anyways, obviously since were all clio owners we are going to say this, but iv also seen the VXR vs 197 threads.. and what a laugh they are over on the vxronline.. lol!

Note: My mate owns a VXR and she was showing me some threads, hence why i have seen them! lol

I test drove 3 different corsa VXR's before the 197 cup and thought it was pretty good, Sounded nice and plenty of power. Then i test drove a Black 197 F1 for starters what a stunning looking car absolutly loved it. I noticed much more people looking at the 197 than the VXR. I went away and thought about it for half an hour..... Well you all know what my decision was lol
js1024__MG_8730.jpg
26,000 miles later and i still love it. Things i love
The sound
The looks
Handling
Engine
Everything basically

The Renault sales man was top notch to new everything about the car gave me all the extra's free. Unfortunetly Bridges renault went bust just after hope he never lost his job, he could've tought the vauxhall sales man a thing or two.

By the sound of things Vauxhall sales team just seem to be grown up chavs that got a job in the end?

That maybe sounds harsh but hey. lol

Joking aside, everyone has their own tastes, and if thats what makes them happy then so be it.

I dare say that VXR owners have the same issues with the 197 as we have with the VXR!

The VXR is still shit though

8)8)

I never even considered the Corsa VXR. I owned a mk2 ph1 Clio many years ago and always aspired towards owning the orginal 172. When the time came when I was in a situation where insurance and general running costs where a realistic option I was torn 3 ways.

1) Buy a ph1 172 and mod it like I had always wanted
2) Buy a 197 and leave it alone for a while
3) Buy a Lancia Delta Integrale EVO II and keep it mint

At the time, I didnt need a daily drive, as I commuted by train, but I did need a car I could rely on as my job role involved going to see clients etc. So that discounted the Lancia, which also kept her in doors happy.

Then it was down to either the 197 or a 172, again the issue of the need of it for work, the other half not being so keen, and a good deal on the 197 meant I walked away from the dealership having ordered the 197.

Part of me regrets it, as not long after getting the 197 I changed jobs and ended up with a company car so it really didnt matter what my car was. But then whenever I go for a good blast, I cant help thinking that I made the right decision, as for an all round package, nothing I was considering would have been as good, Integrale included.

Stumac, that generally is a hard decision to make! The Integrale EVO, is a phenomenal looking car, so is the phase 1 and also the 197. But as you said maybe you have chosen the right car, the other two options might have taken you a fair tour in the cash department.