Why did you buy the 197 over the VXR?

For me it has been a car I have wanted for years - ever since I saw the first publicity shots (before I had a license lol) and it has only ever been one colour that I wanted! My best mates GF works for Car People and she told me they had one coming in, initially I was going down just to have a look and take it for a cheeky test drive. I wasn't even looking to buy a car at the time but I completely fell in love with everything about it so I bought it there and then! My god did it take some explaining to my parents when I got home!!!

In my opinion the VXR isn't as appealing, the Clio is much more aggressive rather than looking like the corsa, sprayed in glue and driven through a branch of Halfrauds. I could never own a Vauxhall as they dont stand out and they dont have a good image. In the Clio on the motorway people automatically get out of your way, driving along the street people stop and stare and all I ever hear is people telling me how cool it looks, I cant see it being the same in a corsa!

Oh and my grandma drives a corsa.... 'nuff said lol! :wink:

Just had a deeper look into this and stumbled across this site... http://www.fastestlaps.com/track2.html

To settle it once and for all the clio is faster round the ring by..... a massive..... 0.51 secs lol!

Both are 8 secs faster than a mini cooper s works though :thumbup:

Ummmmmm the corsa is .1 of a second faster in a straight line, it would be exactly the same, thats like saying the clio is faster as it can do 141mph and the corsa 139 or what ever the arctic can do.
There is no way in hell it would pull away with .1, no way.

the corsa vxr 888 225bhp is close to a second faster to 60 so that unfortunately will pull away

Last edited:
For me it has been a car I have wanted for years - ever since I saw the first publicity shots (before I had a license lol) and it has only ever been one colour that I wanted! My best mates GF works for Car People and she told me they had one coming in, initially I was going down just to have a look and take it for a cheeky test drive. I wasn't even looking to buy a car at the time but I completely fell in love with everything about it so I bought it there and then! My god did it take some explaining to my parents when I got home!!!

In my opinion the VXR isn't as appealing, the Clio is much more aggressive rather than looking like the corsa, sprayed in glue and driven through a branch of Halfrauds. I could never own a Vauxhall as they dont stand out and they dont have a good image. In the Clio on the motorway people automatically get out of your way, driving along the street people stop and stare and all I ever hear is people telling me how cool it looks, I cant see it being the same in a corsa!

Oh and my grandma drives a corsa.... 'nuff said lol! :wink:

the clio does get looks, id say racing blue and liquid yellow definately stand out from the crowd. :thumbup1:

I did look at the VXR but just didn’t think it was as nice as the 197, first time I seen a 197 I wanted it, I just think the Corsa looks very thin compared to the 197, the 197 has such a road presence and turns a lot of heads which is nice. Also I seen fifth gear when they did the 197 vs VXR and the 197 was the best. I had only just passed my test when I fist seen the 197 and no way I could insure it so after a year on the road decided to get one then, very happy I did.

With the 197,you know that if the car in front of you turns, then you can turn too..that's a feeling i would't change with anything else in the world....'nuff said.

I lost £7000 on my 2001 Astra SRI in 3 years, even being ex-demo with top spec. Never buy Vauxhall again. 2.2ltr only had around 170bhp !