Luke_197 Progress thread

Haha yeah the cheeky 200 diffuser does throw people. I know right it's an absolute nightmare, stuck behind a learner for abit as well so no air was coming in haha. I swear you came out of no where as well haha, I was chasing an S3, look in my rear view and there you were haha.

And I've moved to reading for work in the past month. Got caught doing 50 in a 30 two nights ago as well. What a mug. RS scene around here lively?

Haha looked great with the carbon tips, you've sold me on them, I'm getting some now aha. [emoji106] haha tell me about it, at least you have air con though. As soon as I spotted you I was said to the gf "need to catch up incase with him just incase he's a forum member" and sure enough...[emoji4] didn't see that s3.

Fair enough mate will probably bump into you at some point. We will have to stop and have a chat next time. That sucks about the speeding ticket mate, were about did you get caught? I would avoid speeding at all costs around reading gate as alot of the little chavys congregate around there and cause mayhem, making it a police hotspot. However there's a really good Jap meet there once a month which is worth attending. As for the RS scene it's never been to hot around Reading or Wokingham which is where I'm closest too. However it is picking up. There's a few 200/197's popping up around here but not too many, I like it that there aren't many though. Make our cars more unique. [emoji1]

Great thread Luke. I have a 182 cup and thinking of getting a 197. Any differences in your experience from your 197 to the 200?

Hahaaa yeah mate get the tips done. The first thing i modded (other than de badge haha) was the 200 diffuser. Needed the chunky ass! Yeah mate definitely up for a chat and to see the car. The whole situation with the ticket was so so so annyoing. Im seeing this lass in Bracknell so i left hers about 11pm. Drove home like a granny until i got to the railway bridge near the strip club in reading. Made some noise under the bridge and then bam, speed gun. Couldnt believe it!!

I climb ay reading climbing centre like 4 times a week and they love their RS'! So far ive seen an AB 197, GW 200, loads of 172 amd 182s. 250 meg, 225 f1 meg. All sorts haha.

And if you're ever up for a blast, gimme a shout.

A few new parts, nothing exciting. Going to two techs in a weeks time to have my gearbox oil changed to some Fuchs titans into fluid 75-80W.(from opie oils)

Will be having some Goodridge braided hoses with stainless fittings fitted too. The clutch slave is going to be bleed as my gear change is not very smooth. Also the fluid is being replaced with AP racing fluid dot 5.1. Thanks to cazan racing for supplying the hoses and fluid.

qyjemu4a.jpg

Great thread Luke. I have a 182 cup and thinking of getting a 197. Any differences in your experience from your 197 to the 200?

Sorry for the late reply bud, thanks very much. Hard to say really as my 197 was a full fat non cup and my 200 is lightweight cup. So it's not like comparing similar models. 200 is way stiffer. Defiantly a gripper car over the 197(this is obviously because of the cup chassis) feels more nimble and the mid range torque is a big improvement. Also the gearbox is better for motorway.

Al for the 182 to 197. The 197 is better refined. It's a way nicer place to be. I'm guessing they feel more stable than the 182's. The 182 will be a lot more raw than the 197 and probably feel a bit quicker dues to it being lighter and having less sounds deading ect. I would test drive a few to see if you like them first mate. But defiantly a good upgrade, if you were to get one I would defiantly recommend one with a cup chassis.

Hahaaa yeah mate get the tips done. The first thing i modded (other than de badge haha) was the 200 diffuser. Needed the chunky ass! Yeah mate definitely up for a chat and to see the car. The whole situation with the ticket was so so so annyoing. Im seeing this lass in Bracknell so i left hers about 11pm. Drove home like a granny until i got to the railway bridge near the strip club in reading. Made some noise under the bridge and then bam, speed gun. Couldnt believe it!!

I climb ay reading climbing centre like 4 times a week and they love their RS'! So far ive seen an AB 197, GW 200, loads of 172 amd 182s. 250 meg, 225 f1 meg. All sorts haha.

And if you're ever up for a blast, gimme a shout.

Haha I will. Always the way with speed traps. I know that bridge haha, it's great for making noise in!!! [emoji23] that's a hot spot for speed traps, bet you were fuming!

I know someone with an GW 200 in the reading area, and the a liquid yellow r26 who always want to play haha. I'm not much of a road racer so I try not to bite, I prefer keeping it on the track but will defo have to have a chat some time.

What didn't you like about the 230 out of interest buddy?

I'd like to think I'll end up back in a 197 again one day but I'm only allowed two cars and I can't bear to give up the 172 :worried:

What didn't you like about the 230 out of interest buddy?

I'd like to think I'll end up back in a 197 again one day but I'm only allowed two cars and I can't bear to give up the 172 :worried:

Hi Ben, Hard to explain really mate. It wasn't the fact I don't like Meganes, I just didn't like the MEGANE that I bought. I came across a lot of problems after just a few months of ownership (gearbox issues, electrical issues, ect.) basically I knew I had bought a bad egg.

I purchased it from a dealership so luckily it had warranty and they did all the work. However they took there sweet ass time about it. 3 months in total to sort everything out. Also me living in Berkshire and the deal ship being in Herefordshire meant I was having to making expensive trips back and fourth to try and resolve all issues. By the end of this horrible experience, I was completely put off by the meg and couldn't stand the sight of it, just wanted it gone. I even had to buy another car in the mean time as I had no means of transport.

Don't get me wrong there are things I do miss about the Megane, obviously the boost was great fun. It was modified to 270bhp 269lbt so it was enough to put a smile on your face. I defiantly will be considering a meg conversion in the future as I do miss the power. But I can safely say I don't miss the Megane, there are way better examples out there and I should have looked about before rushing into buying one.

It's taught me a valuable lesson about buying cars though. I found my 200 pretty quickly but I knew it was the right car, I went back for multiple viewings with my dad to make sure it was right and I'm so happy with the decision.

Don't give up your 172 mate. In my experiences you'll regret giving up a car you love. You may in fact prefer a Megane 230 as a second car too as you already have a Clio. Just don't making the same mistake I did a but a lemon haha.

Sorry for the essay [emoji1]

Last edited:
No I appreciate the reply. The mrs has a 225 and I regularly borrow that for work :wink: Personally I absolutely love the 225 to some extent even more than my 265.

The 172 is like a little chuckable go kart and the 265 is a steam train on the straights but just too bulky to throw about a country road confidently. Between these two extremes sits the 225 perfectly. I think a meg engined 197/200 would possibly be the perfect combination of agile chassis and brute power!

No I appreciate the reply. The mrs has a 225 and I regularly borrow that for work :wink: Personally I absolutely love the 225 to some extent even more than my 265.

The 172 is like a little chuckable go kart and the 265 is a steam train on the straights but just too bulky to throw about a country road confidently. Between these two extremes sits the 225 perfectly. I think a meg engined 197/200 would possibly be the perfect combination of agile chassis and brute power!

That's ok mate, I don't dislike the 230, I just didn't like the lemon I bought haha, I think they are great. I haven't driven a 265 yet but I think I may have to pop to Renault at some point to take one for a spin. I can imagine although they aren't as chuckable as the Clio, they are still very fun. I agree, the megged 197 would be the perfect combo. [emoji1]

Has the 225 been played with?? I found my R26 difficult to drive fast around the twistys with all the extra power and torque. Didn't have as much confidence driving it as I did in the Clio? Obviously I guess a standard r26/225 is much more controllable. That might be down to my lack if experience of driving turbocharged cars though. Haha

Was good to bump into you earlier today. The car is looking good. Looking forward to see what comes next

Thanks mate, was good to have a chat. I heard you leaving from inside the shop, the Clio sounded quite loud! Very nice noise. Your car looked great too.

If your ever up for any meets or shows let me know and we can convoy together. [MENTION=4391]Deaks[/MENTION] can come too haha

I bought a square front license plate today. Cost me virtually nothing from work, so thought I would see what it looks like...

Toying with the idea of weather I like this or not, but I think I do! It's kinda different so I'm gonna leave it on for a few days see if I still like it. At the end of the day it's easily removed if I don't.

What everyone's thoughts on this?? I'm bracing myself for some abuse if I'm honest. Haha

Last edited:
it would be nice to have absolutely nothing on the front apart from the tow strap....no number plate..:thumbup:

how do u get away with this???

It's usually in my window. I live on an estate in the middle of no where, so it's very quiet, I am lucky to ever see a police patrol car around my area or on my 5min commute to work, I don't use my car very often. I wouldn't go any where near busy areas or somewhere like essex without a plate on though or your asking for a fine. If I go on a long drive I will always fix it back on.