Lewis's RB Clio 197

Removed the rear beam last night after work, removed old bushes and installed the new bushes this evening. Quite an easy job actually, didn't take long at all.

8d5c5e6885c3ced454b799ab33bbcae4.jpg

2f3e4c465a5d1edaf8da91f089c50dda.jpg

Here's the current situation with the car

fbd20f0885188bf7d2ff6fe97691fc74.jpg

d84893d37876c412b1d5e1decd1e3e6d.jpg

Might also re-align the exhaust while everything is off as it's always sat a bit low and scrapes on things which is quite annoying but it's such a hassle doing exhaust work on your back.

Just waiting for a few bits to turn up in the post so I can clean up the beam etc and hammerite everything to make it all nice and tidy.

Another thing I ordered yesterday was some abs sensor holders as my rear left one is supposedly on its way out so I figured I'd order a pair, removed one side tonight and then packed Everything up

d94820df6638ead976cbd7ea26dc61e5.jpg

Cleaned up the rear springs properly tonight too but forgot to take photos.

Also ordered a new nsr caliper as the one that is on there was installed in 2015 for a non cup one (so, silver) and I can't be bothered to paint it so I figured I may aswell buy new considering its 5 years old and it'd look better being a genuine red Renault item.

Will continue on the car tomorrow.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Clio is all back together. Abs sensor holders turned up on Saturday and it gave me time to clean everything up and paint the rear beam properly, behind the abs sensors etc to prevent corrosion hopefully! Looks so much better

5367ac8bcc999a4d97bdfa870a95b9d9.jpg

Managed to get the rear beam back on and all the other bits in a couple hours. Spent a fair bit of time finding torque specs etc and then torquing all the bolts and paint marking them

7d02cc763f0fc3d0aba1acf474cac653.jpg

Also got my new nsr caliper from rpd on. These really are amazing quality. And finally I have 4 red calipers after 2 years of owning the car haha!

2ba358a230436ccdd94a9139954341fc.jpg

I did take the car out just up the road to a couple roundabouts to make sure it was all good and no weird noises. Feels really tight surprisingly! As if the rear beam is one with the car.

Have ordered some new wheels for the Clio

Hopefully not too long before they tip up and I can update on here what they are.

Really looking forward to them turning up

Yesterday marked two years of ownership for the Clio. Not much has changed looks wise (massively anyway) but the car is basically rebuilt underneath & lots of money has been spent [emoji23]

Today my new wheels turned up too!

5fd274d5ec20836f6271ff9b16f6ea7b.jpg

dcbf17080fce86b76d2db3dc1adec6a1.jpg

5c50c8785adc743e5651a19fc1216d4f.jpg

These will look epic on the car and I can't wait to get them fitted. Interesting how much the Colour changes in the different lighting!

Protrack One 17x7.5, et45. Only weighing 7.7KG! Made in Germany too and mega popular on all the ring cars and in the BMW scene

I was gonna say they are uber popular with the 'ring folk.

They look fantabulous!
Yeah it seemed promising. If they can take a beating round the ring with their curbs etc, they'll stand up to a beating on UK roads. My thoughts atleast.

Going to seal them up before they go on because I hate cleaning wheels and I want to look after these. Thinking about the carbon collective platinum wheels.

Update:

Turns out my passenger top mount is pretty much destroyed. Less than a year old, roughly 4000 miles on it. (OEM one)

Rather than buying OEM new, I've decided to buy some PMS ones. Initial thoughts, is that the quality is 10x better than the compbrakes I had previously. Yet to fit them however.

But I have been busy fitting my AC delete

So:
172 Crank pulley with new crank bolt
New aux belt tensioner
Rentune Cambelt guard for smaller 172 pulley
Shorter aux belt for 172 pulley
Picked up a cup AC delete the other day
Resealed the sump gasket as it was slightly weaping
Fresh oil and filter (old stuff was roughly 1200miles old. But it can't hurt right? [emoji23])

Exact same spec as the cup racers with the AC delete

Everything torqued to spec and paint marked, loctited etc.

39e35d9cb768d466c735976cc7b49f6e.jpg

bd42423dd197e0d1816ff32e60781a8f.jpg

I haven't actually test driven the car yet. I will do tonight though. I was a bit nervous about the cambelt guard. It sits unbelievably close to the cambelt & also the crank pulley. But I can turn the crank by hand and I didn't notice any rubbing sounds. So we'll see what happens on test drive.

Reactions: Beany and suj
Typical thing to happen to me

Crank pulley looks like the rubber in it might've gone and wobbles a fair bit. Looked okay visually though but yeah. Is what it is. Something also smelt rubbery and I immediately thought the worst and shut the car off incase the cambelt was rubbing on the guard.

Ordered another crank bolt & OEM belt and I'm putting the OEM crank pulley back on to reduce any risk of engine failure haha.

Will see if there was any contact when I have to take the pulley off again to remove the cambelt guard and fit the OEM one back on. Bit disappointed and frustrated but suppose that's just the way it is I guess

Still have the AC deleted, just not the lighter pulley and no underdrive pulley! Oh well.

Reactions: Beany
Forgot to update this

I decided to stick with the 172 pulley so I basically grinded down the guard a little and threw a quick bit of gloss black on the guard and put it on straight away and pushed it down as hard as I could and there was no paint transfer to the belt so I assumed it wasn't rubbing.

Ordered a new crank pulley from PMS which literally turned up the next day. Mega impressed by that. So on with yet another new crank bolt (which is a pain in the arse to torque up) and the belt back on. Idled for 5/10 minutes on the drive and didn't notice any rubber smells this time

IMG_20200528_114227.jpg

Took it for a drive and it was okay but that was literally up the road and back as I was still nervous

Took it for an actual 15 minute drive round some different roads today and it seems solid. The car even without the alignment being done after the top mounts feels awesome round roundabouts. And it drives so much better than it did on the old Compbrake setup I had. Much less crashy surprisingly. No idea what I set the camber to but I just mirrored it both sides. Seems like quite a lot actually. Chose the extra caster option the top mounts provide too. Ft hovercraft spec 197 fitment

IMG_20200602_133208.jpg

Looking at different options for my geo to be done. Ktec have given me a very competitive price actually so I think I might go to them. I always like a trip there anyway just to look at all the cars!

I also swapped out the OEM exhaust clamp for a proper V band one and it genuinely fits so much better. I've never really got on with the OEM one anyway I hate the design of them

IMG_20200528_190014.jpg

Reactions: suj and Beany
Reactions: suj
I just did a sanity check as I have a standard blowing manifold, a toyo manifold and a Milltek Sports cat in the attic, I thought the size V-band clamp you buy is for the outer diameter of the flange? As it is 3" on them all?

Edit:

So I did more digging, as usual companies are not consistent, some do indeed measure outer of the flange, so example a 3" inner and 3.5" outer, for one company you would have to buy a 3.5" v-band clamp, but for others you'd have to buy a 3" one....stupid people!

So Lewis the link you sent 2.5" is correct (well I think you could get away with 2.25" as the ID of the pipe is 60mm aka 2.35").

As when we've bought v-bands clamps for friends Skyline etc they always quoted OD of flange.

Sorry clogging up your thread!

Last edited:
Reactions: lewishunter98
I just did a sanity check as I have a standard blowing manifold, a toyo manifold and a Milltek Sports cat in the attic, I thought the size V-band clamp you buy is for the outer diameter of the flange? As it is 3" on them all?

Edit:

So I did more digging, as usual companies are not consistent, some do indeed measure outer of the flange, so example a 3" inner and 3.5" outer, for one company you would have to buy a 3.5" v-band clamp, but for others you'd have to buy a 3" one....stupid people!

So Lewis the link you sent 2.5" is correct (well I think you could get away with 2.25" as the ID of the pipe is 60mm aka 2.35").

As when we've bought v-bands clamps for friends Skyline etc they always quoted OD of flange.

Sorry clogging up your thread!
Yeah to be honest I question it too!

I knew my exhaust was 60mm (the oreca is 60 where most aftermarket are 63.5)

But a friend of mine reassured me it was the 2.5" one I needed. I still might try the 2.25 one day just to see if it's any better but this 2.5" one fits pretty snugly. Clamps it down a lot so fingers crossed!

Reactions: suj