Lewis's RB Clio 197

Update 12/12/2020

Been a while!

I've been busy. Collected a bunch of tools, parts etc.

Started off with a V6 airbox acquired a long while back. Then a good deal came on on an odyssey pc680 which I couldn't refuse on eBay. (Brand new. Just a discount code)

So I bought all the relocation parts & set about doing it.

Honestly dead chuffed with it, considering I did it all myself and I usually don't like messing with electrics But with thanks to a couple members on here on what bits I needed etc I got it all done & most importantly the car runs!

Yet to test it properly as I have a couple things I need to bolt down properly but I lost my T40 socket in the process so I need to get a new one. But here's some pics.
IMG_20201212_132349.jpgIMG_20201212_122913.jpg

IMG_20201206_144256.jpg

IMG_20201207_113356.jpg

The fuse box to the right of the battery is mounted with a little 8mm bolt/self tapper thing to the plastic trim also.

I had planned for this to go under the passenger seat but without a fair bit of work I couldn't get it to fit so opted for behind the passenger seat. Which as you can see meant I had to trim the carpet slightly! & Also there was no point for rear seats anyway so they've come back out. (Again!) I will need a bit carpet now though. (again )

IMG_20201212_132340.jpg

Oh and last but not least, I booked donington for the 22nd Jan with Javelin. Now obviously this is probably going to be wet & I've heard stories about how slippy donington is in the wet & I still have my stock 197 wheels. So I did some researching into tyres & settled on a set of 225/45/17 Goodyear eagle F1 assymetric 5. Reviews look fantastic & all in its cost me £310 fitted for the full set.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20201207_113356.jpg
    IMG_20201207_113356.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 14
Be sound them Goodyear’s :sunglasses:
Donington is pretty slippy but there’s plenty of track width. Just make sure you do your breaking before you turn left in Craners, else you’ll end up in the gravel. Definitely don’t lift :sweatsmile:

Be sound them Goodyear’s :sunglasses:
Donington is pretty slippy but there’s plenty of track width. Just make sure you do your breaking before you turn left in Craners, else you’ll end up in the gravel. Definitely don’t lift :sweatsmile:
Yeah I've heard the wet grip on them is very impressive & seen some reviews online. Got a bargain on them too. Far cheaper than PS4 too.

But yeah, we'll see! I'm looking forward to it, it's a track I've wanted to do for a long time. And I'll probably learn my lesson early on [emoji23]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RSRowe and Beany
Yeah I've heard the wet grip on them is very impressive & seen some reviews online. Got a bargain on them too. Far cheaper than PS4 too.

But yeah, we'll see! I'm looking forward to it, it's a track I've wanted to do for a long time. And I'll probably learn my lesson early on [emoji23]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I run Eagle F1s and on my roadtrip the rain was so bad one of the days, even I was shocked how well they coped, I could push it way more than I thought I'd be able to! You'll be impressed by them

No update as such.

More, discussion time, should anyone want to chip in [emoji23]

I've been tempted to meg swap the car

My thoughts were 250hp ish & Clio box?

Seen an engine package for sale for £1200, mapped for 267hp, has a 225 box, single mass flywheel, R26R clutch etc with it. All compression tested and looks solid too. Plus belts done!

Here's the thing, my belts are due this year which is a £500 job basically. And I still want it mapping but that's going to be £3-400.

So realistically

Buy package, sell 225 box £100-150?, sell my predator manifold which would fetch a pretty penny £350 maybe?, sell my airbox for £200? Engine £4/500? Swap over my crank pulley from the Clio engine first though

Fit myself which would just leave the loom really & somehow getting a link pipe from downpipe to match up with the Oreca

Thoughts? Anything I'm missing?

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

Keep the meg gearbox and fit a diff. Sell your engine and gearbox, and get rs tuning to do you a loom and the ecu immobiliser swap. With regards to the exhaust: megane decat downpipe and link pipe, then reducer (2.75" to 2.5") to clio sports cat and your oreca. Mechanically the actual swapping of the engine is a piece of piss.
Don't for one second think 267bhp will be enough though, you'll soon want more!

Last edited:
When I asked this question, the general response was it’ll cost a hell of a lot more than first anticipated to do the swap properly. And i would forever be chasing heat issues and wanting more power :tearsofjoy:

dibs on the manifold tho

Actually, re. the exhaust, a few people make conversion-specific 3" full systems now for around 900. You may as well forget the oreca sound as the exhaust note will change anyway so you're as well selling. Airtec also make a specific radiator and intercooler for the conversion.

Keep the meg gearbox and fit a diff. Sell your engine and gearbox, and get rs tuning to do you a loom and the ecu immobiliser swap. With regards to the exhaust, megane decat downpipe and link pipe, then reducer to clio sports cat and your oreca. Mechanically the actual swapping of the engine is a piece of piss.
Don't for one second think 267bhp will be enough though, you'll soon want more!
Not sure I'd want the hassle of getting a diff fitted to the megane box when I already have a quaife diff fitted to the Clio box. Plus I think the Clio ratios will keep it a little more 'exciting'? Also I'd potentially like a PMS shifter at some point and I'd really hope it still fits with the meg lump in there! [emoji23]

Reactions: Sean197
Not sure I'd want the hassle of getting a diff fitted to the megane box when I already have a quaife diff fitted to the Clio box. Plus I think the Clio ratios will keep it a little more 'exciting'? Also I'd potentially like a PMS shifter at some point and I'd really hope it still fits with the meg lump in there! [emoji23]

Ah ok, couldn't remember if you already had a diff fitted. In that case you may as well keep it but you'll be changing gear a lot more often. You'll also need to budget for an uprated clutch obviously.

Reactions: lewishunter98
When I asked this question, the general response was it’ll cost a hell of a lot more than first anticipated to do the swap properly. And i would forever be chasing heat issues and wanting more power :tearsofjoy:

dibs on the manifold tho
Yeah. To be fair I have seen people struggle with heat management on the meg engines. Must be because it's so compact?

Not sure I'd want more though! Atleast 260-270 keeps it "reliable" without forging which I really wouldn't want to spend the money on doing [emoji23]

Ah ok, couldn't remember if you already had a diff fitted. In that case you may as well keep it but you'll be changing gear a lot more often. You'll also need to budget for an uprated clutch obviously.
Do you know if the R26R clutch that would come with it would still fit when using a Clio box?

Not sure but I don't think so as the clio boxes are TL4 whereas the megane box is an ND0.
Yeah I wasn't sure it would to be fair. That adds a little spanner to the works then! Would need a new clutch in theory which is an extra cost to consider. Annoying as mines only done 4k or so! [emoji23]