Any reason you wouldn’t go more slick than the R888R’s? (assuming this is track only) Gonna do a full review soon but I have a set of AR1’s and they are brilliant, cut almost 3s off my lap time compared to the PS4’s and after half a day of heavy use they look brand new.

Any reason you wouldn’t go more slick than the R888R’s? (assuming this is track only) Gonna do a full review soon but I have a set of AR1’s and they are brilliant, cut almost 3s off my lap time compared to the PS4’s and after half a day of heavy use they look brand new.

Cost really. I am a novice when it comes to track days. I have done one so far and will do my second in just short of 4 weeks. The combination of a second set of wheels and some nice rubber is going to cost about £800.

I am sure that I will feel the benefits of a good semi slick tyre on track but I suspect that my driving will be well below the limits of the R888Rs.

They seem to be a good price for the quality they offer. When I get the next set of track tyres I might get a more premium set of tyres like AR01s or some MRF ZTEs.

Reactions: LiamP
Fair enough, for the past 2 years I had been using advans which are great in dry and wet (once warm), I believe they are much cheaper than the toyo. Found them to be great to learn on as they give a bit of warning when getting close to the grip level.

Reactions: burrellbloke
225/45/17 R888R £564.50 delivered

225/45/17 AR1 £620 delivered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: suj
225/45/17 R888R £564.50 delivered

225/45/17 AR1 £620 delivered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume he wants to run 215 though Iain, so they're £146.00 each for AR1 from Tegiwa (£584 for a set of 4, free postage).

R888R are about the same price delivered.

Reactions: R20BTG
Cost really. I am a novice when it comes to track days. I have done one so far and will do my second in just short of 4 weeks. The combination of a second set of wheels and some nice rubber is going to cost about £800.

I am sure that I will feel the benefits of a good semi slick tyre on track but I suspect that my driving will be well below the limits of the R888Rs.

They seem to be a good price for the quality they offer. When I get the next set of track tyres I might get a more premium set of tyres like AR01s or some MRF ZTEs.

When I went for a set of semi slicks I went fairly cheap and got a set of Nankang NS2R in 225/45/17 as they were about £90 each. They're a big step up from the Goodyear Eagle F1s I use as a road tyre. I'm gunna wait until my talent takes me to the limit of the tyre then go down the MRF route I think. They get brilliant reviews.

After a tip off from @suj I managed to buy some nearly new Dunlop Driezzza DS03g from a chap on Facebook.

View attachment 145815

The tyres were £420 making it an easy choice to get some nearly new rubber and save a few pounds at the same time.

I was about to reply on here saying don’t bother with the R888R and that there’s many better options on the market now - you made a great choice. Unreal tyres, can’t wait for a dry week to stick them on my Megane and get out for a good blast.

Reactions: burrellbloke
The tyres have finally arrived. The courier attempted to deliver the tyres last week by knocking on my front door very quietly and not ringing the door bell. I then rearranged delivery for a Saturday when they delivered two of the tyres. The other two tyres turned up today.

IMG_1988.jpeg

Hopefully I will get the tyres fitted to the spare set of wheels at the weekend.

Hoping to get mine out the shed this weekend as it looks good!!

Reactions: Beany
The Direzzas have now been been put on to the second set of wheels. I gave the wheels a good scrub today after finding out yesterday that one of the wheels has a slight bend on the inside of the rim. I thought I would double check the wheels to make sure that there were no structural defects.

The wheels were absolutely filthy. I thought that the wheels were just dirty, but the inside of the rims were caked in tar.

F41BBB14-D132-450B-9062-38F8A7249FC3.jpeg

After using some Oblitarate, then some Autosol, then some Ironout, finally some Imperial wheel cleaner they came up a bit cleaner.

46CB3BB3-2A3D-4CC1-ACEA-2BF98B98FFBA.jpeg

I might be a bit of a clean car freak but why do people let their wheels get so filthy? They are not difficult to clean and it doesn’t take long.

9D4C016D-AAC3-4AB7-95E4-F33E1BB520BF.jpeg

Now that I have cleaned the wheels I can see that they seem okay. They have some flakey lacquer and scuff marks on every wheel but should be good enough for track day abuse. I will hopefully get the slightly bent rim repaired this week.

I want to get the cambelt done by the end of the year. Also, I want to replace the passenger side ball joints. Once those maintenance jobs are done these wheels can be refurbed and painted in a colour that is just for track days. I am not too keen on white but might go for something like gold?

Reactions: Big Ben
I managed to get the slightly bent rim sorted out this week. I phoned a wheel refurb place a few miles from home and they said, “Yeah, we can do that drop it in tomorrow.” So, I dropped the wheel in and another guy said, “I don’t know who told you we can sort that out. We only send the wheels to a bloke down the road.” I went to the place down the road and he straightened the rim out.

62323814-1DE9-493C-A740-0874E458687F.jpeg

The car is going to be treated to an oil change this weekend. Opie Oils have been really good with an order I messed up. I ordered some Titan Fuchs Race Pro oil and meant to get it delivered by Saturday, but I actually chose delivery next week some time. They have changed my order so it will get here on Saturday - thanks Opie Oils top customer service. I have worked out that the last oil change was about 4,500 miles ago but as the car is going on a few track days it might as well be well lubricated.

Last edited:
It was oil change day today.

2F4C7B23-E03E-4532-8141-CE46143ECDA2.jpeg

The oil came out quite dark even though it has only done about 4,500 since the last oil change.

24376669-5F11-4AA4-9213-76A1FCAE3C01.jpeg

The brakes were checked over just to make sure they were in good shape for Lydden Hill next week. They were fine. The pads have plenty of life left in them and the discs also look good. By the end of the year I am planning to replace the discs and pads all round with some upgraded parts.

I then noticed this.

EE239C7F-441F-4156-95B3-D8BB2FBBD4D6.jpeg

When I drove to work on Thursday in the Clio I had used the wipers and the spray on the passenger side just dribbled out. I just thought it was the washer jets being awful again. I cannot work out how but the pipe has been damaged. I have moved the bonnet up and down but cannot see how the washer pipe could have come in to contact with the engine to melt it.

1DE040AC-ABAB-4B19-90FC-C7B280C00C02.jpeg

I will source some new piping and replace the damaged part in the week.

Reactions: Benno
I dealt with the washer tube hole tonight. I ordered some tubing from eBay. I took off the faulty tube and cut the new tube to size.

B8E3DC79-3471-414B-9B18-947ED838115B.jpeg

After a quick test the jets were misting like they should.

2AA46C96-DE0E-4247-ACFA-08B87542A208.jpeg

I now think that there may have been a hole in the washer tube for a few months as the jets have been really poor recently. I still have no idea what has burnt through the washer tube.

CD94A623-4D65-4876-8955-3B4819C323FF.jpeg

Today @EthanMenace and I went to Lydden Hill for a track day. It was a sessions based day rather than an open pit lane format. I did a few practice laps on my Xbox last night. Unfortunately Project Cars 3 does not have a Clio 200 in it's car list, and Forza 7 does not have Lydden Hill on it's track list.

IMG_2032.jpeg

It had been raining in Essex for the past few days but the weather forecast for Lydden Hill was cloudy but no rain which was perfect. I had been a bit worried that the really hot weather that we had over last weekend might continue and just cause issues with the car, tyres and general sweatiness in the car. The forecast was right and it was dry all day.

The second set of wheels with the Direzzas were packed in the back of the Clio before we set off early this morning.

IMG_2041.jpeg

The other tools and equipment were shoved in a classy support vehicle.

IMG_2380.jpeg

I drove for 3 out of the 6 sessions and @EthanMenace drove for the other three sessions. My first session on track was brilliant. The tyres were really gripping and holding the car round the corners, the brakes were responsive, and the power was smooth. I blasted round the track and enjoyed a combination of having some free space with no one in front of me, and then coming in to traffic and passing other cars. Some of the other cars on track were a Fiesta ST, a Clio 182, a Nissan 350z - no other 197s or 200s. Oh, and there was a Porsche Panamera.

IMG_2355.jpeg

My second session was cut short by a driver flipping and rolling their car. I managed to get 2 laps in before this happened:

I did not see the car coming off the track before his stationary vehicle appeared in my driving line with my foot to the floor. The guy who came off the track should have been warned about his poor driving in the first session. He managed to spin his car three times. Either his car was not suitable for the track day or he was not a competent driver.

IMG_2043.jpeg

The front drivers side of my front bumper must have kissed the other car as I have a scuff mark that will polish out. But, as I came off the asphalt and on to the grass I now have a few scuff marks on the bottom of the front bumper that will not polish out. The incident has also cracked the drivers side front arch liner. The washer bottle motor was knocked causing the washer fluid to leak out.

IMG_2349.jpeg

@EthanMenace did session five but came off early due to brake fade. Although I waited 30 minutes for the brakes to cool down I also suffered with brake fade and brake juddering in my last session. The brakes are now likely to be the next upgrade before the next track day at Brands Hatch on 25th August 2021.

Despite the short second session and coming off the track early due to the brakes in my third session I really enjoyed the car and the day at Lydden Hill.

IMG_2377.jpeg

Last edited:
What a lucky miss, it's common to by accident lock onto what you are trying to avoid, it's natural to but you have to try and lock where you want to go (easier said than done in the heat of the moment).
Glad it ended up well all things considered.

What pads and fluid are you currently running? Definitely worth upgrading (or having a spare set to swap over before trackdays).

Glad you both had fun and glad the tyres were good for you too