Get yourself a set - it is £300 for everything in the photo. I think that it is fantastic value for money. Plus it will make the engine bay look better.
Great value for what you get, it's definitely on the list amongst many other things lol.

I tried to tackle the engine mount insert again by freezing the insert, using a large amount of white lithium grease, and using a large vice. It still refused to go in.

IMG_1824.jpeg

I decided to leave that project for another day as DHL arrived this morning with an early delivery from MS Custom Engineering. I think that I will contact PowerFlex to whinge about how difficult I have found their insert to get in to my two engine mounts and see if they have a a replacement that they can send out to me? I would like to get the belts done in the next 12 months before they must be done. In a worse case scenario I will get the garage that does the belts to fight with the engine mount to get the PowerFlex insert in.

IMG_1826.jpeg

The anthracite paintwork looks really good.

IMG_1827.jpeg

I am no engineer but the machining work looks good.

IMG_1828.jpeg

The throttle has been painted as well.

IMG_1829.jpeg

Before the rain arrived @EthanMenace and I started working to get the original inlets and throttle body off. It is a fairly simple process to get the upper inlet manifold off - just remove the various bolts that either hold brackets on to it, or screw in to the lower inlet manifold. A bit of wiggling is required to get the upper inlet off as there is a metal dowel that keeps both inlets aligned and centred.

IMG_1833.jpeg

The lower inlet was a bit more of a pain to get off simply because some of the bolts holding it on are underneath the lower inlet. The fuel rail was unscrewed and the whole rail, including the injectors, simply pull out. The lower inlet is caked in black sooty deposits which I am guessing is normal after 11 years?

IMG_1834.jpeg

The engine block looks a bit tired and could do with a lick of paint - but I have no intention of removing the engine.

IMG_1835.jpeg

I am going to give the front surface of the engine head clean with some carburettor cleaner to get rid of the black deposits before the new gaskets and newly machined manifolds go back on.

IMG_1837.jpeg

Also, I will clean up the dirty ends of the injectors before the fuel rail goes back on. The photo is not particularly good but you can see black desposits on the two injectors.

IMG_1838.jpeg

If it stops raining we will see if we can get the new inlets on later today.

Looks like you need to delete the PCV :wink:

Those inlets looks mint, I’ll definitely be sending mine off to Max

The rain changed from showers to minor drizzle so @EthanMenace and I managed to finish off the inlets.

After cleaning off the residue from the old gaskets on the engine block and the lower inlet the lower inlet went on. The injectors were given quick clean to get the dark deposits off.

IMG_1840.jpeg

The upper inlet then went on.

IMG_1842.jpeg

There are two tubes that plug in to the back of the upper inlet manifold. I thought @EthanMenace had plugged in the right hand tube, he thought I had plugged it in. When we started the car it started idling at 2,000 rpm. We went to take it for a quick drive to see if the ECU would adjust the revs but the brake pedal had lost all movement and was solid - effectively the car had no working brakes. After a few minutes of head scratching trying to work out why the car was revving excessively and had lost it's brakes we realised that the right tube was not connected to the upper inlet. Problem solved. The revs immediately dropped to the usual level and the brake pedal movement came back.

IMG_1841.jpeg

I am really pleased with MS custom Engineering's work. Anthracite was definitely the right colour to go for.

Samco make blanking caps for the PCV nipple, I think it’s 25mm. You’d need to fit a catch can. Can you feel a difference with the new manifold?

Reactions: burrellbloke
They’re defo good value for money. I did my own and it took me the best part of a day.

One thing I will say, is I hope you cleaned the manifold sections before fitting. My mate had loads of metal filings in his

Reactions: burrellbloke
They’re defo good value for money. I did my own and it took me the best part of a day.

One thing I will say, is I hope you cleaned the manifold sections before fitting. My mate had loads of metal filings in his

I did check them, all that was in there was a bit of dirt you would expect to find from a garage/industrial unit.

Are you sure you’re putting the bush in the right way?

View attachment 145156

100% Sure. I am not the most mechanically minded person but the PowerFlex insert is just baffling me. I am inserting it so that the thick yellow wedge of the insert with the square hole would allow the square violet tipped edge of the engine mount to poke through the yellow wedge and butt up against the engine.

Reactions: RSRowe
100% Sure. I am not the most mechanically minded person but the PowerFlex insert is just baffling me. I am inserting it so that the thick yellow wedge of the insert with the square hole would allow the square violet tipped edge of the engine mount to poke through the yellow wedge and butt up against the engine.
It’s proper strange. I wonder if you have an aftermarket engine mount.
If you’re anywhere near Stoke on Trent. I don’t mind having a look for you guys

It’s proper strange. I wonder if you have an aftermarket engine mount.
If you’re anywhere near Stoke on Trent. I don’t mind having a look for you guys

"You sir, are a gentleman and a squire"

Sadly I am in Essex so it is a bit of a trip but thank you for the offer.

Reactions: RSRowe
So what are the benefits deleting the PCV valve and installing an oil catch can?

It can breathe better, it doesn't get put back into the engine (hence the "sludge") but personally I wouldn't bother on these engines unless you are going ITBs, Supercharger etc.

Yeah I was also going to offer if you are near me to help out on the mount, but I'm Birmingham way, so not any closer.

I have booked another track day at Lydden Hill on 19th June 2021. It is another sessions day with 6 20 minute sessions.

I am hoping to acquire another set of wheels by June. Does anyone have any sensible semi slick recommendations for 215/45/17 size wheels? I had a quick look at some NS-2Rs or some R888Rs. Hopefully with two sets of wheels I can keep the Michelin PS4s for everyday road sue and wet track use, and use the semi slicks for track days or during the summer months.

Last edited:
NS-2R are more road than track (like Yokohama AD08RS), R888R are great, also Nankang AR-1, Dunlop Direzza DZ03G (these were my favourite).

There's nothing wrong with NS-2R, AD08RS and Federal 595RS-R, but they're more road biased, so they can overheat quicker on track.

Depends how much you wanna spend really. NS2R are more than ample for someone just starting out (it’s what I had on my first track car too)

If you wanna get your wallet out then a set of AR1, though it’s generally worth buying 2 pairs from demon tweeks on eBay as they have a sale quite often.

That being said, my absolute new favourite tyre at the moment is the MRF ZTR. I borrowed my mates last week and I cannot begin to describe how good they are.