You mean "suj suggested the pressure bleeder" :tearsofjoy:

Good work, the Sealey bleeder is brilliant why I suggested it to Adam as he was having a problem with spongey brakes.

Those ABS brackets make such a big difference (if yours were rubbing like mine were).

You mean "suj suggested the pressure bleeder" :tearsofjoy:

Good work, the Sealey bleeder is brilliant why I suggested it to Adam as he was having a problem with spongey brakes.

Those ABS brackets make such a big difference (if yours were rubbing like mine were).

Credit where credit due.

The front brakes have now been sorted. I shouldn’t have posted about Douglas the Dog behaving. Yesterday we had planned to finish off the brakes but I spent all afternoon and evening at the vets as the dog was not well. It turns out that he has probably swallowed something he should not have and he is now waiting to poop it out.

@EthanMenace swapped out the old discs and pads yesterday. The pistons and seals on the front callipers were okay.

F6E6C22A-E7C8-4DCB-AD78-08C828D7B329.jpeg

The pins were not too difficult to get out.

D40C515B-F9DC-41B4-A952-C68CD475F89C.jpeg

Once everything was in place the discs looked rather good.

5E396054-E07E-4589-8E92-9E73D82600AB.jpeg

Tonight we bled the brakes using the Sealey pressure bleeder. We have managed to get through just over 1.5 litres of brake fluid. The fluid coming out of all of all of the callipers is now a very faint yellow colour that looks more see through than anything else.

The brake pedal feels good.

The pads now need to be bedded in so the car is going to go on a few commutes to and from work to do some heavy braking on dual carriageway sections and light braking on town/urban roads.

I have booked the car in with Alex at AW Motorworks to have the belts, water pump, and auxiliary belt done. He is busy man but it is booked in early September 2021. I will have the passenger side ball joints replaced at the same time.

I am hoping that preventative maintenance will keep the car running for many more years to come. I have most of the cars service history and I have a receipt for a cam belt service kit and other service parts in October 2017 although I don't have an invoice for the work being done. Based on MOT records I think that car had done about 53,000 miles by October 2017 so it will be well within the 36,000 or 5 year recommended service interval for the cam belt service.

Once the ball joints have been done I just need to replace the front ARB bushes and then all of the rubber bushes on the car will have been replaced since April 2020.

The car has only done a few hundred miles since the new brake pads and discs were put on. I took the car out yesterday for a short drive and even though the brakes did not get time to really warm up the pedal felt good and the bite felt responsive. With less than 4 weeks until the unofficial clio197.net meet at Snetterton I am feeling confident that the brakes will be far better than the last trip to Lydden Hill.

My plans for this year are working out okay.

Plans for the New Year:

1. Repair the drivers side seat bolster tear with Steve Murr.
2. Get some coilovers - probably some Billy's to get a combination of a better ride for everyday use and a tighter ride for a few track days.
3. Do a track day at Anglesey.
4. Refresh the brakes with new discs and pads.

So far this year the Clio has had the yellow dot Recaro seat bolster repaired, a set of B14's are on the car and the brakes have been refreshed. To complete the list I need to book a track day at Anglesey.

I have about 25 days holiday left to take up to March 2022 due to not having time off and other COVID related issues. I might see if I can book something up at Anglesey around October 2021 when the Wife is off at half term so we can spend a few days away in that part of the world.

I have also been thinking that I might take a few days off and try to do an amateur refurbishment of the rear beam. I say amateur refurbishment as I was thinking of leaving the beam in place, rubbing down the scabby parts, treating it with some Deox gel, Hydrate 80, bit a zinc primer and then painting it with some Hammerite.

Last edited:
Reactions: R20BTG and Sean197
Today I did the ultimate modification for a 200 Cup - it is certainly more impressive than @PITA supercharged Clio.

200 Cups are are so super light they do not come with a bonnet liner, and as a consequence water can seep through the drivers side washer jet and leave a pool of water on top of the engine.

I got out the sealant gun and some transparent silicone sealant.

IMG_2193.jpeg

The washer jet was temporarily removed.

IMG_2194.jpeg

I then put some sealant around the edge of the washer jet.

IMG_2195.jpeg

Then the washer jet was firmly put back in place so that the sealant filled out on the underside of the washer jet.

IMG_2196.jpeg

Then, finally, I wiped away the excess sealant.

I am really hoping that the silicone sealant will stop the water seeping through the bonnet on to the top of the engine.

In other news I had the week off and spent a lot of time browsing the internet when I came across some tyre covers. Hopefully these covers will stop the second set of wheels clattering against each other in the back of the Clio when it is travelling to and from track days.

IMG_2198.jpeg

The covers look good and should keep the inside of the car cleaner as well.

IMG_2200.jpeg

I thought it would be a good idea to give the Clio a wash before Snetterton next week. The car was filthy with a film of dirt and grime on it.

4A735B6F-EC36-460A-9AA3-9CA3B86A7714.jpeg

The dirty water bucket was the dirtiest I have seen it for a long time.

AF5BCD94-ECF8-4C51-974A-FFA73376E645.jpeg

The car was covered in fallout.

56479E05-ABA7-4176-983C-D9835A950233.jpeg

It eventually scrubbed up okay.

2CF55D5A-278B-4A7E-B371-F7183D9A0B09.jpeg

After cleaning the car @EthanMenace and I checked the rear brakes. Over the past week there has been a grinding noise coming from the passenger side rear wheel when the car is cornering left. The discs and brake pads were changed recently. The disc seems to be moving freelyish, the ABS sensor bracket looks like it as far back as it can be, there is nothing obvious causing the noise. We have decided that the drilled discs just need some hard braking to really bed them in properly - they have still only done about 250 miles since they were fitted. If the noise does not stop at Snetterton we will have another look at the brakes.

I spent part of the day today trying to find a good location to put a GoPro camera. The Clio does not have a roll cage so there are no obvious locations inside the car.

On previous track days I cobbled together some velcro straps and a GoPro mount to strap the camera between the two holes near to the headrest in the Recaro seats.

I ordered a flexible arm from Amazon. When I took it out of the box it looked a bit short but after putting it in the car it looks okay.

99A2FF71-EC71-441F-94DC-D7E9CBA27348.jpeg

It is basically a flexible arm with a massive jaws clip that latches on to the side of the Recaro.

The viewpoint is okay.

72AB33CF-995B-4755-97F8-27A4C534520D.jpeg

I have got another GoPro which I will try and mount somewhere to get a view from behind. The image stabilisation in the GoPros is quite good so hopefully the footage will be alright from the dodgy mounting point.

Can you not do it to the plastic cut holes? As that's going to mess up the foam if on for long periods.

Last edited:
That’s pretty much exactly my setup, however I have had to add a cable tie around the clamp and one from top to bottom (hard to explain) which stops any movement.

Reactions: burrellbloke
We went to Snetterton on 19th August 2021 for what was an unofficial clio197.net meet. I met many faces from the forum and got to have a good look around many of the cars that I have seen photos of from this site. We travelled up with the track wheels thinking that a day on track with the Direzzas which were part worn when we got them, and had been used for a day at Lydden Hill, would probably be significantly worn out by the end of the day.

This was track day number three for @EthanMenace and I. Neither of us had done an open pit lane track day before. There were a lot of Clio's about. I counted 6 Glacier White 197s/200s. There may have been more. There was an Alien Green 200. The Track Baguettes were out in force. They seem to travel in convey, very quickly, around the track with very little space between them. There were also a few other 200s that I recognised from Instagram. I was looking forward to seeing the @R27WTF and @PITA supercharged builds. I was also looking forward to seeing @IainMac car.

IMG_2243.jpeg

After the sighting laps we managed to sneak in to a garage that had been left empty as whoever had booked it did not turn up. We got some laps in trying to learn the circuit and the best lines to take round. There were a lot of powerful cars out on track including a lot of BMWs, a 700kgs throttle bodied mk 1 Clio, and a McLaren.

The day went really well. There were three red flags in the morning and one in the afternoon. The weather was overcast for a bit, but in the afternoon the sun was out but not too hot.

The washer bottle took at knock a few weeks ago at Lydden Hill. During the day it started to leak some washer fluid. After some brief investigations the leak was diagnosed as the motor/pump just being loose in the washer bottle - notwithstanding this the washer bottle decided to empty it's contents on to the floor of the garage with a little help from @suj.

IMG_2244.jpeg

I managed to get a ride in @IainMac car. It is a finely tuned beast. The Gripper LSD was awesome. As I had done quite a few laps of the track it was clear how much power the diff gave the car out of the corners compared to my over eager wheel spinning out of some corners like Montreal.

I had played a bit of Project Cars 3 and was always confused about the best line to take out of Bomb Hole heading towards Corum. It is long sweeping right hand corner. Towards the end of the day I managed to get a session with one of the instructors. He was really helpful to point out the best lines, breaking points, and when and when not to accelerate. I think that the biggest lesson I learnt from the tuition is simply to drive more consistently rather than jerking the car around trying to accelerate too quickly, or brake too sharply. I also learnt that sometimes it is good to power the car through a corner to cause it to drift very slightly.

IMG_2247.jpeg

At then end of the day we packed up and the Direzzas looked fine and have certainly got enough meat on them for an evening session at Brands Hatch on 25th August 2021 and possibly another track day before the end of the year. I have got a week booked off from work in October so I might book up Bedford on 25th October 2021.

It was good to meet @LiamP, @suj, @IainMac, @PITA, @R27WTF, @Big Ben, @Helpimonfire, @joehodges154 and a few others I have probably forgotten to mention.