This a bit of a grey area in the UK. Most cars on here that are track cars will have an MOT tester who understands what the cars are used for are a bit more friendly lets say.

On the other hand the police don't seem know the law regarding this themselves in the UK. As I've been with a friend before with a sun strip and been advised that this was illegal as it would fail a tint test....... The car had no tinted windows at the time.
I wil see what my local MOT place tells me in November 2023. If they claim it is a MOT fail then we can simply remove the sun strip and replace it.

If the police stop the vehicle on the way to a track day then the sun strip can be removed immediately by pulling it off of the car.

Sun strips are relatively inexpensive.

I always carry a spare in my toolbox, I had one remove itself earlier this year during the day, which was horrible as it was early in the year and the sun was low in the sky. Exactly the height of the bit I lost!

Reactions: burrellbloke
We did mention it but i think we assumed you’d need a different windscreen? no idea if that’s the case
Yeah you’d need a cup windscreen or one without.

But that wouldn’t be an issue after you’ve ripped all the wiring out for it. Not sure how it’ll look on the inside tho? Have you boys fully stripped the front ?

Yeah you’d need a cup windscreen or one without.

But that wouldn’t be an issue after you’ve ripped all the wiring out for it. Not sure how it’ll look on the inside tho? Have you boys fully stripped the front ?

Not yet, we’ve still got a full interior bar the rear seats and boot trim.
Yeah not sure what it looks like under the cover, something to consider when it does get fully stripped out, whenever that happens!

Reactions: Beany and jimmybell
I have booked an evening session with Track Obsession at Brands Hatch on Thursday 10th August 2023. @EthanMenace is going to take the Clio and I am going to take the GR Yaris. We will probably swap cars during the session. This will be the much anticipated Clio v GR Yaris face off!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarticmonkey
I have always wanted a Cup spoiler. When we had the previous shell it had a GT spoiler meaning that it was not an easy upgrade unless we were prepared to change the boot lid as well. The opportunity to buy a decent boot lid and a spoiler never arose despite loitering around on Facebook groups. We acquired the spoiler a few weeks ago and had it painted.

I picked up the newly painted spoiler yesterday on my way home from work and we installed it today using a combination of the standard Renault instructions and this guide https://www.cliomods.com/styling/fitting-cup-spoiler/

It is always a bit worrying when you have to drill holes in to your car but that is what you have to do to secure a Cup spoiler to the boot lid.

IMG_5297.jpeg

We drilled the two holes for the larger bolt to screw in to the spoiler, then did the two smaller screws that pin the spoiler to the boot lid.

The end plates supplied with the spoiler were not very good quality - but I am guessing this is just a French thing. We had to Dremel out some of the plastic material for one of the end plates to sit on the edge of the spoiler properly.

IMG_5300.jpeg

The screws supplied to secure the end plates to the spoiler are distinctly odd. Silver screws that looks like they will rust as soon as they come in to contact with rain.

IMG_5301.jpeg

The Cup spoiler definitely gives the car a more purposeful look.

I gave the car a wash today to get rid of the rubber debris that has been stuck to it since we went to Thruxton and Donington. I am still very much enjoying looking at the back end of the car.

IMG_5314.jpeg

The Sabelt wheel has turned up from France. I have not yet received an angry tax demand but no doubt one will turn up soon.

IMG_5315.jpeg

I tried to order a Volantech boss last week but they were out of stock. I e-mailed them to ask when the boss would be back in stock and they were very helpful and let me back order one. If their delivery estimate is right the boss and 2 + 4 button panel should arrive within the next two weeks.

Last edited: