I have thrown more money at the problem and ordered some DS1.11 pads to use for track days and some basic Brembo pads to use for everyday use, and getting to and from tracks. I will replace the Brembo HC discs and put on the Godspeed G Hook discs and bed them in with the basic Brembo pads. Then in December the DS1.11s can be used at Brands Hatch - hopefully they will work perfectly and not result in any judder.

Reactions: Sean197
I wonder whether part of your problem is mixing brake pad compounds on the same disc? Is there likely to be some deposits on the disc from your 'road' pad which you're then swapping out for your 'track' pad. Then once everything heats up on track the left over road deposits are causing an issue? I'm no brake scientist so just a guess.

I run DS1.11 for the road (for what limited road mileage they do), they're really fine at those speeds and temperatures. Still feels pretty normal. I wonder if you're over complicating things by swapping pads back and forth?

Reactions: RSRowe
You may be correct.

I've noticed this in the past and it is especially noticeable with high performance/race pads as they will have higher temperature thresholds.

Think of it like picking up rubber on trackday tyres when there hot and how bad that feels until the tyre cleans itself.

I had a delivery from Kam Racing today. Two sets of front brake pads. A normal bog standard set of Brembo pads and a set of Ferodo DS1.11s.

IMG_4374.jpeg

Now I am cruising around in my newly acquired GR Yaris the brakes on the Clio are not such an urgent problem to resolve. Provided that it does not rain all weekend we will put the DS1.11s on the car with the new Godspeed discs and bed in the new brakes with some gentle road miles.

I think that we will add the Brembo pads to the spare parts collection for now and see if the car will run nicely with the DS1.11s being used for both road and track miles.

We have ordered two Corbeau Pro Series X bucket seats with carbon kevlar backs and yellow top stitching.

Thank you @PITA for pointing out the Black Friday sale - you have saved us 25%

Now I need to work out what side mounts to get for the bucket seats.
You’ll love them!

We have ordered two Corbeau Pro Series X bucket seats with carbon kevlar backs and yellow top stitching.

Thank you @PITA for pointing out the Black Friday sale - you have saved us 25%

Now I need to work out what side mounts to get for the bucket seats.

Are you and Ethan similar height/leg lengths? You'll obviously get the lowest setup by having them fixed and without runners. Removes some practicality though.

Apart from waist size we are pretty much similar sizes and use the same seat position with the Recaro. I don’t think it will be a problem to get mounts that are fixed and bolted to the floor. I even had a test run before the last track day of loading up equipment between the cage and the existing seats to make sure there was enough storage room if we did go for mounts that were bolted directly to the floor.

Today the Brembo HC discs and Ferodo DS2500s pads came off of the car. The disc is looking a little rough as the car has been outside in the damp weather for the past week or so without moving.

IMG_4400.jpeg

This is a sight I have seen quite a few times this year.

IMG_4401.jpeg

On went the new Godspeed G Hook discs.

IMG_4402.jpeg

The new DS1.11's have been put in and the DS2500s have been taken out.

IMG_4403.jpeg

The R clips were pushed in properly after the photo.

I am starting to think that the juddering we had with the Brembo HC discs and DS Unos may have been down to me. The calliper bolts were reasonably easy to undo today and previous attempts have required the impact gun to be used on full power for a reasonable period of time. The calliper bolts were not lose but I just wonder if I failed to torque them up properly which may have caused juddering? Or did the juddering just loosen them off?

The calliper bolts were all torqued up to 170nm after the pads were squeezed in.

I will bed in the new discs over the next few weeks with some gentle road driving. Hopefully the combination of one pad material on the new discs should stop any juddering. Thankfully Clio brake parts are not super expensive but I could do without swapping discs and pads every few track days.

Reactions: jwillo and M154MATT
Don't bin those old discs, mine felt horrendous after a couple of days using the DS UNOs but going back to my other pads and getting them hot for a few sessions has fixed them.

Fingers crossed you have more luck with the 1.11's over the UNOs!

I visited @AlexW at AW Motorworks today. The brakes impressed me, despite it being wet today. The DS1.11s had much more bite than the DS2500s and I was caught off guard a few times when the brakes were sharper than I was expecting them to be. I am pleased to report that there was no brake judder today and it made the driving experience so much more pleasurable.

The Clio had been booked in to have the ZPO installed that had been sat around the house for a few weeks. When I arrived Alex asked me why we had not tried to install the shifter ourselves and I told him bluntly that neither @EthanMenace nor I wanted to mess around moving the exhaust about on the drive without a ramp.

I also asked Alex if he could try and work out what the knocking noise was that was going from the drivers side. He fitted the ZPO and then tried to diagnose the cause of the knocking noise. After looking at the car on the ramp, taking it for a test drive, getting another member of staff to take it for a test drive, he said that he did not know what the cause of the knocking noise was but was sure that everything was done tightly, that the ball joints all looked and felt in good condition and mechanically he could find nothing wrong. He suggested that the knocking noise may be coming from the drivers side Gaz Gold shock.

IMG_4410.jpeg

Alex let me loiter in his office whilst he did the work on the Clio. When he had done the work we talked about his Megane 300 Trophy, my written off Megane 280 and the GR Yaris. I am going to pay him a visit with the GR Yaris to get some camber bolts on and the geo sorted for a bit more negative camber.

I enjoyed the drive home in the Clio with the ZPO. The raised position of the ZPO does not feel unnatural and the shifts feel good. I am used to driving the Clio and holding the spherical metal gear knob like this one.

Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 13.54.09.png

I will have to get used to holding the teardrop shaped knob. I am not sure if the gear shifts feel any "shorter" yet. The ZPO shifter looks really good. The liquid yellow paintwork fits in perfectly with the existing yellow touches in the car.

IMG_4411.jpeg

The only issue I have with the ZPO is a slight rattle under high revs, something is very slightly loose.

The buckets seats arrived today. I was expecting them to take about 6 weeks to arrive but they were delivered in less than a week.

IMG_4426.jpeg

They were ordered with yellow stitching to match the interior colour scheme.

IMG_4427.jpeg

I have had a quick sit in one of them and it is a perfect fit for my wide frame.

We just need some side mounts now. I will put an order in later tonight for some PMS side mounts.

Question for those with bucket seats and fixed side mounts - do they just bolt in to the floor using the same bolt holes for the standard Renault seats?

Question for those with bucket seats and fixed side mounts - do they just bolt in to the floor using the same bolt holes for the standard Renault seats?

Yep, have a look at this post where I go into a bit more detail: