WINTER TYRES ... Talk to me

A2ON

Platinum Member
Right then should have thought about this months ago but having just took delivery of the Clio 200 and using it daily need a goood winter tyre.

Tyre size normally is 215/45/17

what are you guys using are you using a 215 or 225 and what make etc

all input welcome thanks

I wouldn't change side unless you are going narrower, 205/50 should be ok. Stick to a known brand IMO, you wouldn't go for a spurious chinese manufacturer for your summer tyres so why do so for winter tyres?

I am running Dunlops on my Focus, haven't had cause to test them yet though.

Do you have to use same speed rating.?

Our focus has 205x50x17 93w... Would any winter tyres of same size be ok.?

Which is great if you live in the Alps, and lets not forget that winter tyres are not the same as snow tyres. personally i dont see the point in having them in this country as our winters are mild in comparrison to the rest of europe. Ran Toyo's last winter and didnt have any probs at all, each to their own tho as its all about personal preference.

Last edited:
Jase - yes winters in that size would be fine, but you might do better to get some 16" steels and go for 205/55R16's, or even 15" wheels.

Loads about winter tyres in the press recently, granted much of it marketing oriented, but there is some benefit when temps fall below 7C.

Where I life we are on a hill, north facing, can be treacherous in winter, so I am giving some M&S rated tyres a try this year.

Been looking but all the wheels close enough to collect hi for silly money.
Some 16" alloys at Essex went for £31 on fleasbay today :worried:

As RalphyBMW says their are some interesting articles and it is all about where you live...

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/winter-tyres-in-the-uk.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/blog/2011/oct/27/worth-switching-winter-tyres

Interesting to note that the Guardian also says that you need to tell your insurance comapny as they count as a modification?????

I wont be getting any as if the weather is too bad i quite simply wont take the car out.

Greenlight insurance already cleared it up saying that as long as you put the same size, speed rating tyre etc. on then it doesnt count as a mod.

Also, I wouldnt recommend using R888s in the snow. I drove to our RR day last year with them on and it was shocking lol. :rofl:

I wont be getting any as if the weather is too bad i quite simply wont take the car out.

Have to agree Angel don't see the need

Greenlight insurance already cleared it up saying that as long as you put the same size, speed rating tyre etc. on then it doesnt count as a mod.

Also, I wouldnt recommend using R888s in the snow. I drove to our RR day last year with them on and it was shocking lol. :rofl:

Is that for 2??

if england gets a decent amount of snow this year they will be defo a worth while investment i bought some pirelli p sotto zeros series ii last year superb in the snow much better than standard tyres and the wet i also than them all though this summer and still have them on now they wear very well to how ever i wouldnt got for the best pair probably a mid range as your not goin to be going all out in the snow

Winter tyres aren't just for snow though, they act as a great tyre for anyting underneath 7 degrees from memory, better to stop in wet conditions and if you watch the video of them on snow against summer tyres, I know which set I'd rather have.

Yes there is expense to them, but when you consider you may get 3 winters out of them plus longer times from your other set then yes, they are worth it!

Got some snow socks off ebay last week, snowed like mad yesterday morning wanted to test the socks out to see if they were any good but my car was in the garage getting the belts done so couldnt. But mothers bmw had been left behind as roads were so bad, she had also bought snow socks so i put them on her 3 series to try them out!
Brilliant!!!!!!! Took the car through up to five inches of snow with no fuss! It normally cant move in two inches of snow!!
Bit of work getting them on and off, but on a front wheel drive car they would be easier to fit as you can turn the wheel making it easy to pull them on.

A mate of mine uses Socks on his Focus ST. Last year he couldn't get out of his cul-de-sac on the Tues, walked up and got a set of those and blasted straight through all the snow. He said they made a massive difference. I can't say I had much trouble, just allowed a little more time for journeys and kept the revs low...

Similar Thread Suggestions