Winter tyres/autumn warning

Chris

Bad cop
Anyone thinking of putting winter tyres on yet?

Think ill put mine on start of december depending if/when the weather turns.

On a side now just a warning about all the leaves on the roads right now, very slippery, had a brown trouser moment at 5:15am this morning round a corner!

'Winter tyres'.

I'm 44 and never even considered this. Or summer tyres therefore.

Am i missing out..........

Never bothered personally, mind you when the weather is crap I always use my company car!
I know a lot of the lads on the bmw forum use them because of the rear wheel drive..

I've heard of it from a relative in Northern Germany who have to by law.

But I'd never consider a set over here.

how bad does the weather have to be for you to put them on Chris?

Reactions: nutnutwelshman
thats true..in Europe it compulsory to have winter tyres on..I've never put winter tyres on here in England though..it usually just rains here in Manchester..we see snow on the news but not in the flesh :poke:

I use them up here in the Scottish Highlands mainly as I had a set knocking around in the garage as the Clio tyres are the same size as the ones from my old Alfa 156. Tbh I've even found them good for 'spirited' drives on B roads. They're supposed to give better performance once the temp drops to 7 degrees Celsius. Jury is out on whether my 2nd set of wheels will have winter tyres or track day tyres fitted once the winter tyres wear out.

Well the reason I bought them, working shifts I'm out before the gritters, and was out with my fiesta on a very snowy morning and lets just say, I had to change pants when I got to work, seriously dodgy.

Soon after changed to my 197 and know that it wont going to be any better in the snow so I bought a set of Nokian WR A3.

Ive put them on every year since and its not bloody snowed! But they are better in the wet to be fair, much better.

winter tires are designed to work in temperatures below 7 degrees or such..they make sense to put on if the weather conditions fall below this..i cant imagine driving on all season or summer tires in the Czech..wouldnt survive long!!!

Reactions: Johnny 99
I think they are a good idea, however I've never bothered in the past. Thankfully there's been no terrible winters (i.e. lots of snow) since I've had the 197. It has coped well in the winter months, even when there has been a bit of snow - it was a lot better than my old Fiesta ZS (touch wood).

I use primarily main roads, which tend to get gritted well because of the bus routes, so that helps. I can imagine that winter tyres are a must if you live in more rural locations like Chris.

I have never bothered with winter tyres and il be honest thats just down to cost of having 2x set of tyres

Wil they wear faster than normal tyres??

same wear rate Adam but have to be used in the conditions that they are designed to be in.if you use winter tyres in the summer they will be on their way our much sooner than in winter and vise versa..

Ah ok, is it the road temp that needs to be below 7 or the air temp, or is that getting complicated haha

Similar Thread Suggestions