Winter tyres, yay or nay?

Sherlock101

Paid Member
Evening all, my new Clio 200 (which I’ll be picking up in 5 days time!! :smiley: ) has got Yokohama AD08(R?)’s fitted to it, I’ve read up and these seem to be a very good tyre for summer and track use which is great! However being new to the fast car thing I think it would be a good idea for me to have some winter/all season tyres which are better suited to the conditions (and my lack of skill :wink: ), I’ve been looking at Michelin cross climate +, will these be overkill for b-roads around oxford and motorway commuting? Any others that people recommend? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personal preference tbh mate, I’ve personally just battled on with summer tyres all year through, just wind it back when the weather is shit, i imagine winter tyres aren’t going to be night and day difference when driving sensibly In the general mundane commute

@Chris pretty much talked me out of buying a specific set of winter tyres! I'm swapping back onto my cheaper PS3s for the winter and will see how I get on. I'm out early and back late from work so won't take long to see if I need to get something more suited, think I should be fine though!

With B roads, in the ice and inclement weather it's all about driving to the road's limits anyway. Believe me as a large vehicle driver, it doesn't matter whether you've got semi slicks or the best winter tyres in the world, if you drive like an idiot on those sort of roads, especially untreated ones, it'll bite you on the backside!

I can remember several lucky car drivers that have driven down B roads towards me and not seen me, only to either just squeeze past the side of me or just stop before causing a head on collision..:tearsofjoy:

If you can afford it, get hold of a second set of rims for the Yokos and save them for next year, you won't regret it!

Reactions: Jimmy
Cheers @Glenn_Adam_Doble and @Benno, as both of you have said it’s preference and depends on the roads and conditions, I think I will see how I get on with the Yokos and get some winters if I feel like I need them!

Reactions: Benno
Still on mine at the moment, I know the roads like the back of my hand to work and I haven't yet felt the Yokos were going to give out on me! I really hope you get a dry day when you pick it up, get some warmth in the tyres and go chuck it round some bends, you'll quite quickly realise why we're all big fans of them!!

My recommendation is get some Pirelli Sottozeros. I was lucky to get a second set of Interlagos rims with them but was a little sceptical about the tyres actually being any good for the task. After I've mounted them now and did some driving I've to say these are actually quite good. Of course the compound is a little harder but they still stick like glue.

I only started using winter tyres (Vredestein Wintrac Extreme) after moving from Surrey to the north of Scotland. They are supposed to be better once the temperature drops below +7 degrees Celsius but to be honest I wouldn't bother in Oxfordshire. In Highland winters they are definitely worthwhile.
The Cross Climates are a slightly different breed in that they are the 1st summer tyre to achieve accreditation as a winter tyre in European countries that require the use of winter tyres in certain months. They're more of a touring tyre than a sports tyre though.
Ad08s won't be the best tyre in winter, but from what I have read and heard from users you should be fine if you drive sensibly.
I think you would only feel the benefit of winters on actual snow, when grip/traction will be much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sherlock101
Yay..

20170211_092524.jpg\medium

Reactions: Jimmy
The ad08s are a well reputated tyre for summer use but not so good in the wet (particularly standing water) but haven’t personally tried them, so this is all on others opinions on them.

You’re going to have to make a judgement call on what/when you use the car for. I have winters on as I had 2 tyres that needed replacing so didn’t see the point over winter sticking on a high performance tyre, and beings as I had a set of winters I just opted to put them on. I wouldn’t have bothered otherwise.

All mainstream tyres perform best in dry conditions. Trying to drive same speed in wet/winter conditions is impossible and dangerous.
Even with winter tyres you’ll have to slow down so I personally don’t use them

All mainstream tyres perform best in dry conditions. Trying to drive same speed in wet/winter conditions is impossible and dangerous.

0db7750e9420d9f3828a500e3ffd427b.jpg

Reactions: ///M

Yep this.

I’d driver faster/more comfortable on ps4s in wet than my winters.

Just I’ll be alright if it snows is all lol.

@Chris have you got 2 sets of rims or just get the tyres refitted? I’m looking for a set of 17” wheels for track but can’t seem to find any in the right size.

There is lot different tyre brands to choose for example in Germany market. We say middle europe winter tyres "semi winter tyres" because they are more like summer tyres than winter tyres in my opinion. If you want good winter friction tyres which are also road legal in UK i recommend for example continental viking contact 6, those are real winter tyres for real winter. I dont know if you have snow there in UK, but those are great to drive in wet road if there is no snow.

This tyre is test winner in Finland many years.

continental-vikingcontact-6-kitkarenkaat-1.jpg

@Chris have you got 2 sets of rims or just get the tyres refitted? I’m looking for a set of 17” wheels for track but can’t seem to find any in the right size.

Just getting tyres refitted mate. I’ll hopefully be getting a second set of rims to put my summers on though.

You after new or used?

Just getting tyres refitted mate. I’ll hopefully be getting a second set of rims to put my summers on though.

You after new or used?

Used, though found some cheap standard 18" wheels for sale. Kind of defeats the object as the 18" options are limited and pricey. May as well just enjoy the MPSS and replace them as and when.

Used, though found some cheap standard 18" wheels for sale. Kind of defeats the object as the 18" options are limited and pricey. May as well just enjoy the MPSS and replace them as and when.
That would be my choice as well Micah. MPSS will be fine in wet conditions as long as you’re sensible.
2 sets is great but the extra cost might as well go to a new set of Same rubber once they’ve worn out!

Reactions: Micah
In Germany you can get in trouble if you're involved in an accident and have summer tyres mounted when it's cold outside. If you're unlucky the insurance will deny any regulation in this case.

In Germany you can get in trouble if you're involved in an accident and have summer tyres mounted when it's cold outside. If you're unlucky the insurance will deny any regulation in this case.
We have that in law : from 1.12 to 1.3 you have to use winter tyres. If you drive with summer tyres, you will get penalty.

Similar Thread Suggestions