Tyres for Winter

Discussion in 'Clio 197 Area' started by Mr Scruff, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Mr Scruff

Mr Scruff Paid Member

Car:
    TBC
    Not Winter Tyres, not opening that can of worms! :wink:

My standard 197 is currently on Nankang NS2-R tyres. Great fun in the warmer months, less confidence inspiring in the colder, wetter months.

What do people recommend for the wetter weather? Had the RainSports in the back of my mind to try?

Debating whether to get a second set of alloys and just swap them around, but then cost and the pain of storage come into play...

2. Antti O

Antti O Gold Member

Car:
    Clio 197 Ultra red 2007
    I have michelin pilot sport 4 for summer and never had any problems no matter how much water.

Johnny 99 likes this.
  3. Sparky197

Sparky197 Paid Member

Car:
    2009 197 cup, 2013 V8 M3, 2004 172, 1964 moggy turbo pickup
    I’ve got kumhos all round and they seem alright tbh - came on car

On my v8 m3 i have mp4s’s and they are bloody amazing so far. Took off Pirelli’s as the car wasn’t settled at wet fast bends

4. Johnny 99

Johnny 99 Winner - POTM October 2018 Platinum Member

Car:
    Clio Renaultsport 200
    I'm with @Antti O. Michelin PS4 are excellent both in the dry & in the wet. As one tyre for all year round use they're great. Don't know about snow, but if you don't want to go down the winter tyre route I'd be using PS4.

5. Big Ben

Big Ben Winner - POTM February 2018 Paid Member

Car:
    Could easily be tempted to part with my rainsports (done 300 miles).
    Whereabouts you based?

6. Sparky197

Sparky197 Paid Member

Car:
    2009 197 cup, 2013 V8 M3, 2004 172, 1964 moggy turbo pickup
    Had rainsport 3’s on my 172 road wheels and they were fine. All depends how you intend on driving tbh.

Yes an all season tyre will offer much better grip than a summer tyre but summers are fine as long as you drive appropriately for the conditions

7. Cliosport-carl

Cliosport-carl Winner - POTM May 2017 Gold Member

Car:
    clio 197
    I now use AD08Rs in the summer and Uniroyal Rainsport 3s as my winter/wet tyres. they went on 1st weekend in November and will stay on until my first track day in March/April means I dont have to worry about getting new tyres going into winter after a season on the track.

8. Mr Scruff

Mr Scruff Paid Member

Car:
    TBC
    @Big Ben - I'm based in High Wycombe.

Have another car for when the weather gets really cold, but like the Clio as it doesn't take itself too seriously (unlike my S4!)

Will look at PS4 but initial thoughts are that they might be a little more than I want to spend. Guess I could swap them for the Kankangs permanently mind.... Hmm.