WINTER TYRES ... Talk to me

Some interesting reads on this thread. In snowy icy cold conditions winter tyres make a massive difference compared to summer tyres (ie a conti sport). If you think that this is probably the most important part on a car that is going to stop you killing yourself apart from the brakes they are pretty important and usually overlooked which amazes me.

Yes, you can struggle through snow ice etc with summer or all round tyres which I am going to do this year as we simply don't have enough bad weather and I don't use the car enough anyway to care, but if you live somewhere where you will be carrying out frequent winter driving I would advise a second set of cheap alloys/wheels and a set of winter tyres. (obv dependant on budget). Second set of alloys was important for me as I didn't want to run the risk of tw@tting the kerb on the ice/snow + to avoid any salt on my nicer 17's.

On my old 1 series I used to run a set of 16" alloys just for winter with Goodyear Ultra Grips (think they may have been an OE fitment for a winter tyre on BMW's in some countries) and the difference (allbeit rear wheel drive) was just undescribable. I was at one point stopping pushing 4x4's (with summer tyres!??) and then just driving off in a rear wheel drive BMW - it was great!

The goodyear Ultra grips were quite pricey (being runflats aswell) but I suspect the normal none run flats will be cheaper, and I also got mine from ebay as nearly new part worns for a lot less (this is a good way of doing things as you only ever really need them for a month or two at worst).

Hope this helps people.

those arent the right size but they are the brand that I bought! they have the correct size for the clio, do a search for the tyre size.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/winter-tyres-tested-in-the-wet-video-review/

With loads more sipes cut into the tread, the ability to cut through water as well as grip on snow is greatly increased. The drawdack is reduced braking grip as the tread deforms more.

I'm running BF Goodrich winter G tyres on 15's and the cornering grip and feel is very good in the wet compared to the same all season tyre on 17's. With the winters, the ABS if fairly easy to kick in whilst the all season rubber rarely sees the ABS actuate

I knew I had to use my 200 Cup mostly as a winter runabout, when my rwd cars are tucked away, but wasn't looking forward to the lack of handling precision on typical soft winter tyres, and also wanted a set I could leave on all year.

I'm familiar with Winters, with a set of highly-rated Sava Eskimo's on daughters Focus 1.8 which are unstoppable up steepest icy hills last winter - eg. a frozen stream across a 1 in 8 hill road. But inevitable downside is soft steering and handling, even running raised pressures.

So after reading latest snow tyre reviews, as a compromise fitted Vredestein Quatrac 3 All-Seasons. Have been almost as precise in dry/wet as the original performance summer tyres, with their reasonably stiff sidewalls, and I'd say 75% of the snow grip of the Sava's. In a mag test (in Evo?) they still stop 5 times quicker on snow than summer tyres.

They were amusingly good in yesterday's snow, several 4wd's beeped me when I overtook them safely but quickly !

i have Pirelli snowsport 240's in 215/45/r17

have to say very impressed great winter tyre for the Clio, it gets driven in the Alps all the time during winter and not had a single problem with them so far :smile:

I believe in UK they will sell as we say middle europe winter tyres.. in real snow/ice conditions those are pretty much useless. I had those in one of my import bmw and in snow those were pretty much same as summer tyres. No traction at all...I dont want ever have to drive in ice conditions with those tyres.. it is really dangerous.

If you want good studless winter tyres, buy for example Nokia Hakkapelitta R

5076730972_8dc5eae704.jpg

In Finland we use studded winter tyres like hakkapelitta 7:

nokian_hakkapeliitta7__-500x500.jpg

And stud tyre is basically the only way in Finnish winter..
My clio has 215/45/17 Nokia Hakkapelitta 4 Stud winter tyres.. we have now over 70cm of snow and last week was -25 -30 all the time... :S

Last edited:
i have Pirelli snowsport 240's in 215/45/r17

have to say very impressed great winter tyre for the Clio, it gets driven in the Alps all the time during winter and not had a single problem with them so far :smile:

Me too. :thumbup: DOT3106, bought them used for 66€ all four. :smiley: They were in great condition.

No problem with the snow...:smiley:

[YOUTUBE]Cc2vvKRpo0o[/YOUTUBE]

Similar Thread Suggestions