When you fall out of love with the clio....

when I get bored of it.. I drive a 3.0TD auto pickup truck.... soon puts me back in love with the clio!!!

I have a 1,4 clio I drive during the week, so only get to drive the 197 at weekends, yet still can't get back in with the 197. :worried:

I just hope I can do the ST swap. I love the ST a little too much :wink: Nathan's ST is awesomely fast - same as the 197, but it is a little rough lol. Standard ST (Matt's) is smooth drive, no not as fast, but still love it.

I am sure I will be back loving it even more soon (197) :smile::smile:

Mike, aside from a leisurely ride around the 'ring, have you tracked your Clio at all? Best way to remind yourself of just how good it is. If it is solely a road/weekend car then there are arguably better cars out there. Are there any particular aspects of the car that are annoying you?

lol fiesta ST is utter chav wagon lol I never see any1 normal in an ST.

I fell out of love with the 197 a long time ago. it cost me way too much money for the car it was. i spent rediculous money and still didnt love it. my mate bought an evo spent £400 and had it running 414 bhp it also handled better lol

if i could aford to insure and run a evo id have one

Mike, aside from a leisurely ride around the 'ring, have you tracked your Clio at all? Best way to remind yourself of just how good it is. If it is solely a road/weekend car then there are arguably better cars out there. Are there any particular aspects of the car that are annoying you?

I think its cost, and my subconscious 2½ year car life, I always seemed to get bored of the cars I've owned after 2 years.

Never tracked the car at all, but there's an RS track day I'm attending in September.

Well, its up to Matt & insurance now, this will put things right for me now. I know when I have the ST, when I see a 197 around, I'll start pining, even if I am cleaning the exhaust of the ST out with spunk :wink:

I have a 1,4 clio I drive during the week, so only get to drive the 197 at weekends, yet still can't get back in with the 197. :worried:

I just hope I can do the ST swap. I love the ST a little too much :wink: Nathan's ST is awesomely fast - same as the 197, but it is a little rough lol. Standard ST (Matt's) is smooth drive, no not as fast, but still love it.

I am sure I will be back loving it even more soon (197) :smile::smile:

Ah I drive my clio everyday :worried: I found what made me love it the most was religiously sticking to not going over 3000rpm for over a month. (it was because I couldnt afford the petrol!!) and then I floored it and it made me
smile like the day I drove it off the forecourt! :wink:

ST is a great looking car and I would have one if I didn't think they seem underpowered and being in Essex it's full of chav'd up fiestas :worried:

I'm a bit out of love with mine at the moment due to the fact it seems to have a bit of a drink problem and is costing me money at the the petrol pumps which I can ill afford.

I checked my mpg this morning and it made for depressing reading - 22.5 mpg! However, if I leave it stood at home for more an a few days in a row I end up with a flat battery instead! From June last year to May this year me and my husband travelled to work together to save on parking costs, we tried to alternate between my 197 and his R26 which led to neither car being used all the time and mine (as it tends to live outside) having battery issues.

A week today it's off to the garage for the 4 year service (more expense!) and then we're away to France early sept for a week and a bit so have decided to take my car instead of his. I'm hoping this will restore the love a little as otherwise my sensible side may yet prevail and it'll get chopped in for something smaller and more economical....mind you finding a buyer for the clio will be another matter!

Well, Stripes arrives in my care on 22nd September after the trackday - for a month, maybe longer.

Really looking forward to it, even if some think it is a chav wagon :s - it could be far far worse though lol!

Have been loitering on Fiesta STOC, and I have to say, there are very few negative views about the RS's on there, they all have great things to say about the RS's in general!

Nothing against them other than the stripes tbh, would be interested to try one to see how it compares. Only ever seen them driven quite slowly for some reason :s

Hi, I've been reading this thread as I know where the OP is coming from. I've been driving for the past 24 years and I love cars as for me their more than just transport and when I was younger I too would change cars every 2 years.

A few things I discovered over these years is fun cars = high running costs and so what happens is either you sell and buy and sensible car and get bored in months to only go back to performance model usually at a loss or you switch to another performance car and find the grass wasn't actually any greener

I've only just become an owner of the RS197 and it is an awesome little car, I came from a highly modified WRX STi but downsides to the Scooby was very high running costs, most days only getting 12mpg & servicing every 6 months (& you think Ruk is expensive).

But for me the biggest reason for selling is that insurance brokers are not only putting premiums up but a lot of them have even pulled out of insuring them and now and the eastern europe car crims. seem to be stealing them and it's the way they're now going about it to get the cars made me think i'm not prepared to put myself or family members at risk and felt it was time to go back to hot hatches, which don't seem to be on their hitlist.

Over the past few months I was looking around at what to get and after a lot of looking & test driving other cars (cooper S, Fiesta ST, 207 GTI & DS3 sport) it was the RS197 that had ticked all the boxes and even though it's half the power of the scooby when i take it out and get on some clear twisties, you'll always see me with a big grin on my face, I don't think any other cars in this class can match it's chassis and brakes, I felt so connected with the car which I didn't with the others.

As previously been posted only use the car at weekends and if daily running costs are an issue then get a nice cheap 1.2 to run around in & can guarantee when the weekend comes you'll be back in love with RS

Sorry for the long post but thought my recent experiences maybe worth a post :smile:

Don't need to apologise fpr the long post - it was a good read and I know exactly where you are coming from!

DS3-R isn't my cup of tea but its a insight into what the modern day small quick hatch will become. Modern drivers want good all rounders -striaght line speed, good on twisties with electronic drivers aids and return 28-30mpg. New clio will be equally good.

I don't expect my 4 year old Clio to offer me the same as a 200. The new Clio will equally be better than that. Furthermore, to buy a modern day Ds3-R is 21 grand. I can think of better things to do with my money. Thats Meg 250 and Focus Rs money. Spending more per month on a car than my mortgage makes no financial sense.

Clio 197/200 - Enjoy want is a fantasic little car for what it is. If you want more than it offers....your driving the wrong car

Last edited:
DS3-R isn't my cup of tea but its a insight into what the modern day small quick hatch will become. Modern drivers want good all rounders -striaght line speed, good on twisties with electronic drivers aids and return 28-30mpg. New clio will be equally good.

I don't expect my 4 year old Clio to offer me the same as a 200. The new Clio will equally be better than that. Furthermore, to buy a modern day Ds3-R is 21 grand. I can think of better things to do with my money. Thats Meg 250 and Focus Rs money. Spending more per month on a car than my mortgage makes no financial sense.

Enjoy want is a fantasic little car for what it is. If you want more than it offers....your driving the wrong car

Agree that the 1.6 high pressure turbo engine (BMW) Citroen/Peugeot are using is amazing and considering you can easily/cheaply get it up to 190 BHP and still has such a low emission rating, can see a few more manufacturers going down that path

Isn't the next Clio RS a 1.6 Turbo? - EVO -

Should be a good, strong & focused engine to match the chassis(as we have been longing for) ... with further tuning potential? !!!:thumbup: