**UPDATE 16/08/13** Hankooks falling apart!!?!?

Check the rears for a date mark, you may have been sold a dodgy batch...

I heard of a Goodyear batch that had never been near a Goodyear factory not so long ago.

Rob, just sent you a photo of the date stamp on Olive. :smile:

I'll check the other side in the morning before I leave, then I'll fetch the jack and stands home and check the insides if not.

I never actually thought to check the back tyres for a date if I'm honest as the idea of them being a knock of never crossed my mind, just checked out the picture Willis sent me and I definitely don't seem to have he same year marking he has.

Like I said I'll check them in the morning, and I'll start phoning round some places to get the alignment checked (I want this doing anyway). I'll keep you all posted, I'm still a little at odds with it, unless I'm missing something it does look like manufacturing fault, as I can't see how a couple of hundred miles has torn the rubber, and there no scrub marks anywhere on the arches.

Where did you buy the tyres from?

My brother has put evo v12 on both corners of his evo around 2/3 weeks ago and I have just checked and they are fine, same case with my car but I only have them on the rear.

Also all of our tyres have the date of manufacture stamped onto them, seems very odd yours dont!

Might not be knock offs, might just be some that arent meant to be sold over here and have 'found' their way over by someone trying to make a quick buck

E.g a country with a less aggressive climate that doesnt get as cold

I bought them from AP tyres in Rotherham, they're a fairly big centre not a little back street garage (though they're in a rough part of rotherham).

Out of interest Matt did they have date stamps on both sides? (If you can remember)?

with damage/wear like that being consistant its points to a tracking issue...

Yeap, I agree with that. 200 miles can not damage the tyres in that way, even if they are knock offs. Check the tracking, it seems for a considerable toe in to me.

Last edited:
Extreme Toe-in is the most likely cause as it's on both wheels.

Really unbalanced wheels also cause issues like this but I'm pretty certain you would have noticed massive vibration.

Right, I've spotted the date stamp on the passenger side (both front and back). The front ones are 1612 so not that old. I'm going to get the allignment checked ASAP. Just looking for someone in Sheffield to do the job.

it was those grippy forest roads that did it :lol:

:smiley: your not kidding! In fairness I spotted a bit of peeling when we first stopped (in the car park), by that point they hadn't really been worked all that hard.

I'm in two minds as to what to do, would be interested in other peoples decisions:-

Go back to the place I bought them from and get the car check and aligned there.
Pros - I should give them a chance to rectify the problem, if there is a fault on the tyres its a one-stop shop to getting it fixed, I may not have to pay to get it checked
Cons - I have to wait till Thursday (when they open late) as I want to go myself and don't want the Mrs to have to confront anyone, It's in their best interest for it to be an alignment issue so they can blame that and leave me out of pocket on the sh*gged tyres.

2. Get the Mrs to pop the car to the place round the corner and get the alignment checked (with print out) from there.
Pros Most likely to get an honest answer as they don't give a sh*t about the tyres
Cons It will cost me £42, and if its not the alignment I still have to take it back to the place I bought them from, the original place may claim this place have sh*gged up the alignment.

So what's everyones opinion? The car isn't going anywhere right now as it rarely gets used day-to-day anyway and I have to wait till thursday to take the car to the original garage anyway...

When was the geo checked last? Tbh if it's been a while I'd get it checked anyway just because that's the first excuse somewhere would use and it's worth getting it check anyway. But that's just me, I waited nearly 3 years to get mine checked :smiley:

Its been a while if I'm honest Tom. Probably 1.5-2 years (had it done not long after I bought the car, wasn't happy so Renault sent it off to a place they use in Sheffield as they didn't have the gear to do a proper geo check when it had its next service), so it was kind of on my to-do list anyway as the last tyres wore (very slightly) more on the outer edges so figured it was worth doing anyway, just not critical.

I'm always a pessimist though and know that when it goes in I'll want them to prove its pretty epically mis-aligned to cause that much damage so quickly.

you dont really want any or much toe-in on the clio...

the torque reaction of the front wheels causes a certain amount of "toe-in" as it is

mines set parallel before and after i changed the n/s inner track arm - with the new re50a on it tracks straight :thumbup1:

Anyone know where I can get the correct alignment settings for the 197? Just so I know what the garage might should be checking it against.

On a plus note, I rang AP Tyres (where I bought them), and the guy on the phone was really sound, said they've had dodgy tyres in the past, he said drop it in and they'll check over it, if they think the tyres are wrecked they'll get them sent back to the manufacturer as faulty and fight my corner.

I just hope whoever I deal with on Thursday is as helpful.