**UPDATE 16/08/13** Hankooks falling apart!!?!?

I've had my (two front) Hankooks fitted now for a couple of weeks and they've done maybe a couple of hundred miles, but they seem to be just falling apart on the edges of both fronts. The old tyres were SLIGHTLY worn more on the outside so I know the tracking wasn't perfect but having looked at them when they came off the car I've seen much, much worse.

I'm looking for some advice on it really, my current plan is to go and get the car aligned with a print out, if its not out (badly) then I'll confront the tyre suppliers about them.

Anyone seen anything like this? At the rate they've fallen apart, they'll be for for the bin in a couple of weeks (lasting 1month and <1k miles).

u7y6ape4.jpgsynu3a4a.jpgpuzaqa5y.jpg4ateqabu.jpgge9ybu5u.jpg

Last edited:
Are they both like that!?!

It looks at first glance that you could have ran something over, but it's really strange that. Even stranger if it's both tyres...

Yep both tyres, first picture is drivers side, second pic is passenger. When I first saw it it looked like I'd run over something, a bit like on a track day where you run the kirb. But these tyres haven't seen a track, its the same on both sides and its the whole way round the tyre not just a patch on both wheels.

Edit: it's also only on the two new front tyres, the rear Hankooks are both fine.

How do you mean Lump, can't remember without looking what should be on and what shouldn't? I'm fairly sure I checked the front tyres load rating against the back (after they were fitted) and they were the same. I will check that when I look at the manufacture year though :smile:

Someone else has that same problem. I hear it at my garage on C-class that front Hankooks tyres falling apart and one has a blow out. I thought he hit the pot holes but it didn't looks like it.

Must be sh*t tyres make but they looks good.

The last set I had were fine Giles, just these ones have gone a bit...odd. I'm kind of glad someone else has the same problem as I'm not too happy with £200+ worth of knackered tyres at the moment. Can you give me a like to where you've seen that?

I've checked the load ratings 91Y, can't see year of manufacture (guessing I'm being dumb?) so took pics of all the side wall writing.

I also checked for scrubbing, I can't really see how they would scrub, its on 20mm spacers (cup suspension) and I've never heard of anyone else having trouble, I check the arches in inside the arches for any scraping or rubber/scorch marks but they look just fine.

Pics to follow (they're on my phone)...

The week and year of manufacturer is usually in a small rectangle, "2311", for example would mean they were made in week 23 of 2011.

It just looks so strange that mate, hopefully you'll get a positive conclusion to it. Standard are 87W so with 91Y I think you'd need to up the pressures a little but I can't see that causing the tread to flake like that... My SC3's had a few little nicks out of them after Bedford but even they weren't to that extreme.

Last edited:
Can't see anything in a little box Willis, the pics are all the writing on the tyre wall ^^.

Also, my rears and my old Hankooks were all 91Y. Did a quick search on here and some members have said that's the only load rating in our size, so guessing everyone else on the site has that rating? (People with Hankooks please let me know :smile: )

think it was on tyre wall got crack but on the top thread rubber is fall apart like your.

I will see find that tyres at work if it still there.

Check the rears for a date mark, you may have been sold a dodgy batch...