tyre Advice

Then you're paying too much for conti's! Should only be costing you ~£115/corner

ah right fair do's if you can get them for that,i thought they were around the £145 mark

imo the yoko's are a lot better though so well worth the extra fiver,and they look the nuts with there squarer sidewall and tread pattern

I've got conti 5's on the front and 3's on the rear. In my opinion don't try to save by putting bad tyres on, they are the most important thing when it comes to the handling of a car.

got to agree dealers put new wanlies on rear before i bought it, they are :thumbdown: shocking
just deciding on witch way to go with my wheels and then get some better tyres

We need a definitive tyre thread the same thing is cropping up all the time. Hankook v12 get my vote, the contis aren't even that great considering how expensive they are. More the fool for paying the extra over the hankooks if you want my opinion.

I've got conti SC5 on the front and SC3 on the rear, the ONLY downside is they can start to melt on track. But, drive them on the road and they soon clean up

what do you mean start to melt lol i wanna know they will be ok to drive on and cope with the nurburgring for 3-4 laps?

I find the SC3 very capable on wet or cool tracks but on dry warm days they do get rather baked like Ben has said. Last time out on a warm day (20-ish) at Bedford, they seemed to behave normally for 4-5 laps but then seemed to fall off a cliff and started to feel, squidgy, for want of a better word...

On the road they're brilliant rain or shine, not too shabby in snow either.

Last edited:
would these be better for what i want then? Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s?

IMO these are the best road tyres, but can't comment on track use.

On track, the fronts suffer the most - the n/s front doing most of the work, and often taking a lot of wear. On some circuits, such as Thruxton, you can ruin a set of front road tyres in a few laps, especially if you are running the kerbs.

Personally, I'd run the Good Year F1s all round, as road tyres, and take a spare pair of front wheels with old road tyres, slicks (if permitted, and dry) or a dedicated track/race tyre, to fit on arival at the track.

You often see the Clio Cup racers with mis-matched fronts and rears.

Has anyone tried Bridgestone Potenza RE002 Adrenalina?
I have had them for 5000 km and I must say I am very happy with the way they handle..

IMO these are the best road tyres, but can't comment on track use.

On track, the fronts suffer the most - the n/s front doing most of the work, and often taking a lot of wear. On some circuits, such as Thruxton, you can ruin a set of front road tyres in a few laps, especially if you are running the kerbs.

Personally, I'd run the Good Year F1s all round, as road tyres, and take a spare pair of front wheels with old road tyres, slicks (if permitted, and dry) or a dedicated track/race tyre, to fit on arival at the track.

You often see the Clio Cup racers with mis-matched fronts and rears.
I just want a set that I can put on till July time then use them to and from the nurburgring if that makes sense. I don't really want to be taking extra alloys with me if I don't have to.

Conti's are fine at the Nurburgring. I put 20~ laps in a day on my SC3's on a trackday there and was pushing the car hard due to no traffic. Excellent on road too, even in the wet.

hankook evo 12

i have hankook evo 12 tyres on my 197 they have excellent grip and last the pace:thumbup1:. defo replacing them with evo 12 again. they r on ebay for £75 a corner and free postage.

I agree, bought two hankook V12s for 93.50/corner which i thought was decent and they hold really well. Cant say compared to the conti's but compared to the **** the dealer had put on they are much better :smile:

Sent from my Windows Phone

I have had first hand experience with the conti's (3s), Hankook V12 evo, Michelin pilot sport and Michelin exalto.

Worst:
Hankook (seriously, not all they're cracked up to be, I prominse)
Best: Michelin range. Can't be beaten, excellent wet grip.
Best value for money: Conti Contact Sp 3s. Not far behind the Michelins performance wise and a fair bit cheaper.

Conti's are fine at the Nurburgring. I put 20~ laps in a day on my SC3's on a trackday there and was pushing the car hard due to no traffic. Excellent on road too, even in the wet.

Ah ok mate only thing is I can't seem to find any garages that can get the SC3'S

Put Conti Contact 5's on the wife's 197 (couldn't get 3's like were already on the car!) after she stuffed my old MR2 in a hedge and blamed the tyres!!
Were about £440 and got them fitted free when I had the wheels powder coated.

Federal 595 RSR's..

Epic trackday tyre that's just as good as the Toyo's R888's but at around £100 a corner they are great value too. Super sticky and provide a level of grip the contis could only ever dream of.

I've used these over the winter and really pleased with them. Cant fault them in the rain either. Bit dodgy on some impacted snow and ice the other day but then again tbf most tyres fall over on sheet ice.