Snow / winter tyres, advice?

I've got dunlop m3's. 205 50 17, next time I'll keep the stock size though, 215 45 17 should be better when there is no snow on the roads, 205 50 is a little soft on dry tarmac, this video shows me driving in the snow with them on, dont think you could do it on summer tyres :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSsWEHcucq0

Nokian WR G2 for me. Never failed in the conditions earlier this year. It isn't the best overall but price does reflect it.

Handling wise you can definately feel the softer compound. There is less feel in the steering but I can live with it.

I've got dunlop m3's. 205 50 17, next time I'll keep the stock size though, 215 45 17 should be better when there is no snow on the roads, 205 50 is a little soft on dry tarmac, this video shows me driving in the snow with them on, dont think you could do it on summer tyres :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSsWEHcucq0

LMAO at that video. looks liek u were having all the fun and the camera man was getting . . .. . well very cold lol.

conti winter contact are the best mate. I put these on my R26 wheels every year and its like a tractor chugging up hills :smile:

how about chains or skins , no winter tyre is going to get you through the bad stuff as you need the correct equipment in the first place

how about chains or skins , no winter tyre is going to get you through the bad stuff as you need the correct equipment in the first place

gotta say the socks look good but id rather do a 10 minute wheels change than mess around with socks.

Nokian WR G2 for me. Never failed in the conditions earlier this year. It isn't the best overall but price does reflect it.

Handling wise you can definately feel the softer compound. There is less feel in the steering but I can live with it.

These are the ones I was thinking of getting. Have got them on now then?

These are the ones I was thinking of getting. Have got them on now then?

Got them on the daily. Was on the laguna last year. The 1st time I tried them out was when it just started snowing and started to settle on the main roads. I had minimal wheel spin going up a slight incline whereas the X5 infront nearly stopped. Also have no trouble moving off from a standing start up a hill.

I only have 2 front winters on the daily as it is being sold in 2 weeks. It has bridgestone on the back and lets go way earlier than the Nokian in this cold damp weather.

Don't bother this year now, the price has doubled already.

If you are going to buy winter tyres then buy in the Summer.

Vredestein always come highly recommend.

I always want winter tyres but it's just sooo expensive, especially when you ideally want a second set of rims to put them on. Will just make do with driving sensibly and not taking the clio out in the snow

Don't bother this year now, the price has doubled already.

If you are going to buy winter tyres then buy in the Summer.

Vredestein always come highly recommend.

Its hardly too late to buy winter tyres; its only just getting cold and snow is coming. I do not want to get stuck again with my sh!tty summer tyres and have to leave my car somewhere.
The price may have recently gone up but its still cheaper than the cost of a repair after running off the road or into someone; yes i know someone else could still run into me!

I have found the Nokian WR G2's for £90.40 each corner while the Conti's are at the higher end at £171.60 each (these prices are delivered but not fitted).

Not to late if money is no object, then you are correct.

Why spend more than you have to, was my point.

Not to late if money is no object, then you are correct.

Why spend more than you have to, was my point.

No object mate, i'm loaded! :nope:
Would rather be safe TBH and the price difference is very small.

But i don't suppose you really have to worry about snow very often in Cornwall?
Its already snowing in Yorkshire!

Ye I understand, one tyre I was looking at was £40 but went up to £90 as soon as the word snow was mentioned. Crazy tbh.

Na does not snow very much, mainly in february and march but then its not the snow I worry about, black ice is.

What ever tyres you go for stick a review up, always nice to hear peoples views.

Ye I understand, one tyre I was looking at was £40 but went up to £90 as soon as the word snow was mentioned. Crazy tbh.

Na does not snow very much, mainly in february and march but then its not the snow I worry about, black ice is.

What ever tyres you go for stick a review up, always nice to hear peoples views.

Winter tyres improve grip on ice and wet roads, they are not just for snow.

I'll let you know my thoughts when they are fitted but to be honest the summer Goodyears i have on at the moment feel like I'm on ice, nearly stacked it this morning in the Centre of Sheffield! Not good.

Has anyone used socks?? Car gets very little use in the winter so can't justify the tyres, more after a get you out of trouble fix? Are they any good?

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Lukepanigale Gallery 0
RossWoods93 General Chat 53
W Clio 197 Area 2
Chris General Chat 23
Rick Gallery 11