Trackday tyre choice

yeh i think 595's are perfect choice for OP cheaper too i think .

another for low pressures hot . . . welcome

Ps get a thread up of your car, its not a 197 or 200 but its still mint

Haha :wink: I didn't want to add fuel to a fire but just thought I would share my experience :smile:

Thank you mate! I'm actually on here researching as I need a road clio back in my life having one that I can only drive on track and roughly once a month is doing my head in :wink:

Haha :wink: I didn't want to add fuel to a fire but just thought I would share my experience :smile:

Thank you mate! I'm actually on here researching as I need a road clio back in my life having one that I can only drive on track and roughly once a month is doing my head in :wink:

Do you have a pic of yours . . . was it at TDF recently ?

Yup that's the one .

Lovely car , super clean .

Check out the track day section on here if your going to a track day post it up . I will try to meet you .

Are you local to TDF ?

Thanks mate :smile:

I had a flick through earlier actually but not sure when my next one will be! Sounds good and I wouldn't mind a look around a 200 as really got a thing for them!

No, based up near Leeds but don't mind travelling to Cambridge for the quality of work that TDF offer :smile:

Thanks mate :smile:

I had a flick through earlier actually but not sure when my next one will be! Sounds good and I wouldn't mind a look around a 200 as really got a thing for them!

No, based up near Leeds but don't mind travelling to Cambridge for the quality of work that TDF offer :smile:

I guess i'm a little lucky as only about an hour away. I cant wait to drop mine off this Wednesday for some more work :smile:

More than welcome to take a mosey around mine anytime you like

you got any times or anything from say Cadwell park for comparison ? ( dry laps)

Ah thats handy then :smile: Sounds good and hopefully it will be there sometime when I'm there, thanks!

Afraid not we aren't racing at Cadwell this year so I doubt we will do it, just trying to focus on the circuits we are racing on and get some time in the car as still not done any real setup on the car yet just trying to get me back upto speed :smile:

Hopefully meet you at TDF in the near future!

Ah thats handy then :smile: Sounds good and hopefully it will be there sometime when I'm there, thanks!

Afraid not we aren't racing at Cadwell this year so I doubt we will do it, just trying to focus on the circuits we are racing on and get some time in the car as still not done any real setup on the car yet just trying to get me back upto speed :smile:

Hopefully meet you at TDF in the near future!

Yeh for sure :wink:

Speak soon

I may be being stupid but aren't the 048's the R888 equivalent? Although from what I hear worse in the wet than the 888's? I wouldn't suggest them as well as a set of semi slicks as they already are some :wink: For what you are describing I would go with some 595's as they will shift a lot more standing water but still provide great grip. Wouldn't it work out cheaper to buy them in the UK and get them shipped over? From memory on my R27 I think they run 215/45 17's and here http://www.racecarnewmedia.com/bmtr/news.asp?NewsID=45 are selling them for £68 a tyre. I doubt they would charge too much to ship abroad.

PS I run the 888's at 28psi hot on my mk2 clio and have no issues after 45-60 mins on track and the pyro always reads nice consistent temps across the full tyre. I suppose the mk3's are heavier and I can't remember what I used to run the 888's at on my R27.

perfect thanks a lot for the link never thought they are that cheap, may go for it half price seems a bargain!!

I don't know what those AD08's are like as i've not tried any (or mates have) but they do look more road tyre than the feds, like a softer sidewall.

That would make the two tyres in the first post two different types of tyre.

The feds are constructed like a race tyre, stiff walls, i belive making them a better track tyre, like an 888 a lot of the grip comes from this.

I've used 888's (still do) and get a fair bit of mileage out of them in a 1000kg car but traveling across europe in wet weather makes for an interesting drive so i looked for a more road based tyre, after trying goodyear F1's i ended up with hankooks RS2's.

These are great on the road and i could also use them as a wet day tyre on track, i've also used these dry at a track day but they soon heat up, squeal a little and then understeer, they can also fold a little (in dry on track) as can be seen after were the tyre dressing has worn off.

As a road tyre though i'd recomend them to anyone, the front set i have on now are around 7000 miles old and still look like new.

I've used ad08's in my old hawkeye impreza and they are simply awesome, one great thing about the ad08 is the steel sidewall, I ran for 3 months with a puncture and didn't know it, even at 130+ mph. My mate has just put them on his evo 8mr and loves them

Went for the Federal 595 rsr's in the end after A2on bullied me into the purchase :wink:

Will report back my thoughts, ended up paying £390 with VAT for 4 so quite a good price :smile:

yeah got a good deal from Birmingham tyres, arranged someone to pick them up for me so also saved on the postage :smile: thanks for the link whoever posted it !!

Im not getting into all this pressures again lol

The 595's have SUPERB heat spread capabilities even better than an R888 when we tested them with Tyre pyro all day on track such a cool even spread of temps so a nice regular predictable gain / loss of pressure .

in the end we ran 4 diff pressures across front rear and side to side as we were loading up on wheel more than others etc etc

but if and when i fit mine ill try 32-33 hot

however some people may run different pressures and thats just fine . . .

Compared to the R888s, how are the 595s on the road?

R888s are just too noisy etc for non-track driving.

as far as i know fed 595 rsr is ultraperformance summer tyres, not semi slicks.

semi slicks are fed fz-201, toyo r888, kumho v70, dunlop direzza 03g.

i want to upgrade from street tires to semi slicks, does it make sense with non cup suspension+semi slicks? or in this case semi slicks will wear out quickly?

I use my clio on trackdays, mainly and want to improve my lap times.

pls share your experineces on semi slicks, appreciate in advnce!

cheers Flacsi

as far as i know fed 595 rsr is ultraperformance summer tyres, not semi slicks.

semi slicks are fed fz-201, toyo r888, kumho v70, dunlop direzza 03g.

i want to upgrade from street tires to semi slicks, does it make sense with non cup suspension+semi slicks? or in this case semi slicks will wear out quickly?

I use my clio on trackdays, mainly and want to improve my lap times.

pls share your experineces on semi slicks, appreciate in advnce!

cheers Flacsi

I've ran Toyo R888s on all but one trackday I've done in our 200. Very awesome tyre, even in the wet I found, however not on standing water.

On track they are really sticky, though I imagine you will experience a lot of body roll in a non-cup suspension'd Clio?

honestly, not much body roll at all.
i have done close to 40 laps this year @ hungaroring. i have a stock clio rs 197, upgraded the brake pads to ferodo ds 2500, goodridge brake lines, itg panel filter.
with the brake pad upgrade, i was able to get quicker nearly 2 secs in a lap.
but now is the time for tire upgrade and suspensions, but i know its all about money, so want to spend carefully :smile:
do you have stock suspension or upgraded to some KW, H&R or sthing, pls?
what time you could gain with it?