Trackday tyre choice

I thought we were going to keep that little story just between the two of us!?! :smiley:

Andy will be soooo upset tho

Don't tell him please

We need to get him having a nosy on here then we can malign him

too expensive for me i think :wink: 700 is already a lot for a student budget haha

can you get 595 rsr's ? ( federals )

or hankook Rs2's ?

what are you looking for an all rounder or a dedicated track day tyre . . .

are you running wets in the . . . err wet ? does it ever rain there ? LOL

can you get 595 rsr's ? ( federals )

or hankook Rs2's ?

what are you looking for an all rounder or a dedicated track day tyre . . .

are you running wets in the . . . err wet ? does it ever rain there ? LOL

yeah sure i can they come to 580 euros for a set in Italy.

A bit of both to be honest with you but guys today with semi slicks had great times and far more grip, i do trackdays at least once a month now so i wouldn't the inconvenience of semi slicks for daily use. Hardly rains in the summer to be honest with you and i have snow tyres for the winter...

Id give the RSR's a go . . .

Ive used them as a road and track tyre when i had the VXR . . i mean i ran a stretched ( ish ) tyre on a 9" rim but its all the same . . .

great track day tyre, amazing life span, great in the wet , and nice and sticky in the heat on track .

As an aside i had a Tyre pyro guy with me and with his help the spread of temps across the tyre was near perfect too .

pyro.png

not sure if youll be able to read that ? ^^^

ignore the pressures mike your head will explode. . .

The only thing holding me back with the 595 rsrs is that my friend had some on his vw scirocco and he kept complaining about them all the time maybe that was due to it being quite cold... the price difference is only 100 euros between the 595 rsrs and the fed fz 201 :smile:

The only thing holding me back with the 595 rsrs is that my friend had some on his vw scirocco and he kept complaining about them all the time maybe that was due to it being quite cold... the price difference is only 100 euros between the 595 rsrs and the fed fz 201 :smile:

one will be ok in the rain and wont require to much heating up .

one will require allot of heating up and be worse than a R888 in the wet .

The toyos are definitely better starting with a higher pressure. I was using 25 psi cold and I was nearly ripping the tyre off the rim and seriously over heating the tyres after 4 laps around oulton. Got advised by this megane guy who knew his bacon to run a higher cold pressure. Hey presto, quicker laps, more composed and less tyre wear. I'm not saying it was terrible with the lower pressure but it was quite the inprovement with the higher psi.

I was referring to the relatively "low" recommended pressures.

Quality bit of willy waving though :smiley: Nice one :smile:

LOL

It's good to have something to wave about!!!

Last edited:
The toyos are definitely better starting with a higher pressure. I was using 25 psi cold and I was nearly ripping the tyre off the rim and seriously over heating the tyres after 4 laps around oulton. Got advised by this megane guy who knew his bacon to run a higher cold pressure. Hey presto, quicker laps, more composed and less tyre wear. I'm not saying it was terrible with the lower pressure but it was quite the inprovement with the higher psi.

interesting.

I have always run my 888's at around 34psi when hot. So what did he suggest, literally a few extra psi?

My tyres generally wear evenly, without sidewall wear, and even shoulder wear. Tho they do go blue around the edges a fair amount.