Trackday tyre choice

Lol u must admit 'twas a politicians answer to his question

if thats the case we would get drunk on tax free beer in a bar full of like minded people , then once suitably intoxicated have a fight and head butt each other . . .

if you believe the media that is :wiz: :wiz:

if thats the case we would get drunk on tax free beer in a bar full of like minded people , then once suitably intoxicated have a fight and head butt each other . . .

if you believe the media that is :wiz: :wiz:

I must say it sounds like you have been following me on my nights out

interesting.

I have always run my 888's at around 34psi when hot. So what did he suggest, literally a few extra psi?

My tyres generally wear evenly, without sidewall wear, and even shoulder wear. Tho they do go blue around the edges a fair amount.

mine get this blue tinge also . again running about the same PSI .

Glad its normal.

Well, I tried them at 30psi once cooled down. Hot they where touching 40+psi (it was a warm day). This is about 5 psi shy of what the megane boys run as they have the extra weight. I found it too be an improvement anyway, especially as I was getting slower after a few laps running the lower pressure due to overheating. It was like driving on play doh.

Well, I tried them at 30psi once cooled down. Hot they where touching 40+psi (it was a warm day). This is about 5 psi shy of what the megane boys run as they have the extra weight. I found it too be an improvement anyway, especially as I was getting slower after a few laps running the lower pressure due to overheating. It was like driving on play doh.

Did you experience any central wear to the tyre at those temps ?

Sorry stu, I've just been informed by a moderator he is still using playdoh

Bluetinge? What's next, a time machine that goes back to the 40s and allows him to relive the war he was never born in time for

You should all just man up and destroy your Conti's. :tongueout:

I've had blue/green shoulders and 5p coins sticking to them before now. That's with 30PSI cold all round, no idea on hot pressures, no uneven wear issues.

Last edited:
I don't know what those AD08's are like as i've not tried any (or mates have) but they do look more road tyre than the feds, like a softer sidewall.

That would make the two tyres in the first post two different types of tyre.

The feds are constructed like a race tyre, stiff walls, i belive making them a better track tyre, like an 888 a lot of the grip comes from this.

I've used 888's (still do) and get a fair bit of mileage out of them in a 1000kg car but traveling across europe in wet weather makes for an interesting drive so i looked for a more road based tyre, after trying goodyear F1's i ended up with hankooks RS2's.

These are great on the road and i could also use them as a wet day tyre on track, i've also used these dry at a track day but they soon heat up, squeal a little and then understeer, they can also fold a little (in dry on track) as can be seen after were the tyre dressing has worn off.

As a road tyre though i'd recomend them to anyone, the front set i have on now are around 7000 miles old and still look like new.

I only use the tyres for trackdays on a separate set of wheels and the worst wear is on the walls. The wear on the middle is even and as you would expect from a track tyre. This is just my own experience with the tyres and I just do it for a bit of fun.

I must say thanks to certain high ranking officials on this forum the troll has got away with it for a longtime, I'm just glad some of us ain't so gullible, some of us ex owners ain't so gullible, our mis?? behaviour is for the benefit of what can be a very good forum, not that I'm polling to be my area rep, until I have my albi 197

I only use the tyres for trackdays on a separate set of wheels and the worst wear is on the walls. The wear on the middle is even and as you would expect from a track tyre. This is just my own experience with the tyres and I just do it for a bit of fun.

this is great if your not getting central wear as this is what makes me concerned about running at higher PSI

ill have to see what all the fuss is about on the next track day cant hurt for one session to see what its like .

Lol any more than that and n's buddy will be allowed to carry on regardless

thanks for the feedback guys think ill just go with the yoko ad048's due to the miles i do around Europe in variable conditions and just get some semi slicks later on with another set of wheels :smile:

thanks for the feedback guys think ill just go with the yoko ad048's due to the miles i do around Europe in variable conditions and just get some semi slicks later on with another set of wheels :smile:

Sensible option there Ollie.

Cant help but feel the Fed 595 rsr would be just what you need .

give it a go.

I may be being stupid but aren't the 048's the R888 equivalent? Although from what I hear worse in the wet than the 888's? I wouldn't suggest them as well as a set of semi slicks as they already are some :wink: For what you are describing I would go with some 595's as they will shift a lot more standing water but still provide great grip. Wouldn't it work out cheaper to buy them in the UK and get them shipped over? From memory on my R27 I think they run 215/45 17's and here http://www.racecarnewmedia.com/bmtr/news.asp?NewsID=45 are selling them for £68 a tyre. I doubt they would charge too much to ship abroad.

PS I run the 888's at 28psi hot on my mk2 clio and have no issues after 45-60 mins on track and the pyro always reads nice consistent temps across the full tyre. I suppose the mk3's are heavier and I can't remember what I used to run the 888's at on my R27.

i may be being stupid but aren't the 048's the r888 equivalent? Although from what i hear worse in the wet than the 888's? I wouldn't suggest them as well as a set of semi slicks as they already are some :wink: for what you are describing i would go with some 595's as they will shift a lot more standing water but still provide great grip. Wouldn't it work out cheaper to buy them in the uk and get them shipped over? From memory on my r27 i think they run 215/45 17's and here http://www.racecarnewmedia.com/bmtr/news.asp?newsid=45 are selling them for £68 a tyre. I doubt they would charge too much to ship abroad.

Ps i run the 888's at 28psi hot on my mk2 clio and have no issues after 45-60 mins on track and the pyro always reads nice consistent temps across the full tyre. I suppose the mk3's are heavier and i can't remember what i used to run the 888's at on my r27.

yeh i think 595's are perfect choice for OP cheaper too i think .

another for low pressures hot . . . welcome

Ps get a thread up of your car, its not a 197 or 200 but its still mint

Last edited: