Trackday tyre choice

Hi guys,

My Conti's are now complete slicks after todays trackday so i have to get some new tyres asap :smile:

I have 2 options that i am stuck between at the moment so maybe some feedback from someone will help with my choice. I use the car as a daily driver but then again i live in Italy atm so the weather is usually hot and dry so semi slicks should be ok. R888's are basically unobtainable until at least 2 months so they are out of the question :worried:

Federal FZ-201 priced at 700 euros for a set:

modp_1006_47_o+tire_buyers_guide+federal_fz_201.jpg

Or Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 priced at 615 euros for a set:

yokohama-advan-ad08.jpg

thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Not used either but those Federal looks MINT. The 595RSR things are meant to be good from them and these look like a step further again.

used the federals amazing tyre .

and not even in the same bracket as the others you posted .

be aware though using a cut slick type tyre will stress the car to the max :smile:

I run fed 595 rsr on my daily in the uk, I wouldn't recommend anything else afterwards as an all round tyre, don't know much about the fzs but if you have the weather for them, give us all a report

yeah the Feds have great reviews although they aren't that popular (probably due to availability and price).

A20N: how would you compare the feds to the r888 do they wear much? in what way will it stress the car ? today the car seemed very stressed haha with such bald tyres and low levels of grip, i even nearly spun out :smile:

I mean suspension , ball joints , braking later more wear etc etc

Like this and this is on R888's

404366_259910177418222_121245047951403_566209_1631618186_n.jpg

Again thy are on a different level to the R888 more grip as its that one step closer to a slick !

we also use them for testing on the time attack car

ahh i understand now :smile: thanks for the explanation, may have to go for them just to be different and give some feedback

That pic just looks like an underflated front tyre being abused!

Did it have any writing left on the side wall?!? Haha

The federals are more in the category as r888s, AD08s are a great tyre for any situation but not in the same league as r888sor those federals which have some good reviews.

That pic just looks like an underflated front tyre being abused!

Did it have any writing left on the side wall?!? Haha

That tyre is runin 34psi Hot ! Plenty ample

It was posted more to show the heavy suspension compression from the grip produced .

That tyre is runin 34psi Hot ! Plenty ample

It was posted more to show the heavy suspension compression from the grip produced .

Should be running higher than 34 hot on a Clio, stuieplk was advised to run standard pressures reaching upto 40psi on 888s hot is much better, he ran much quicker afterwards...

Should be running higher than 34 hot on a Clio, stuieplk was advised to run standard pressures reaching upto 40psi on 888s hot is much better, he ran much quicker afterwards...

Really . . . .

Interesting . . . . i think ill stick with 34 :wink:

Has your mate had tyre pyro on his car around Cadwell park ?

Your mate should read this :wink:

Toyo Tires recommends the following general set up guidelines for the Proxes R888:

Operating Temperature: 160°F to 220°F
Hot Inflation Pressures: 32 to 38 (psi)
Camber: -2.5° to -5.0°
Caster: As much positive as possible

the above is general of course but on everything bar the timeattack car last year on road tyres on track ive not known anyone run at 40 PSI !!!

Ive not known anyone to see a benefit from running "overinflated" track day tyres . other than excessive wear to the middle of the tyre.

Have a nosy at fredrickr26 on megsports build...

The 888s got binned for kumho v70s, stuieplk was definitely quicker when the pressures were higher, his r27 handled much better with more standard pressures

I had the misfortune of going out with John raping more or less everything on track, I'll take his word after seeing how his car and setup dealt with the competition...

Have a nosy at fredrickr26 on megsports build...

The 888s got binned for kumho v70s, stuieplk was definitely quicker when the pressures were higher, his r27 handled much better with more standard pressures

I had the misfortune of going out with John raping more or less everything on track, I'll take his word after seeing how his car and setup dealt with the competition...

Okie dokie :coffee:

Your quote from toyo proves it, stuies tyres were hitting 38-40c, with near normal pressures as a starting point....

And trust me stu doesn't hold back when taking his car out, he's one of the few who has blown a near standard engine

Love it typical cs type response :w00t:

you said take a read . . . so i was off to have a read . . . hence the reading smiley .

interesting stuff.

I shall not post a icon in case i provoke another reaction

ok ok i will :wiz: :wiz: :wiz:?