Steves Megane conversion build - She's finally running (VIDEO inside)

Unless your going for mega high power there's no point in fitting cams to the Meg engine.

Oh right, thats another thing off the list, thanks.

List so far

-helix clutch and cover
-630cc injectors
-Manley conrods
-forged pistons (Undecided on the actual ones yet)
-ARP con rod and head bolts
-meg 250 turbo
-Milltek downpipe
-Maybe inconel valves
-New lifters

im sure this list will grow.

The hex socket worked in the end! I got one piston off tonight as i didnt have much time. Ill take the rest out tomorrow.

photo47_zps9cb2d85b.jpgphoto47_zps9cb2d85b.jpgphoto110_zps4ea2c990.jpg

Also here are two 1972 honda cb350's I rebuilt with my uncle for the past two years. They are immaculate.

Sadly my uncle unexpectedly passed away in march when we had just completed the bikes but he never got to ride his. If it werent for my uncle i would never have the "know how" to be able to strip the megane engine. So all this build thread will be kind of dedicated to him. He also helped me buy my 197 by helping me with the deposit. I wouldnt therefore be a Clio sport owner without him. RIP Jeff.

photo52_zpscd0c4fe5.jpg

Reactions: Harrylewis
UPDATE: The engine is finally completely stripped and ready for degreasing/clean up and painting. Ill be selling the pistons and rods for some extra funds for forged ones. Ill also sell my turbo in for a 250 one. The colour scheme for the engine will probably be black and red to go with the cars exterior.

Today i removed all the pistons and crank shaft assembly, everything is in excellent condition.

photo48_zpsbfb79f3f.jpgphoto53_zpscc04f51c.jpgphoto212_zps993517e9.jpgphoto111_zpsf062ea12.jpgphoto311_zps707653a4.jpg

The only thing I would suggest is the 250 turbo is only good for 320'ish brake so not gonna make the most and expense of forging the engine......

The only thing I would suggest is the 250 turbo is only good for 320'ish brake so not gonna make the most and expense of forging the engine......

I know, 320 is plenty for me at the moment. 320 is also the absolute limit of what oem rods take. So the idea of forging the pistons and rods is to get a reliable amount of power not maximum. I may upgrade the turbo at a later date, when the modding bug bites again :wink:

Yeah it will be put the other way round, it fell out and I put it back in randomly to make sure I didn't loose it. Grooves on the outside then I take it?

yes and the white "soft" metal to crank thrust face - steel backing to cap/block...

seen engines come in with them the wrong way round!

If the Clio box is kept, which is made of cheese anyway, doesn't the extra power/torque when boosted just lunch it quick time?

If the Clio box is kept, which is made of cheese anyway, doesn't the extra power/torque when boosted just lunch it quick time?

In reality the gearbox is actually alright. The numbers that have failed are relatively low.

I've done around 20k with nearly 300lb torque from the Meg engine through my 200 gearbox and it's still running as sweet as the day I picked the car up new. In total the gearbox as done nearly 80k in its 4 year life.

In reality the gearbox is actually alright. The numbers that have failed are relatively low.

I've done around 20k with nearly 300lb torque from the Meg engine through my 200 gearbox and it's still running as sweet as the day I picked the car up new. In total the gearbox as done nearly 80k in its 4 year life.

But they shouldn't fail at all. The car is designed to take a hammering, the gearbox should be up to the task. I ruined mine after my FIRST track outing at like 60k. T'is why I changed to a meg box...nothing but a pure lack of faith.

Thats impressive mate, I honestly didn't think a box with that many miles on + the extra torque would cope. Just proves they aren't all bad.

But they shouldn't fail at all. The car is designed to take a hammering, the gearbox should be up to the task. I ruined mine after my FIRST track outing at like 60k. T'is why I changed to a meg box...nothing but a pure lack of faith.

Does the meg box drop straight in if you use meg shafts? I'd of thought the slightly taller ratios make a n/a feel pretty sluggish compared to the standard box?

Thats impressive mate, I honestly didn't think a box with that many miles on + the extra torque would cope. Just proves they aren't all bad.

Its all just luck of draw with the boxes tbh. I'll put a brand new 200 gearbox in my clio with the megane engine for the slightly longer final drive

5th and 6th gear with the clio box is quite simply epic when combined with meg power. Plant your foot down at 90 and it just takes off with a rate of acceleration that defies belief.

5th and 6th gear with the clio box is quite simply epic when combined with meg power. Plant your foot down at 90 and it just takes off with a rate of acceleration that defies belief.

I see you're only in Chesterfield mate, I'm down between J26/27. Wouldn't mind meeting up and seeing what the conversion entails sometime.