Steves Megane conversion build - She's finally running (VIDEO inside)

I will be following this closely as I've 72k on the clock, after 4 yrs, so seriously considering upgrading performance and hence wondering about going Turbo. :smile:

Is it more problematic to go down this route, assuming Megane engine at reasonable price, or Turbo the 200 and then how far do you go??

Excuse my ignorance as I'm new to CS197, but I am not aware of the technical similarities/difference of the 2 engines in relation to the difficulty of fitment, ie mounting points, gearbox etc. also would a budget of 4k be enough to do a decent job assuming all build work done personally. If this has been covered before please redirect as I haven't found it - maybe this is the downside of 'grey-power'.

The whole problem with turboing the clio engine is the ecu doesn't like it, therefore you have to use a piggy back ecu which starts costing a lot of money. Therefore this whole concept of just putting an already turbo'd engine into the clio using the megane loom and ecu

I will be following this closely as I've 72k on the clock, after 4 yrs, so seriously considering upgrading performance and hence wondering about going Turbo. :smile:

Is it more problematic to go down this route, assuming Megane engine at reasonable price, or Turbo the 200 and then how far do you go??

Excuse my ignorance as I'm new to CS197, but I am not aware of the technical similarities/difference of the 2 engines in relation to the difficulty of fitment, ie mounting points, gearbox etc. also would a budget of 4k be enough to do a decent job assuming all build work done personally. If this has been covered before please redirect as I haven't found it - maybe this is the downside of 'grey-power'.

Loads more build threads here Bruce:

http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?39392-Boosted-Build-Threads

[MENTION=50319]Stephenvenning[/MENTION] [MENTION=3203]Rogue[/MENTION] you need to put a link to your threads in this section :smile:

Right guys ive got a question for you, ive stripped the engine down to just the block and this evening I tried to undo the big end con rod bolts. they appear to just be hex head bolts for a 11mm socket. However when undoing them the socket just starts to round the bolt off. ive tried to go to smaller 10mm but this is too small. is there a special socket for this or is the bolt imperial sized? help would be much appreciated!

I might pick up a hex socket tomorrow. The multi socket I don't think it is good enough even my snap on ones. Cheers for the advice guys.

The arp ones I replaced mine with were female torx sockets

Good I'm glad to hear that as mine will be replaced with arp bolts. I just want to get these bolts out easily so I can sell the pistons and conrods to help fund for some nice shiny forged ones

Nothing like a budget build :smile: I'm enjoying the progress. Plenty of pics please :smile:

Nothing like a budget build :smile: I'm enjoying the progress. Plenty of pics please :smile:

This will be far from a budget build :lol: there will be pictures tomorrow, I've got loads. I'm using this engine build as a project for my HNC in engineering next year.

I don't mean it like that sorry Stephen, just replying to selling the standards etc. my bad

Looks good! Cams look pretty clean too, no scoring on them, for what I can see.

fingers crossed it's been a looked after engine :smile: checked the block for cracks etc?

Yeah that's what I thought, i was expecting worse. There is very slight scoring on the rocker cover but only very slight so not too bothered by it really. I will check for cracks once it's been cleaned. There where no visible oil leaks when I checked it over first.

That's a good sign then [MENTION=29]foxspeed[/MENTION]

last block I seen was my mates YB cosworth 205 block, car ran a healthy 380+Hp on the rollers etc and ran for ages. Once stripped down for a restoration, the block showed a MASSIVE crack almost running the whole length of the block, god knows how it didn't split in half lol. So he's now got the 200 block