Sprint Hillclimb 197

Megane calipers worth spending the money on?

I think so. There is a huge difference. When I got them from RDP they were way cheaper than the Clio ones, not sure if thats still the case. The only thing is, those 2 piece disks are very expensive for disks.

People say they are lighter. I couldn’t see a whole lot of difference to my mk3 meg disks which are 10mm bigger. They also say they will be cheaper in the long run as you just have to buy rotors next, but when I checked way back, the rotors were dearer than the plain mk3 meg disks.

But they look cool for sure lol. If they made a normal plain disk the same size with the correct pcd and center bore etc id defo have them instead.

Reactions: Big Ben and suj
I did some looking into this a while ago, but never got round to buying a disc to check.
But I believe the phase 2 V6 Clio disc may work. Might be worth investigating..... unfortunately the internet didn’t really have any size info.

Reactions: av4625
I did some looking into this a while ago, but never got round to buying a disc to check.
But I believe the phase 2 V6 Clio disc may work. Might be worth investigating..... unfortunately the internet didn’t really have any size info.

Do you know what diameter they are?

Disc hat appears to be much shallower on the V6 discs compared to the 197 discs.

PCD can be redrilled at home, there isn't a big difference between the two and i'm sure you'd be able to find the disc spigot ring for the centre bore on eBay.

Always thought about those meg 3 calipers for mine too. I can never seem to find a definitive list of parts of what's needed though!

Also, when I did my sump gasket I had the exact same rubber material in my pickup and so did someone else I've seen do theirs! Was glad I got it removed

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

Always thought about those meg 3 calipers for mine too. I can never seem to find a definitive list of parts of what's needed though!

Also, when I did my sump gasket I had the exact same rubber material in my pickup and so did someone else I've seen do theirs! Was glad I got it removed

There’s a kit on supreme website. Still need to buy meg calipers though. Not a cheap upgrade. Time you add pads you’re north of a grand all in before labour!

Reactions: lewishunter98
There’s a kit on supreme website. Still need to buy meg calipers though. Not a cheap upgrade. Time you add pads you’re north of a grand all in before labour!
Definitely not a cheap upgrade but I think I'd look at redrilled meg discs before two piece 330mm ones! & I'd do it all myself. But even then, still not cheap. [emoji23]

Reactions: Big Ben and RSRowe

-Caliper spacers
-Longer bolts (You want ones with a flat hex head)
-Megane disc with redrilled PCD
-Brake disc spigot ring as the centre bore is different.

Pretty much every single part can be bought from eBay. I bought the Meg calipers from RPD for £300 (in Red). Perfect DIY project if you’ve got the time.

i did mine myself. I got the godspeed kit. You need spacers, longer bolts (dont need flat hex head if running 330mm disks but if you try and squeeze 340mm meg disks in under standard wheels you defo will), disks and calipers.

Reactions: Big Ben and Sean197
Little/Big update:

The car is now off axle stands for the first time since December!
Both seats are back in with the harnesses on the harness bar. Got my camera mounted to the cage, hoping to get better footage than when it was mounted to the passenger seat.
nice build was wondering where you got the screw terminals for the battery been looking but can't find them anywhere
cheers Paul

View attachment 138342

Got a small battery mounted behind the passenger seat, I'm happy with how this turned out as it is nice and tidy.

View attachment 138343

Got a hans device at autosport international now that I have a cage and picked up new hans harnesses for the drivers side. Moved my wider harnesses to the passenger side.

View attachment 138344

Got the new footplate that Rentune have made. Its really nice and sturdy. Didn't like my carbon footplate as I was always scared of breaking it getting in and out as the way it was mounted wasn't great.

View attachment 138345

Removed all the sound deadening from the car, this was slightly easier than I thought it would be!

View attachment 138346

Those rust spots at the drains are annoying me, need to get that tidied up.

I put the existing positive battery terminal in a little junction box thing so that it doesn't short on anything in the engine bay. I got some 3mm thick plastic and screwed it to the gearbox and screwed the junction box to it. made a bracket to hold the fuse box and cable tied the other (relay?) box to it, this could be tidier, need to think of something better.
Got the induction kit in with a bracket and its fed from the fog light.

View attachment 138350

View attachment 138347

Some trackcardoorcards for the back (still need some holes drilled and 2 more screws each)

View attachment 138348

This is what it looks like on the eibach springs and early 200 cup shocks.

View attachment 138349

Got the wheels aligned as we had the hole front apart and also put on new outer track rod ends. The measurements seem to be pretty consistent at the back which is good.

View attachment 138353

View attachment 138352

When driving to the tyre place to get the alignment I was expecting the car to be really harsh with the new springs and all the powerflex bushings in the arms and back axel. But it really wasnt. I feel it was almost harsher with the cup springs (weird).

The car sounds good with the toyo manifold, induction kit and non res scorpion cat back. It is quite loud now though. One issue I had, twice when I was out the engine management flashed a few times then went out. What could that be? The manifold? The fuel is probably a bit dead as it is from October, although it is super unleaded.

edit: also has a new precat lambda sensor

Made a thing with a micro controller that turns the traction control off after the car starts. I was always forgetting to turn it off before runs and it then messed up the run. Especially now with the diff, the traction control has a fit when the diff locks.

515CD467-DD40-4C98-984F-911176992E3B.jpeg

B9FF6DD2-D94C-4D7E-B142-5535CF7D964A.jpeg

That track looks great. Your lines looked nice and smooth

My only comment, is I would come into the pits with a few revs instead of rolling on idle. Keeps the oil pump spinning faster.

Reactions: av4625
Had a two day event a couple of weekends ago.
Got a second in road going on the Saturday behind an E92 V8 M3 lol
Took the win on the Sunday, the M3 wasn't there lol

Had a really strange issue on the Sunday, I noticed after the 3rd run that the bottom bolt in the alternater was backing out, was tricky to tighten as the head of the bolt had backed out into the tensioner idler. Another dude in the paddock had a skinny spanner that we were able to get it tightened back up with. We added a nut on the end to try and stop it happening again even though it was screwed into a threaded bit.

That was all fine, then after the next run we checked on it and the alternator was loose and the belt was loose :O
It snapped the lug off the other side of the alternator this time. So we bodged it for the final run! This worked fine for the last run and to get me home.

image0.jpeg

Couldn't get another alternator with the same part number. All the second hand ones seem to have a different part number. Having researched this, I think the ones with the different part number would still work as if you look up aftermarket alternators for my car. The ones that come up say they are a replacement for my part number and the different part number that I saw, so they must be the same? Mine is 120A and has a single trigger wire. So my dad took it to a guy that deals with start motors and alternators. He found another that had the same end casing so he swapped my end casing for the one he had for £20!

Last edited:
Here is a short video from the first practice where I overcooked it into the chicane :tearsofjoy:
Definitely thought I was going straight into the tyre wall when I hit the grass. It was damp and wet when I was going to the track that morning. But it was quite windy. When I headed out for the first practice I was surprised that the track was so dry. But when I came to this chicane it hadn't dried at this side of the track and I was going way to quick for a damp track on well worn R888R's.

You can hear in this video that the marshal also thought I was off haha and his face at the end is classic!

Alternator back on with new supporting rods.
IMG_0366.jpeg

I decided to make my own aluminium radiator support because why not. My original wasn't too bad but weight saving and all that :tearsofjoy:

IMG_0425.jpeg

IMG_0426.jpeg

I'm definitely no fabricator but I'm happy with how it turned out. As you can see mine doesn't have the lug in the middle'ish for the radiator. On my original radiator support my radiator sat as it does now in the new one. I wondered why everyone complained about the standard Clio radiator support not having the lug in the same place as the sport one cause you don't even need it, right!? I realised about half way through making the new one that the rubber bush on the radiator on the left as we look at the pictures was round and it was in an oval hole in the radiator support and that it was actually meant to be in the front lug as it had a round hole. Because I don't have a welder I decided to go with the oval hole in the middle of the new support and I went to Renault and got two new rubber oval bushes and put the radiator in there. It has been mounted like this in the old bracket since I have the car and done no harm and seems to sit more square.

I had already cut off the rear stays for the old support and removed the connected brackets. So not counting that I saved another 2kg's with this aluminium support.

Reactions: LiamP and Sean197