Sprint Hillclimb 197

Who are you getting the mapping with I might take this thing somewhere to do a couple of runs and see were it's at if you need track rims I have a few 197 ones I also know where there is a few Laguna Silverstone's possibly 3 anyway.

Fitted a new camshaft sensor today, jeepers the difference is unbelievable. I feel silly not realising it was down on power before lol 7 seconds 0-60 with ease now, could go slightly faster if you wanted.

New battery box in as the one in the car had broken clips and was all warped out of shape. Just the little box to the left of the battery box that has a relay or something has broken clips now, can you get that box separate or does it come as a unit? I didn't look into it much. Anyone have one?

Got the Italian spoiler fitted today. I'm a sucker for a cup spoiler. Fitted well, very hard to paint. The main part painted ok and one end plate but the other just wouldn't after like 6-7 tries by the painter, seemed to be a flaw in the corner. Dad plasti-dipped the endplates and its not to bad but not perfect. Although the guy sent out replacement endplates :smile:
I got 2mm funky foam from a craft shop and double sided tape to stick it to the feet of the spoiler so its like the foam on the genuine one, would recommend this. Makes the little double sided sticky circles that they use to mark the holes work better. It wont stick will to the foam so transfers to the car easily. Wont scratch the car badly either.

The ramair brake ducting hose thing I got for the acoustic valve side of the airbox wont fit and it wont stretch grr. Having a hard time getting a pipe to fit as i don't have an acoustic valve so it just sucks hot air on that side.

Feel like my lights auto level pretty high, going to compare with my Megane tomorrow.

IMG_0326.jpeg

Got belts, pump, dephaser (the whole lot) done last night along with a light weight crank pulley. Definitely feels like it pulls harder :smile: :smile: such a different car now!

A combo of cam sensor, new belts (Proper timing ?) got you there in the end...

Bet it’s transformed it !!

What your plans with the air feed to acoustic valve side of air box ?

I bought some silicon joiners, Aluminium pipe etc - and removed my acoustic valve and routed the pipe work down low behind passenger headlight prior to mapping in an effort to get some fresh air coming in.

That whole sucking in hot air after 5k (And nothing below 5k) never seemed right to me.

A combo of cam sensor, new belts (Proper timing ?) got you there in the end...

Bet it’s transformed it !!

What your plans with the air feed to acoustic valve side of air box ?

I bought some silicon joiners, Aluminium pipe etc - and removed my acoustic valve and routed the pipe work down low behind passenger headlight prior to mapping in an effort to get some fresh air coming in.

That whole sucking in hot air after 5k (And nothing below 5k) never seemed right to me.

I don’t have the acoustic valve atm, so it sucking hot air straight from the box that side. I’m trying to find something to route it down behind the light

Changed the gearbox oil today. Put the fuches sinto stuff in. Got 1.5 litres out and put the 2 litres in as thats what the renault manual says. Doesnt feel much different to be honest. Very smooth low revs. But when on it, its a bit hard to go from 1st to 2nd and maybe 2nd to 3rd the odd time. You just have to be easy with it and let it fall in. Haha, fingers crossed the box will be good for a good while

Reactions: sevenfourate
Changed the gearbox oil today. Put the fuches sinto stuff in. Got 1.5 litres out and put the 2 litres in as thats what the renault manual says. Doesnt feel much different to be honest. Very smooth low revs. But when on it, its a bit hard to go from 1st to 2nd and maybe 2nd to 3rd the odd time. You just have to be easy with it and let it fall in. Haha, fingers crossed the box will be good for a good while

I don’t want to pee on anyone’s chips or be negative - but have to say that from my experience the Fuchs was the worst gearbox oil I tried by quite a margin and did nothing for mine whatsoever. The stock Elf was ‘ok - no more, the Castrol (Syntrax ?) was good and Redline MTL the best by some margin.

Hope this might help in future.

Lol damn. I read loads. Everyone said redline was best then fuches. Redline is so expensive especially because you have to buy a 3rd bottle just for a extra bit

Is the Redline a 946ml bottle or something silly ?

My garage couldn't quite get even 2 in from memory. I think 'most' people just fly two whole bottles in. Not saying thats strictly 100% correct ! But yea - looking back the Fuchs was pretty 'horrific' for me. Others mileage may vary...

Redline is 1 quart. Can’t remember what that is in ml. Mine feels no different really with the fuchs. I did squeeze the 2 litres (minus some spillage lol) in just slightly off level as thats what people said the renault manual says.

Just got the car back today after getting the side fixed. He did a good job on it to be fair to him and I'm quite picky!
Ready for my next sprint tomorrow! Weather looks good this time too!

IMG_0376.jpg

Car went much better this time! Im almost glad it was wet the last time as the people with power couldn't use it, if it was dry I would have been miles behind everyone being down on power.

This time the car felt totally different, I'm still a wee bit slow (to be expected I think anyway), I think I'm losing the time in the middle of the corner, I sort of have to wait until the NS-2R's are ready before getting on throttle or it will push the nose. But some more practice will help!

First practice the car was pushing the nose and I thought I would let it run on out to the curb, but there was puddles of water sitting in the curbs in the morning and big tank slapper haha, thought I was going to be in the grass lol

Sparco sprint L has been delivered for the passenger seat and got some resistors made up for the air bag lights. Hopefully have time to fit some of the powerflex engine mounts on Saturday too!

4C9DB4B6-FFA4-4AD2-B13C-A8ECFE817136.jpeg

0143878E-D45A-4811-9D5E-EB3B9D218F5F.jpeg

Seat installed, sort of disappointed with the quality of the screw holes on these seats. One was a bit messed up and needed a shorter screw on the first seat. We blamed ourselves for messing it up.
This seat was the same on one hole, and we were screwing the screw in by hand being careful because of the other one even before any side-mounts were attached. And it started to damage the end of the thread of the screw.

Torque arm and main engine mount changed to powerflex mounts. Mirrors bounce with vibrations lol. Throttle response feels better! Gearbox mount and lower engine mount arriving this week.

Took isofix bar and some carpets out of the back which added up to 7kg and each seat saved around 10kg.

Someone asked what way i had the airbox pipe work on the right side. Here is a picture of a bit of ducting hose that I am using atm.

1A329430-0A9B-4E4A-880E-EA97FF980C1C.jpeg

BB6B1FAC-231F-4F2A-8016-8214B1D5D213.jpeg

46E8BC9A-242A-43D7-AFA4-1BC76F950851.jpeg

Fitted a sabelt wheel today with OMP boss! (Boss is for 08-12 clios as the 06-08 one didnt fit my 06 clio, weird) With the volantech buttons, looks awesome. Got a TRS cover to keep it good.
Surprising how much heavier the steering is with just a 20mm smaller wheel. This is how it should have felt from the factory, always thought the steering was light compared to my megane.

B25231D7-0CB4-4700-BCE7-3C481CF675EC.jpeg

AE357A32-5533-46D7-9C64-83192E63357E.jpeg

Reactions: Big Ben
The clio got a 3 day detail! Haha

Compound, polish, wax, seal, quick detail!
Along with 5 washes between days and having to drive the car haha

D558FB25-4183-4438-B78D-7F54BD85D78F.jpeg

F001C63A-0322-4481-8D0F-D584721F3628.jpeg

441D7150-2545-4B45-B61C-842D4DC8F1CF.jpeg

Haven’t posted anything in a while.
The car failed MOT because of the bottom balljoint on the swivel hub :worried: couldn’t get any movement in it when hanging on a bar when it was up on the lift. I made sure to check these before MOT as I know people have issues with them at MOT.

I got the upper and lower done on the passenger side when it was apart.

Put new anti rotation links on as the drivers side one was hanging out of it. Haha. Most of the knock has gone from the steering now :smile:

7A3C689E-4320-41DF-AC2A-57AED9B3E457.jpeg

Always thought the car over cooled a little, so I put a new 75 degree thermostat on as everyone seems to have this trouble lol. Not gone for a drive in it yet to see if theres any difference.

E54E67E6-94A1-47A1-A354-455B356D1AB6.jpeg

Also put a front strut brace on, no idea if it will make much difference nut can’t do any harm.

71D8A206-6680-429B-BBDD-35F9BC9B1E84.jpeg

Got some Toyo R888R’s today as the Nankangs just don’t give me the grip that others seem to have with R888R’s.

I got 2 second hand wishbones that I am going to do up, one is already aqua blasted and I plan to do the other and paint them. I’m going to put 2 new balljoints in and powerflex bushes. I’m also going to do the upper and lower balljoint in the swivel hub on the drivers side so everything is new :smiley: