Sprint Hillclimb 197

Finally got the car back from having the full cage. Started stripping the heater out. Not the easiest thing to get out, might have been easier if the dash bar was removed. Also stripped unused wires from the rear of the car. Need to wrap these back up and then start on the front. Anyone recommend loom wrap? Also ordered some firewall blanking plugs from pure motorsport.
Some pics of the mess of wires, needed to move it round the drive which is why the stool is in it lol More awkward than it looks driving a car with a seat thats not bolted down!

IMG_3014.jpeg

IMG_3015.jpeg

IMG_1560.jpeg

I use this to wrap wiring;

Bought some of this and found a place selling rolls of what looks to be similar to the OEM cling type stuff that isn’t sticky. Got some of that too.

Started thinning the loom at the front of the car too. Getting fed up looking at it now lol
IMG_3040.jpeg

Got a new seat as I had very basic cheap uncomfortable sparco sprint seat before, but they got me up and running in the sprints for a good price at the time. Mounted to my new SW motorsport side mount after the issues with the supreme one.
IMG_1572.jpeg

Was wondering how to duct the air from the new heater to the dash. Drew up a duct in CAD with the same input size as the output of the heater and the other side of the duct should match the bottom of the dash.

I had no other way to make something other than to 3D print it. I’m a bit worried about the heat of the air, I printed in PETG and put alu tape on the inside of the duct. I measured the temp of the heater on a friends standard fiesta st and it was 75 degrees down in the vents. PETG should be good to 85 degrees or a bit more so hopefully it wont melt lol
IMG_3188.jpeg
IMG_3189.jpeg

If temperature is a problem, it will be primarily on the neck. You can always not put it to full heat by limiting water flow through the matrix

Reactions: av4625
I’ve thinned as much of the loom as I want to inside the car for now. Wrapped all of it up bar the bits in the center there, need to get final lengths of those when the dash is in.

I got some tesa tape like the comment above and also some tape that isn’t sticky and clings to itself. This is the majority of what I took off and came from the factory. Used the tesa tape in awkward places as its sticky and for the long runs and most of it really I used the clingy stuff.

1 40m roll was all I needed.

IMG_3238.jpeg

You can see the last messy bit in the middle waiting for the dash to get the lengths for where they go. Need to shorten the killswitch cables now there is less in the way.

IMG_3247.jpeg

Printed new panels for the dash for switches etc.

Do you know what the car currently weighs in at?
Last time I weighed it, it was 1260kg with me in it and half a tank of fuel.

Since then I have stripped 20kg-30kg (maybe a bit more), but added the front part of the cage.

I will also be running with one seat now so will save another 10kg’s ish, and my new seat is a bit lighter. Id hope its not a lot over 1200kg with me in it now in race trim with 1 seat.

Edit: I’m about 75kg for what its worth

Last edited:
Finally got the heater plumbed, wired and ducting attached.

Got some pipe reducers from T7 Designs and attached them to a blanking for the original heater pipes.

The duct I made to go under the dash to go from round to rectangle seems to work well too.

Dash is back in now and the drivers seat and all the wiring is wrapped and tidied. (Forgot to get pictures of this) Just a few things to tidy up now, like the wee panel with traction control button and some of the electronics boxes I made like the one that turns the traction control off automatically for you every start.

Over the xmas holidays it should be totally finished and ready to be logged, would like to do a track day before doing the first hill.

The amount of time all this fiddley stuff takes to do is crazy, I've spent days at the car this last while and it doesn't look like I have much to show for it lol

IMG_3263.jpeg

IMG_3265.jpeg

IMG_3266.jpeg

IMG_3268.jpeg

Last edited:
looks great did you re-use any of the existing heater wiring or just tap in to the power and ground fresh with a switch?

looks great did you re-use any of the existing heater wiring or just tap in to the power and ground fresh with a switch?
I bought a small fuse box that has 6 fuses. Its cool cause each fuse has a LED. If the fuse breaks the LED comes on.

I took power to it from an existing wire that gets power when the ignition is on. Then ran the heater/switch with one of the fuses from that.

The existing heater wiring is removed. It used quite heavy wiring.

I noticed the quick release made it easier to get in and out with the cage. With there being one seat now there was no where to put the wheel when you take it off. Designed and printed a hook for it! (There is a second seat in the picture, but its just sitting there for somewhere to store it to get it out of the house :tearsofjoy:)
IMG_3324.jpeg
IMG_3327.jpeg

Where you get them from as I’m after a set

This is where I got mine. He even got the correct logo (I was fussy and wanted the older Renault font too) before I could send it to him. So if you just message him with my pic he will be able to do more.
Hopefully not from that guy on cliosport.net trying to sell a set second hand for 100 quid :openmouth:
Whao. Mine were £25 posted!
saw some on Amazon for £60 nearly fell off my
Chair but £100 jeez
Saw these too and it was 2 white plates.