S22's RB 200 Progress Diary *loads of new pics 10/07/12*

Hi All

Joined 200.net last week and paid up yesterday :clap:

Bit of background, about 3 years ago i bought myself a 172 in silver, and caught the bug big time. At the time i was doing alot of motorsport photography for magazines such as autosport etc, and spent alot of my time at touring car and clio racer days as this is what i class as real racing.

It didnt take long for my 172 to have work done, and she made her second home at Mark Fish Motorsports garage. Mark is a fantastic guy, and has to be one of, if not the best mechanic when it comes to FWD cars.

She had a short life of 9 months with me, as the direction i went in got far too expensive. At the time of selling it was only really short of the sequential gearbox of being a full cup racer.

The last 3 years i have spent chopping and changing cars for economy reasons, but while looking for a BMW 320D the other week i test drove a 200FF and fell in love. Needless to say she is now on my driveway.

I plan on being slightly more reserved with this one. trackdays are a thing of the past for me. I dont have the time for prep, and i dont really have the funds for it to spend most of its time up at Marks.

I do however have a plan. Due to my love of touring cars and clio cup racers, i want to have the car resemble a cup racer.

With this, i am planning on doing the following:
-Change the dampers to cup dampers
-H&R 30/30 lowering springs
-Cup racer 8J wheels
-Cup racer rear spoiler

I know some people will say coilovers. But i had these before, and while they were fantastic on track, with the way road laws are these days, i found them very overkill for road driving.
Also taking into account the cup racers run bilstein standard dampers with H&R springs, this setup clearly works, which to me says the cost of coilovers is a non justifyable one.

Ill keep this update with all the little bits i do, along with the bigger bits above.

And of course ill update with pics after the car has visited KDS detailing who are 5 minutes from me :clap:

The end result should be an agressive, yet subtle road going cup racer look.

Last edited:
+1 and welcome btw what colour did you go for

Lol, I think that would be RB....

Not the Op's but as you asked for photos, here is one of mine

picture.php

that sounds like a plan mate, nice one:smile: Be aware though, the cup racer suspension set up is different than the one you are going for. The cup dampers are not the same to the bilstein ones (cup racers), same for the H&R springs. You say that this set up works but again, this setup was designed for the smooth tracks and not for the road.

By the way I'm running 200 cup dampers with 30/30 H&R springs and I'm not happy. On smooth roads (1/1000 of the UK roads) this setup is nice but take it for a blast on B roads and the car jumps like a rabbit, let alone the crashy ride. That's why most people go for coilovers, you get the best of both worlds but you pay for it:smile: Hope that helps.

that sounds like a plan mate, nice one:smile: Be aware though, the cup racer suspension set up is different than the one you are going for. The cup dampers are not the same to the bilstein ones (cup racers), same for the H&R springs. You say that this set up works but again, this setup was designed for the smooth tracks and not for the road.

By the way I'm running 200 cup dampers with 30/30 H&R springs and I'm not happy. On smooth roads (1/1000 of the UK roads) this setup is nice but take it for a blast on B roads and the car jumps like a rabbit, let alone the crashy ride. That's why most people go for coilovers, you get the best of both worlds but you pay for it:smile: Hope that helps.

nah i know the cup racer setup is slightly different.. what i meant was they dont run coilovers.

Im slightly undecided on the cup dampers. the 200ff shocks are ok. still pretty stiff compared to a normal road car.

It may be that the H&R springs and the FF shocks is the way to go

When you say it hops, do you mean it just gets a bit unsettled with the bumps, or it turns rather bouncy?

I could really do with having a ride in someones that has this setup. I see ure only in london :wink:

little update

Ive managed to speak to a few people who have the cup dampers with the H&R springs, and they say its too much.

I think its likely that this will be on standard shocks and the money spent elsewhere

So things finally seem to be moving on this one.

Picked up my RenaultSport floor mats today. £60, but they are pretty nice really.

Cup dampers have been paid for and will be collected on wednesday when the car is in Renault for replacement door rubbers.

H&R springs ordered and should be here next week some time.

And hopefully will have the white cup racer wheels next week too.

I may even post a little picture of the mats once they are in

Picked up my RenaultSport floor mats today. £60, but they are pretty nice really.

Cup dampers have been paid for and will be collected on wednesday when the car is in Renault for replacement door rubbers.

They are currently sporting a nice brown sorta look lol.

Tried to washed 'em before wrapping them up but the weather just never worked out.

hmmmm so my mrs pays for the new shiny shocks and springs, while i buy the bits that need cleaning. I think somehting is wrong there lol No doubt im gonna be the one doing all the fitting of parts as well :thumb1:

You have pm mate.

So you are going for cup dampers with the H & R's then?

If I do anything I will be sticking to the full fat dampers thats for sure!!!!