No wonder everyone Selling Up

get a quote off bell and elephant then get admiral to match it, as admiral owns both bell and elephant so they match and usually better there quote!

Roy, have you tried Sky Insurance in the traders section yet? Discount for members :wink:

lol would bother with sky, wait 30 mins on the phone to be told your fantastic new quote is £4500 ... but dont forget, you get a discount of 10% so its really competative. Not! :scared:

lol would bother with sky, wait 30 mins on the phone to be told your fantastic new quote is £4500 ... but dont forget, you get a discount of 10% so its really competative. Not! :scared:

LOL!!! Agree, totally!!!!!

If you haven't already done so, experiment with putting additional drivers on the policy, with a clean history and over 25 and remove people who increase the premium. I'm 30 and my partner, who is 28, dropped my price from £750 to £550 and that's with zero NCB's on the the 197 (I have a daily). She also owns her own car which further helps and I therefore have access to two other cars. The insurers see it as a reduced risk this way. Also don't presume parking on the drive or garage means less risk (and lower cost), I stated I park mines in the street and the cost dropped further. My excess is £250.

The big reason behind the rise in insurance is the scummy Accident Claims companies encouraging everyone to put in injury claims, and many are fraudulent. Here's a typical link, there are many on this subject:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2011/04/insurance_premiums.html
An example of how low these guys go is when your local bus company hits the brakes a little too hard which apparently causes whiplash injuries to all on board. They actively encourage claiming for this kind of crap on their websites, these types of expensive claims occur every single day. Here's a typical claims companies "advice" page: http://www.theclaimsconnection.co.uk/bus-passenger-accident.html These costs are all passed on to us.

Also car insurance is the WORST insurance game to be in profit wise. For every £1 going in most of it goes straight back out in payouts:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance
  • Car Insurance: 78%
  • Home Insurance: 54%
  • Mortgage PPI: 28%
  • Personal Loan PPI: 15%
  • Credit Card PPI: 11%

As you can see the banks are in the best area. The insurers only see a tiny portion of the PPI profit (often mis-sold to customers as the article highlights), the banks pocket the vast majority. No surprises there tbh.

Another interesting development was mentioned to me by a mate who is an assessor for Aviva regarding the damage sustained by new cars due to modern designs in crumple zones etc. Relatively light damage to the can now amount to a write off.

Coupled with insane petrol prices it's no wonder folks are selling up thier sports cars.

Tbh, you can't really recommend an insurance comany based on price, as the addresses make so much difference. You can only really recommend by customer service.

Tbh, you can't really recommend an insurance comany based on price, as the addresses make so much difference. You can only really recommend by customer service.
In my experience they're all **** on customer service.

Get the cheapest and don't crash - none of them like to pay out !

And if you do crash - grab your neck and roll about on the floor like you've been hit with a sledge hammer and get onto one of those claims for you websites above.

If can't beat them - join them :smiley:

I couldn't stop laughing when I got there quote as you say 45 mins for him to say oh we can't get any where near that price. Then another 5 mins to actually get him to tell me the price of £1001 - 10% joke

If you haven't already done so, experiment with putting additional drivers on the policy.

I was about to suggest exactly this. Mine went from £420 to £350 by adding my Mum. That's with eSure. With my previous insurer - Hastings, it made no difference. Note that this is adding them on with you still as the policyholder, not the illegal practice of you being named with them as the policyholder.

My brother's went down from £707 to £578 by adding both his girlfriend and myself on it, yet with another insurer adding one driver on (either me or her) took it down by £100, but adding both raised it up by £200.

You want to be adding someone who's a lower risk, so your mother or even just somebody you know, they'll never be driving the car so it doesn't really matter.

Getting married helps too (show responsibility which lessens risk) but I wouldn't get married just to save on your insurance!

Finally use a cashback site - I got £20 cashback through Quidco from eSure, so that's me done for this year for £330. :smiley:

Getting married helps too (show responsibility which lessens risk) but I wouldn't get married just to save on your insurance!

Lol! The cost of the wedding would probably out weigh the higher cost of the insurance! ha ha!

My wife is on there anyway 30 years to be exact
No bugger else to put on lol

update
hastings direct through Quidco £324+£45 cash back+half price MOT
£279 SORTED

Got my renewal come through on saturday from elephant at £1400. I litterally just got off the phone from the lovely Nicole at Elephant who spoke to her manager and instantly brought the price down to £830 :smile:

Telling them your going to leave ftw

I need to do this again soon, will need business cover on my policy but apparently the underwriter can't add this to my current policy?!