LY200 - too loud or blow up again, taking bets!

A little bit more woe today, the new 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter arrived and that works fine in maintaining the correct pinning from 3.5mm to its 2.5mm end. However I still couldn't talk to the ECU.

Decided to take apart the actual USB CAN interface that the 2.5mm plug goes into. On checking how that was pinned, it also seemed like the plug was merging the CAN Hi and Low signal - so bugger it I de-soldered it from the PCB, cut the 3.5mm plug off the main lead and soldered the bloody wires direct to the PCB...had a 50% chance of getting the CAN Hi and Low around the right way on the first attempt, but success - I was at last connected to the ECU!!

Right, so lets load the firmware...follow the steps (very simple), the software tells me firmware loaded successfully.......but can I connect to the ECU any more....can I fuck! The AiM is also not seeing any CAN data either now. So is the ECU bricked???
Suffice to say a call Monday morning to SCS and no doubt will need to send the ECU back. To be honest I regret massively getting this ECU, I wish in hindsight I had gone for something like a DTA S60 and just run a whole new dash, AiM MXG which would also combine my EVO4S logging etc too.

Reactions: lewishunter98
Damn I was hoping to run an scs delta ecu!

Looks like it go back to talking to ecu master on their black ecu.

Keep us updated on what they say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn I was hoping to run an scs delta ecu!

Looks like it go back to talking to ecu master on their black ecu.

Keep us updated on what they say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbh and on reflection (and I was fuming yesterday when the firmware upload seemed to brick it) - my thoughts are probably more indicative to the whole situation of everything that's transpired since getting the ECU, rather than the ECU in isolation. No doubt probably be saying similar had I bought a DTA initially and lost a couple of engines on it!

I am also pretty sure that having been through the ECU maps with Steve last week - that the reason for the failed engines is the compensation maps now (as I suspected for a while). The air temp comp table is currently set for leaning fuel off at very high temps, now as the air temp increases the charge is less dense so on the face of it that makes sense - however you should be using more fuel to cool the charge is the safe thing to do! And when the cr is up at 12.5:1 you have no safety net pretty much without being on race fuel anyway :worried:

Anyway I have got everything working now :smiley: the upload must have failed but you can apparently still force an upload by fixing the CAN speed and trying again. Anyway followed the corrective procedure and re-uploaded the firmware, CAN data back to being displayed on the AiM, I can navigate around the software screens without relays going ape shit now, and I can save and mess around with no problems.
When I have more time tomorrow I'll get it started up and mess for longer, but touch wood - we're sorted!!!

All this for a bit of firmware and a dodgy lead. So very pleased with my fix here after all and saved £100 odd for another CAN interface :smile:

can-lead.jpg

Not been plain sailing last few days - the car wouldn't start on the new firmware! Long story short there was a change to the crank signal code in the ECU, and because I have a TTV steel flywheel that has probably got slight machining variance compared to an OEM flywheel, the changes in the newer firmwares meant it couldn't sync the with the crank sensor.

SCS have complied a newer firmware now using the original crank code, and now it's starting. To be fair to SCS they are always excellent in their support - they emailed me the new firmware at 9:30pm the same day we'd established it was a code issue.

So ready to book mapping (I think :grimacing:!) which I'll try and get arranged tomorrow.

Not been plain sailing last few days - the car wouldn't start on the new firmware! Long story short there was a change to the crank signal code in the ECU, and because I have a TTV steel flywheel that has probably got slight machining variance compared to an OEM flywheel, the changes in the newer firmwares meant it couldn't sync the with the crank sensor.

SCS have complied a newer firmware now using the original crank code, and now it's starting. To be fair to SCS they are always excellent in their support - they emailed me the new firmware at 9:30pm the same day we'd established it was a code issue.

So ready to book mapping (I think :grimacing:!) which I'll try and get arranged tomorrow.
So happy you've given this another shot! Fingers crossed for you mate

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Cheers, proper nervous something else will go wrong mind!! It almost feels like it was too easy getting it working, firmware and a new cable....I must have missed something right! lol

What a bloody rollercoaster Rich, this car has been a proper PITA!
I'm glad you sorted it, most of us would have just broke it for bits and got something else and be done with it, but you have done so well to hold it together and get the composure to just crack on and fix it!

It's gonna be so great once mapped and ready to use, fingers crossed mate!
I hope you did complain to Track and Road about the cable etc, as like you said luckily you had one, otherwise it would have been a wasted trip and you wouldn't have found all these problems you have now sorted!

All the best, I cannot wait to hear the dyno vid with those trumpets blaring!

Last edited:
Good on you for pushing through. I would have given up by now.

Keep up the good work and hope it all goes smoothly

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TB Rich
What a bloody rollercoaster Rich, this car has been a proper PITA!
I'm glad you sorted it, most of us would have just broke it for bits and got something else and be done with it, but you have done so well to hold it together and get the composure to just crack on and fix it!

It's gonna be so great once mapped and ready to use, fingers crossed mate!
I hope you did complain to EFI about the cable etc, as like you said luckily you had one, otherwise it would have been a wasted trip and you wouldn't have found all these problems you have now sorted!

All the best, I cannot wait to hear the dyno vid with those trumpets blaring!

Indeed it has!! Just better be worth it in the long run heh! :tired:

Oh it wasn't EFI that didn't have the cable, I took it to Track n Road - I'm only just pointing that out as potentially others will read this.
I'll still go back to TnR, they do Caterhams and Mountunes mapping apparently and do have a good rep - I just think perhaps not quite as familiar with SCS ECU's as they are with others.
Ray West is my closest 'expert', he mapped my last engine...but given how I stressed it needs to be safe etc, and yet I'm now discovering the comp tables were just trash, I'd not go back there obviously! I remember at the time doing a map compare between my first map (done by SCS themselves) and his - noticing bugger all other than the base fuel, ign, and vvt maps changing. But I of course assumed that meant the comp table maps must have been fine (christ I paid him enough!!), que forward 3 sodding years and many £'s later, and no, no they weren't!!! :rage:
So pretty much if the comp tables had been done properly first time around there is a good chance I'd still be on that first forged engine and I'd be far far better off as a result! :worried:

Thing is once it's up and drivable, it does afford me some flexibility to go further afield, so potentially later I would look at EFI for any fine tuning given how well they know Clios etc. - for now I just can't be arsed to go from right on the South Coast up to Liverpool with a transporter, be one if not two nights and lets be honest I'd probably come home from that with something else having gone wrong :tearsofjoy:

Sorry I dunno why I thought it was EFI! I have edited my post now so it doesn't say them, as like you said last thing you want is them getting bad rep for something they weren't even involved in!

Yeah I'm with you now, that makes total sense! When do you have it booked in again?

I've got a similar issue with needing to get mine mapped. I don't know where to go [emoji23] Also being South coast I'd like to drive up to RStuning or EFI but it's easy a 4 hour drive each way and no chance am I doing that in one day.

I think I'll be going to engine dynamics

Wednesday 19th at 1pm...! Gotta sort a days leave and transporter hire next week but hopefully that date won't change.

Lewis, yeah I'd think ED given where you are. They've been doing the mk3 ECU for about 4 years now, I know my first forged engine was basically the first mk3 they did, but been lots of people off this forum and the FB ones with decent results from them. Ignoring the numbers because all dynos read different, the claims from the before and after on ED remaps from what I recall always looks correct and in line with what you would expect from RS or EFI.

Wednesday 19th at 1pm...! Gotta sort a days leave and transporter hire next week but hopefully that date won't change.

Lewis, yeah I'd think ED given where you are. They've been doing the mk3 ECU for about 4 years now, I know my first forged engine was basically the first mk3 they did, but been lots of people off this forum and the FB ones with decent results from them. Ignoring the numbers because all dynos read different, the claims from the before and after on ED remaps from what I recall always looks correct and in line with what you would expect from RS or EFI.
Not too long a wait! I hope it's better this time around [emoji846]

Yeah exactly! I'm not toooo fussed on figures really, I've not done anything major to expect good ones anyway, I just want the car to pull better from low down

Reactions: TB Rich
Good luck for the dyno day Rich, hopefully it’s trouble free and see some nice results.

Yeah figures are always a highly debated topic however A nice smooth graph is always overlooked

Hay Rich,
How did today go?

Pez

Good mate thanks, if you can believe it!!!

220bhp/171ftlb - that was whilst very hot after mapping so your typical power run shootout on a much cooler engine etc would have a few more on top. Also the T'n'R dyno is spot on, so it'll make 220 anywhere basically (I can think of a place or 2 it'd probably read 230! haha) - all in all, a bloody good result!

Can't drive it yet til I get an MOT on it though! Only a couple of bits to sort for that (horn and a 'suitable' exhaust) - then I can get the datalogger wiring sorted finally :smile:

Good mate thanks, if you can believe it!!!

220bhp/171ftlb - that was whilst very hot after mapping so your typical power run shootout on a much cooler engine etc would have a few more on top. Also the T'n'R dyno is spot on, so it'll make 220 anywhere basically (I can think of a place or 2 it'd probably read 230! haha) - all in all, a bloody good result!

Can't drive it yet til I get an MOT on it though! Only a couple of bits to sort for that (horn and a 'suitable' exhaust) - then I can get the datalogger wiring sorted finally :smile:

Yes!

Happy for you mate! Sounds unreal that too! Revved out like it was nothing!

Happy with it?

Reactions: suj

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cliosport-carl Spotted 0
Zeezal Projects/Progress Threads 7
tkoh12 Clios For Sale 0
CL10 PAZ Spotted 0
tkoh12 Spotted 0