Lol, This is the kinda people that make me not want a VX!

The problem with VXRs no-a-days is that they are now going very cheap second hand. Which means that any old scummy barsteward can get a hold of them. Its the same with any cheap fast car, the idiots will love them.

The annoying thing is, I'm now beginning to see this "problem" with 197/200s. Parents will buy their kids whatever they want.

The problem with VXRs no-a-days is that they are now going very cheap second hand. Which means that any old scummy barsteward can get a hold of them. Its the same with any cheap fast car, the idiots will love them.

The annoying thing is, I'm now beginning to see this "problem" with 197/200s. Parents will buy their kids whatever they want.

I understand what you mean, there is quite a few nuggets around my area buying LY R27's and its depressing because i can count 4 out of 5 of them in my area is near fuc*ed!!

Also around here there are people getting Corsa VXR's, Mini Cooper S and BMW 1 series as their first car! One guy got a 135i a month after passing his test (to be fair he has only works 11 weeks a year and earns a 6 figure salary).

But its ashame because i like the Astra VXR's but it just puts me off!

The Corsa & Astra VXR's have always had a chav image and that's exactly why I have never even considered one.

TBH I think it's a fair generalisation too, all the ones around here tend to be driven by cocks. When I had my mk2 RS I had no end of chav's in VXR's trying it on.

theres been a few "i had a go with" "i had a play with" on here

to be honest as far as i am concerned the threads should be deleted - its all meaningless unless its on a track where BOTH drivers can drive 100%

Ha ha, any excuse to slag off the opposition a? Lol! I like the guy who says about it being cose in a straight line, but meggy would leave it in the twisties, sounds like he might be the sensible one!

theres been a few "i had a go with" "i had a play with" on here

to be honest as far as i am concerned the threads should be deleted - its all meaningless unless its on a track where BOTH drivers can drive 100%

+1.

I've noticed a few of these lately. And to be honest I couldn't give a sh!t what somebody has ''smoked'' or how their dads mates cousin in his V8 Vantage got ''pwned!!11!!'' or how many leptons an hour they can make their Clio go or how sideways they can go before the inevitable impact happens...

As a matter of course I think threads like this should be deleted, purely because it's this sort of thing that gives our car a nobhead image which will eventually hit resale values, insurance premuims and people generally frowning on us because ''they know a lad with a 197/200 and he drives like a c#nt, they all do'' blah blah blah. It's one thing saying you had a play on track, or you had a nice blast out with the lads etc., but threads bragging about racing or ''do-ing'' people just attract the wrong crowd and build a bad image of us ALL.

I saw it happen when I had a 106 Rallye, values dropped as did the standard of owner. Then, somebody got killed on a test drive. It got in the paper, 106 Rallye owners were suddenly all w@nkers. Luckily this was about a year after I'd sold mine, but a lot of the old members on that particular forum aren't on there anymore which says it all really.

Most cars eventually become affordable to most people. And unfortunately there's a lot of idiots, generally young lads with disposable income, who feel they have something to prove to their mates who have less disposable income and a slower/cheaper car.

I'm only 25 myself, this is my 6th car, not one of them has had less than 100HP, I've had a few points, I've been lucky enough to never have crashed *touch wood* and I drive for a living. I consider myself to be competant behind the wheel but I respect my limits and the conditions. A good 95% of the people on here seem to be of a similar mindset which is why I like the site so much, it'd be a shame if it started to go down hill over the next few years because threads like that one on the VXR site started popping up on here...

Rant over. Tuppence worth spent. :smiley:

Last edited:
I remember hearing about that chap that got killed in test drive, rallye register by any chance??
I used to go on 106oc alot, not anymore though, my god full of chavs!

Anyway, there will be alot of people coming on here I suspect, especially as to buy second hand there getting cheaper and cheaper by the day!

Last edited:
Yeah, was on RR mate. I still have a peek on there every now and then as there's usually some interesting builds going on, but it's not what is was and a lot of the old crowd have moved on now. I stayed on there after I got rid of my Rallye and got my 205GTi, but in the space of about 12 months it just changed so much. More and more members by the week, more and more threads asking the same question etc., and then more and more threads about people having issues with their cars. Which I would assume to be because of ill-treatment as they're a pretty solid car the 106.

From what I can gather about the crash, it was a young lad from Saxperience (20ish I think) and he'd gone to look at a S2 Rallye (Blue, pictures were all over the papers)... The lad who owned the Rallye had driven it on the test drive and wrapped up in a big way, hitting a parked car sideways at (Police estimate) 60MPH. Absolute tragedy. The driver was injured too as far as I remember but nothing serious and is now in jail after a lengthy trial.

I think at the moment the 172/182s are more in danger of getting a bad reputation was early ones are mega cheaper now. I've seen plenty of 172s for sale under the £1000 mark... I think the 197s are JUST starting to fall into the ''lad lives at home with parents, half-decent job and a few years no claims, most of his mates still at Uni/College and still driving rapid 1.4s'' category now, which is what the Civic Type-R fell into about 3 years ago. And they've got a bit of a reputation now already...

Last edited:
lad lives at home with parents, half-decent job and a few years no claims, most of his mates still at Uni/College

HAHA sounds like me :wink:

I do still have a peak on RR!

All seriousness though, I do think it happens to most cars, if there fast and cheap!

I agree with most the comments regarding the car will start to get a bad image, but i also feel it has an effect on people such as me, I am as described above ''lad lives at home with parents, half-decent job and a few years no claims, most of his mates still at Uni/College and still driving 1.4s'' which is me (hitting the nail on the head) but that doenst mean anything reagards how I drive im not the sort of person who does drive like a noob.

Im quite happy cruising not bruisin :hug:. Slower you got the more people see you IMO. I simply bought the car to have something to show for my well earned money and for that reason im not going to drive it like a c0ck and wrap it round a tree !!

To some up, Im a young lad (19) who has worked / saved hard and has managed to buy himself a nice car and get insured on it. I think its a shame all young people are branded the same because of some D*c*s who post things like that on the VX forum.

Just to clarify, this isnt / wasnt ment to sound like a back lash at older driver so please dont slate :worried:

^^^ Likewise, me saying it like I did isn't a dig at anybody... I'm not exactly old (25) and I've always had quick cars since I started driving and paid through the roof for insurance and all the rest of it. It's not ALL young lads, but with a nice car often comes a lot of bravado, a mate of mine (25) has a Civic Type-R (funnily enough) which he got when he was 20... He used to drive like a right tw@t, he'd try and race everything from the lights, constantly be in 2nd gear to get the VTEC YO! going and all that...

Last year, after 4 years of abuse, the engine went bang. He killed a HONDA engine. By then he'd move out of his parents, settled down a bit and all the rest of it (Fireman now) but no doubt the abuse he'd given the car over the previous 4 years had attributed to the engine dying. Now he drives like a saint on the road and wants to get into trackdays hahaha!!!

All young lads WILL get tarred with the same brush unfortunately, we always have done. To insurers and the nosey old bat down the road, we're all the same as the idiot with the 5" exhaust. Young lad, nice car, too much money, drives like his pants are on fire. Doesn't bother me when people in other cars do it, but if the 197/200 eventually gets a reputation like that because of an idiot minority then it'll tar me and the other sensible 197/200 owners with the same brush which will be a shame because from the other owners I've met it's not representative of us as a group at all.

Look at Impreza drivers... My dad is 54, on his third Impreza. He never gets lads 25-30 trying to race him in decent cars. It's always either late teens in souped up Saxos/Corsas or reps with Little D!ck Syndrome in their generic German ''Fun Box''. In all honesty, it is funny when you do leave somebody like that for dead and we've all done it, but it's always more fun on track where there's no speed cameras or bilnd old women waiting to pull out infront of you. :smiley:

Last edited:
I agree with most the comments regarding the car will start to get a bad image, but i also feel it has an effect on people such as me, I am as described above ''lad lives at home with parents, half-decent job and a few years no claims, most of his mates still at Uni/College and still driving 1.4s'' which is me (hitting the nail on the head) but that doenst mean anything reagards how I drive im not the sort of person who does drive like a noob.

Im quite happy cruising not bruisin :hug:. Slower you got the more people see you IMO. I simply bought the car to have something to show for my well earned money and for that reason im not going to drive it like a c0ck and wrap it round a tree !!

To some up, Im a young lad (19) who has worked / saved hard and has managed to buy himself a nice car and get insured on it. I think its a shame all young people are branded the same because of some D*c*s who post things like that on the VX forum.

Just to clarify, this isnt / wasnt ment to sound like a back lash at older driver so please dont slate :worried:

I agree with this.. I bought my R27 a few weeks after i was 19. I worked 3 years non stop to save up for it with a lot of over time (paid it in cash) and iv done roughly 10k in 2 years and hate the stereotypical young fast car boy racer thing as im more mature than a lot of the guys i come across on the road. I never race as said in my original post iv just had a few plays but it was racing and it wasn't dangerous just normal driving with a bit of fun within the law.

I hate to see the day all the chavs are 'hittin' the limiter in first gear' in a R27 just like how most of the 1*2's are getting treated now a days.

My point of the original post was just to show this is what puts me off buying certain manufacturers due to the some of the people that ruin their image. Its ashame.

I don't drive like a saint. But I don't think I drive like an idiot. I believe there is a time and lace for everything. I've been in the car with my one mate who is an utter nutter! Lol! But ye, all young lads get treated the same.

It is only some, yeah, there are a few good replies on the VXR site to be honest. But the general public don't look at it as some unfortunately. And with stuff like that on their forums, the VXR community isn't really helping to dispell the opinions. There's 3 Corsas local to me, 2 of which are driven badly and have a reputation amongst the other car people near me.

Don't get me wrong, I love nothing more than finding a nice road somewhere and pressing on a bit, but I'd never race or encourage another person to race me on the road. On track, within reason, it's possible to have a ''bit of a play'' if you give each other room and don't make it too obvious to the marshalls etc.. What I've found fun on trackdays is finding somebody quicker than me and having a chat in the paddock and then trying to ''follow their lines'' for a few laps when we're next out together. When it's somebody with more experience it's quite rewarding when you can keep a consistent gap to them.

Last edited:
Such a shame really. I love the astra now too, and round where we are there are no knob ends driving them.

I'm glad there were some sensible replies in that thread too. Especially one about the twisties :wink:

But unfortunately on EVERY site, there will be some with the 'let's race everything's attitude. Even here!!!

Willis, I take it you knew Gav Collier? Or knew of him? Poor Gav :':smile:':smile:'(