How low is too low?

Hi Guys

Does the 197 reach a point when lowering where it actually becomes more detrimental to the handling than positive?

Thanks

Pete

Only when its on the floor lol!

Have a look at the cup racers they look amazing!

mines low pete but still handles fine.
also look at simoxmino.

mines on V1's all the way down at the rear but over an inch on the front.
H&R coils will go lower on the rear.

This is awesome news!

I had my R32 quit low but not too low as the mk golfs actually begin to handle worse once you start winding down due to the suspension design,

Ill look inot the H&R's then,

Pete

yes too low will spoil handling. You will get more bump steer if its low. You will lose damper travel and hit the bump stops quickly and also have to have the compression high so that it doesnt bottom out. With high compression it may feel good as the ride will be stiff but the wheel will struggle to stay in contact with the road and skip all over the place. The cup cars have different suspension units different top mounts for different geometry and are also tuned for bump steer.

Which is everything that I experienced when I put the H&R's on my R27, even though they were fine on my mates non Cup 197.

What are you going for on yours?

The springs. I know Kev gets on with his, but the roads down here are shocking and it was all over the place. Great on decent roads though

What difference did you see moving to the KW's from the H&R springs?

PS - How do I pay you for membership?

tbh i think the coilovers are more comfortable than the springs.

if you want really low then your going to need fully adjustable to get the best ride quality possible.

yes too low will spoil handling. You will get more bump steer if its low. You will lose damper travel and hit the bump stops quickly and also have to have the compression high so that it doesnt bottom out. With high compression it may feel good as the ride will be stiff but the wheel will struggle to stay in contact with the road and skip all over the place. The cup cars have different suspension units different top mounts for different geometry and are also tuned for bump steer.

This....

The springs. I know Kev gets on with his, but the roads down here are shocking and it was all over the place. Great on decent roads though

What difference did you see moving to the KW's from the H&R springs?

PS - How do I pay you for membership?

I get on with em pal but as with you..they are harsh!! But then so is ripping out all your interior and stuff... most wouldnt do it :wink:

adjustable is only adjustable within a range. Bump steer etc cant be tuned out. Uprating springs without doing the shocks isnt great as you end up with the shock taking the load before the spring does as they are unmatched.

I also think the kw stuff sounds quite soft spring wise. You can stiffen it up by adjustment but you run the risk of almost unmatching the springs again as the dampers will be rock hard and the springs soft again meaning the car will skip around. I am having the standard springs tested and will post a thread when i get the results giving the differences between kw h&r and standard.

I'm asuming that being slammed is ok on a smooth track though? From looking at the cup racers,

getting the tests done sounds great, from what I understand the only problem with the shocks taking the load isvthat they'll wear out faster?

Pete

on full adjustable coilovers you can set the rebound on them as well as the hight.
they wouldnt make coilovers so you could wind them down 3" if the shockers couldnt take it.

On fully adjustable coilovers the stiffer you set them the lower they sit.

If i was to go set mine up fully hard and then take it round the block to settle the suspension it'd drop a couple inches easy! With never needing the adjust the spring collar.