Is my budget too low?

Adsy9

Paid Member
Hi,

I’m looking at purchasing a 197, but feel like asking prices massively differ at the moment. And need some wider knowledge to see if I’m asking too much.

Am I asking too much for around £4k for a 197 which my ideal car would have under 100k miles, but flexible around this, decent service history( just regular oil changes at a minimum) and at least some proof the cambelt has been replaced, even if it is 4/5 years ago?

I’ve only managed to find one nice example of the above which is a 2009 white lux mode(although leather seats have been replaced with fabric - which I don’t mind) and belts are due next year. But thought I may have found a few other examples.

Am I asking to much for my budget?

I think that's more than enough budget.
Your problem is over keen sellers I think.

For 4k I would expect to be able to get something which at least the belts done, if not the gearbox too.

Mileage is definitely going to work against you as they're getting quite leggy now, but I certainly wouldn't let it put you off. There's loads of us who've used them on track for many years at the higher mileages.

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it!

Mileage is definitely not a deal breaker, more of a nice to have if it’s lower than 100k for now. My first car being a 2003 1.4 about 8 years ago which had 150k miles on and mechanically wise ran very well. I know they aren’t such a fragile engine :smile:

I've seen some really nice 197's for sale for around the £4k mark. I'm sure if you're patient enough one will will turn up sooner or later.

This is for sale at just over £4k but with a bit of clever negotiating I'm sure £4k is achievable...

I see loads pop up FS on the Facebook groups I'm in. "RS 197/200", "Clio 197/200/200T.net" and "Clio Sport sales & parts UK".

Personally I think for the age of these cars you need to remember even a 100K mile car has done less than average mileage so providing it's been looked after no reason why it should be problematic.

Thanks all for the replies around this, funnily enough I was speaking to 2 of those on eBay who said they would rather see how the bidding went than consider an offer at £4k, for both to be sold for less than £4k! I ended up buying an ultra red 197 with cambelt recently done and fully stamped service book on 94k miles, and with recaros(although very much need reupholstering) for £4k last weekend.