Projector headlights pointing too low

Hi all, my first post on here. Have been a regular member on a few forums, mainly vx220.org and ph. Have had my 197 for a year and recently the projector headlights have started going to sleep. They will be absolutely fine, self leveling as they should and then they will just start to point down in their lowest setting. I've had various cars with self leveling xenons and this isnt just the sharp cut off that some people complain off, they're pointing at the ground to the point that they don't illuminate road signs. Then they'll wake up, do the little up and down procedure they do at statup and be fine again. Is this a commomn fault and could anyone point me in the direction of a fix? Cheers.

Hi, I have got a similar issue - the lights are pointing so low that its f=dangerous to drive. When the lights are turned on, they do not do the level up-down thing. I have headlight washers and no manual height adjustment wheel to the right of the steering wheel; I assume therefore I have self-levelling Xenons.
Are they supposed to do the up-down check when they are turned on? Can anybody help me find the problem please? The link directly above this post doesn't work any more.
Many thanks

Last edited:
I bought a set of projectors from eBay. And the electric adjuster motor had separated from the lens assembly. Maybe the same has happened to yours?

Thanks that’s a good steer. The bumper is coming off this weekend. I’ll make sure we have power to the motors and that the motor is connected to the light adjustment with the plastic push-fit attachment.
Thanks again

Hi RSRowe
I took the bumper off, removed the headlights and found the plastic connectors that attach to the motor were just jammed in there and not connected properly. One of the headlamps swivel units has completely snapped (probably due to the incorrect fitting) and will there for have to be replaced. At least they are adjusted higher for the short-term though thanks.
I still can’t get the motors to work; do they do the up/down adjustment thing when you turn the lights on?
Thanks again
Naunton

Pretty sure they don’t. But my car originally had Halogen reflector units... not sure if that makes a difference

I am pretty sure it was only Xenon's that did that, as they have auto-levelling sensors (normally mounted to the arms), projectors didn't, so they won't move up and down when you turn them on.

You only have the adjustment on the side to pick 0-4 (or was it 0-3, whatever it is lol) to adjust it, but this for when you have weight in the back to level the lights, adjustment is done from the bolt on the light.

Also from memory I think the adjusters are same on halogen lights as projectors (someone on here bought some without adjusters and swapped them over, might have been Annti from Finland).

The headlight motors does the connector point out the back or straight down and the wires in the headlight if its a genuine Valeo are they red or are they yellow that will tell us if you have projectors or Xenons. Now the most effective way to repair the white standoff legs inside the headlight is superglue I have had a few headlights posted to be with the motors taken out and the reflectors own weight inside the headlight can snap the leg without the motor in place to hold it. Also if the car has xenon headlights their are axle level gauges front and rear so if suspension work has been done lately or the drop links have been changed as I have seen non genuine ones between 250mm - 280mm long which can change the angle of the front anti roll bar that the senor in the front is attached to or someone might have just over rotated the anti roil bar not knowing the level gauge is attached.
1617034936776.png
1617035004752.png
1617035033963.png
1617036549226.png1617036583695.png

Reactions: Sean197