Help me decide on the 197?

How should I blow my cash on the 197?

• Total voters
Phew glad this is all tidy'ed up.

I like the brakes idea but not sure on the 18" wheels they offer no weight saving as they weight the same as normall wheels and the tyres cost more so id be a little reluctant to do this .

Alot of the astra boys use lsd's but also alot of astra boys who have brought diffs have felt let down as they dont drive the car hard enough. which is a fair point.

In the type of driving YOU do do you see thetc light much . Have you the need for a diff ?

Let me know player

2k wouldn't buy me much megane lol...

Woody what sort of engine work would you consider for that cash?

basically i'd buy cams, valves, new valve seats, uprated springs, DEKA injectors are straight outa a meggy 230, maybe custom pistons and wossner rods (so u can crank that controller up a notch or two) ure looking at off nos gains plus mega gains when feeding it with the spray. u not fancy a purge kit aswell?

also might be worth uprating the clutch to a helix 4 pad or sumat as its already engaged when nos is applied wudnt spend dosh on ceramic.

basically i'd buy cams, valves, new valve seats, uprated springs, DEKA injectors are straight outa a meggy 230, maybe custom pistons and wossner rods (so u can crank that controller up a notch or two) ure looking at off nos gains plus mega gains when feeding it with the spray. u not fancy a purge kit aswell?

Scrap getting the diff ^^^ do that!!! :drool:

lmfao engine work in total cost me £2800 all in parts an labour. this is before i spent money on supercharger bits and brakes. bet you could get what I said above for 2k though. also if you go down this route, make sure they do something called a cam timing correction. this on a standard 197 can increase up to 10bhp alone

lmfao engine work in total cost me £2800 all in parts an labour. this is before i spent money on supercharger bits and brakes. bet you could get what I said above for 2k though. also if you go down this route, make sure they do something called a cam timing correction. this on a standard 197 can increase up to 10bhp alone

1st things 1st!! congrats on braking 4000 posts lol

and i hate u now!! i had things planned out but now u saying that just makes me want to do it :worried: ...and do u know what u was running after all ur engine work?

:smile: thanks russ.

Oh russ u not fancying the r26r now? After a custom map it's running 197 at wheels wich equates to about 240 at flywheel using the usual. 10-15 % transmission loss. It runs amazing but the only bug I had is the 403's idle at 1800 rpm and I've had to buy a kenlowe engine pre heater to get it started. I heard 402's arnt as bad thgh

:smile: thanks russ.

Oh russ u not fancying the r26r now? After a custom map it's running 197 at wheels wich equates to about 240 at flywheel using the usual. 10-15 % transmission loss. It runs amazing but the only bug I had is the 403's idle at 1800 rpm and I've had to buy a kenlowe engine pre heater to get it started. I heard 402's arnt as bad thgh

na cant be bothered lol just gunna stick with what ive got...got some plans :wink: which u may of now ruined after what u said lol

and 197 at the wheels after all that engine work? worth it?

197 at wheel was measured without 480cc injectors, valves, seats and springs. so im guessing 200 ish at the wheels. without supercharger.

right for the money I think its worth it. It makes the car a totally different animal, the revvy engine is now even more hungry for ure right foot and the power delivery is something spectacular. no flat spot, plenty of low end torque, as soon as it hits 4800 it goes nuts and will eat anything of its class alive lol. so lets say its running 240 at flywheel, its normally aspirated (atm lol) im getting the same power as a standard astra VXR or a leon cupra FR. it handles better than both of them put together and will stick to the bumper of a boxster . . . . :smile: :smile: well worth it IMO

197 at wheel was measured without 480cc injectors, valves, seats and springs. so im guessing 200 ish at the wheels. without supercharger.

right for the money I think its worth it. It makes the car a totally different animal, the revvy engine is now even more hungry for ure right foot and the power delivery is something spectacular. no flat spot, plenty of low end torque, as soon as it hits 4800 it goes nuts and will eat anything of its class alive lol. so lets say its running 240 at flywheel, its normally aspirated (atm lol) im getting the same power as a standard astra VXR or a leon cupra FR. it handles better than both of them put together and will stick to the bumper of a boxster . . . . :smile: :smile: well worth it IMO

eugh was hoping u was gunna say somik a lil different lol looks like il be keeping my car for deffinate now :wink: haha one last question Mod Guru where did u get the uprated valves etc?

ill have to ask my mate, parts like that he supplies . . .. it took me 2 months to find calipers for my car lmfao im useless.

what did you want me to say its ****?

can i add to my post ^^^^^^^^^^^ even with standard exhaust idling it sounds immense. driving its got a lovely rasp very very nice :smile: :smile:

lol mmmmm :tongueout: reckon its worth getting it all put on at once or in stages? if i do it all at once il have to save for abit and im terrible at it lol

well i got mine in two stages and it cost me more to do it that way. i didnt have the dosh for injectors, valves, valve seats n springs so it meant he had to rebuild it twice costing £££. The first strip down to put cams in (includes new belts), (headwork) cylinder head was bored to acomodate higher lift on the 403's (not needed with 402's) and valve clearance issues polish and port inlets (like matching but the polish the inside of them too), lightweight pulleys, forged rods and pistons, engine and drive train balanced, skimming increases compression ever so slightly also help keep pressure in engine as the cylinder head seats better. this requires a pressure test aswell to check for leaks in the block. then it all got rebuilt and my wizzard friend live mapped it so it all worked in harmony. not a single problem since I might add. second stage was in the supercharger visit just recently. got charged 400 for labour for nimonic valves, uprated springs, new valve seats and bigger injectors. parts will be added on in my next bill but ure only looking at 200 for parts on this build so would make sense to get it all done at once.