The Clio was treated to a bit of winter maintenance today.

IMG_5867 (1).jpeg

The first task was to swap out the passenger side headlight with the cold air feed for the road legal one with all of the bulbs. The headlight with the cold air feed had been suffering with a bit of condensation recently which is not surprising as the last two times the car was used was on very wet track days. The headlight is not sealed like a standard headlight at the back. Last year the headlight had not been affected by condensation. When I took out the headlight and turned it upside down today a reasonable amount of water came out. That would explain the condensation. The headlight with the cold air feed can dry out over winter.

Headlight back on, albeit the photo was taken when it was much darker.

IMG_5875.jpeg

Whilst the bumper was off we took the opportunity to remove the bonnet latch mechanism from the slam panel. As the car has Aerocatches on the front the bonnet latch mechanism is no longer necessary. The release wire that goes through the firewall to the cabin has not yet been removed and is just curled up and cable tied under the headlight at the moment.

IMG_5872.jpeg

The next task was to measure up and adjust the 3D printed fog light ducts that will feed the Corvette brake ducts Ethan had been working on. This is still a work in progress.

The coolant in the car had looked like there was some discoloured liquid sloshing around so we had decided to do a coolant flush. We had put this down to just filling up the coolant system when the engine swap had been done and not taking enough time to fully flush the system.

IMG_5868 (1).jpeg

The radiator looked okay but has clearly been on the car for quite a few years. It has a large range of bugs and flies mashed in to it.

IMG_5873.jpeg

We dropped the existing coolant with the traditional method of undoing the lowest clip by the bottom of the radiator and letting the coolant pour out.

IMG_5874.jpeg

We flushed the system by filling up the car with water, opening the bleed points on the heater matrix pipe and thermostat, running the engine until it was up to temperature and liquid was coming out of the bleed points. Then we dropped the liquid in the coolant system and repeated this process about 4 or 5 times until no coolant was visible in the water that was coming out of the car. Finally the car was topped up with genuine Renault glaceol RX green coolant and bled.

IMG_6078.jpeg

It looks more yellow than green to me.

I have tried to get a pair of Michelin PS4s from Tegiwa to replace the worn rear tyres. After some delays Tegiwa have accepted that they cannot locate any stock of PS4s so I suspect that I will get a pair of PS5 tyres to go on to the rear of the car. Although the car will end up with two PS4s at the front and two PS5s at the back it seems the best solution as I think PS4s in 215 45 R17 are no longer available, or likely to be available for some time.

The new rear tyres have arrived from Tegiwa. These are a pair of Michelin PS5s.

IMG_5913.jpeg

The tread depth makes it look like these could be used off road! When the tyres have been fitted the car can go for a MOT test.

We have also invested in a CANChecked MFD32 device. It is a box that plugs in to the OBD2 port and can read information about the car and log it to the device rather than rely on a OBD2 dongle connected to a phone on track days.

IMG_5897.jpeg

The dimensions of the original case were slightly too big.

IMG_5896.jpeg

The plan to integrate the CANchecked box in to the centre air vents is well underway with some subtle modifications to both the case and the air vents.

IMG_5910.jpeg

All credit for this work goes to @EthanMenace for his design and 3D printing skills. The centre air vent has been gutted but the plan is to leave it semi functional so that air still comes through whilst shielding the CANchecked box and cabling from hot air. Having gutted the centre air vent it will no longer be possible to roll the adjuster to cut off the airflow but it is small sacrifice to make. If we do ever install an oil temperature and oil pressure sensor they can be wired in to the CANchecked box.

I am still waiting for the cable to arrive that will connect the CANchecked box to the OBD2 port. I have spent some time playing with the box and it is a nice bit of kit which I am looking forward to playing with.

Last edited:
We finally got the PS5 tyres on the car today.

IMG_5970.jpeg

Earlier in the week @EthanMenace had taken the wheels with the worn PS4 tyres and the new PS5 tyres to have them fitted and balanced. Whilst the usual wheels were off of the car we put the Speedlines that came with new shell on to the car with the "ditch finder" tyres.

IMG_5974.jpeg

The rear wheels now have more than 1.6mm of tyre tread and should last a few years to get us to track days, or round the track in wet weather.

IMG_5975.jpeg

I took the car for an MOT today. It was a bit of a struggle with the emissions but eventually they got it through the test with no advisories. Not bad for a car that has been reshelled with most moveable components removed from the old shell and put on to this shell. The mileage has only gone up by 4,000 miles since last year - we picked up the car after it had just been put through an MOT test in November 2022.

IMG_6078 (1).jpeg

I had the MOT done on my way to work and took the car to work for a quick drive.

IMG_6079.jpeg

The CANchecked project has been a bit slow as I have had the driveway done meaning that the car was parked up on the street for about three weeks. We have hit a few technical glitches with the CANchecked box, it is getting no data from the ODB port, which we will hopefully resolve soon.

The next upgrades for the Clio will be some front arms with new ball joints and PMS spherical bearings. Also we will replace the old rubber subframe bushes with some PMS solid bushes. We have spare arms and a spare subframe so hopefully we can have the work done and swap out the parts on the drive.

I am also looking out for the 2024 Circuit Days dates for the 'Ring which will hopefully be released soon.

Last edited:
Yeah I wanna try and do their April date and also Summer (June/July).
Obviously depends on if they actually get the booking, as it isn't a 100% certainty.

Reactions: burrellbloke
There seems to be a bit of craze to create an image of your car in Lego using AI. Here is my best effort.

_47db5d2a-01b3-450f-8027-804a052a308f.jpg

For some reason the AI does not understand the difference between a 197 and 200. It seems to think that a 2010 Renautsport Clio RS200 is in fact a mk 4 200T. This picture was probably the closest looking I could get to a 200.

I had a chat with Alex at AW Motorsport last night and will drop off some front wishbones and a subframe for him to put in uprated ball joints, PMS spherical bearings and PMS solid subframe bushes in the new year. I have priced up the parts for a Cup racer front end from PMS and will order those bits early next year.

After weeks of talking about it the spare front arms and subframe will be dropped off to AW Motorworks today or tomorrow to be refurbed. The arms will get some new uprated ball joints and some spherical PMS bearings. The subframe will be powder coated and have some solid PMS subframe bushes welded on. We will get these parts back in January 2024.

IMG_6166.jpeg

I replaced a knackered rubber cap for the acoustic valve at the weekend. The one that we had on the car was from K-Tec when we had a K-Tec induction kit on the car a log time ago. The rubber had perished and was cracked. I saw something online and bought it. It seems to fit okay.

IMG_6110.jpeg

I need to sit down over Christmas and plan the July 2024 trip to the Nurburgring and book a hotel and some Chunnel tickets. I also need to book some track days for next year. There are some very cheap days on offer at the minute for the early part of 2024.

After weeks of talking about it the spare front arms and subframe will be dropped off to AW Motorworks today or tomorrow to be refurbed. The arms will get some new uprated ball joints and some spherical PMS bearings. The subframe will be powder coated and have some solid PMS subframe bushes welded on. We will get these parts back in January 2024.

View attachment 156146

I replaced a knackered rubber cap for the acoustic valve at the weekend. The one that we had on the car was from K-Tec when we had a K-Tec induction kit on the car a log time ago. The rubber had perished and was cracked. I saw something online and bought it. It seems to fit okay.

View attachment 156147

I need to sit down over Christmas and plan the July 2024 trip to the Nurburgring and book a hotel and some Chunnel tickets. I also need to book some track days for next year. There are some very cheap days on offer at the minute for the early part of 2024.
I’m looking at one of the weekend dates at Snetterton in February. Think there’s a Saturday with javelin and a Sunday with MSVT or vice versa. £129 each

We have finally got the CANchecked MFD32 installed and working. This has taken quite a bit of time and effort to get this far.

The device was delivered without an ODB2 cable in the box despite it being advertised as coming with the cable. I got the device from www.turbozentrum.co.uk and they were apologetic and sent me out a cable to connect to the device and the OBD2 port - CANchecked used to supply the cable with the device but recently changed what came in the box. Turbozentrum were good enough to supply the cable even though it was not their fault.

When the first cable turned up it was a VAG car which could power the CANchecked device directly from the OBD2 port. This was no good for the Clio as the Renault OBD port was not capable of powering the device.

I ordered a second cable which powered the device from a fuse jumper. When we got the second cable it was all plugged in but then we could not get the device to read any data from the OBD port. We both decided that the device must be faulty so sent it back and got a replacement unit.

Whilst faffing around with the cables for a few weeks and waiting for the replacement device @EthanMenace had adapted the centre vents, 3D printed a smaller housing for the CANchecked device and worked out how to complete a stealth install.

When the second unit arrived we connected it up and again could not work out why it would not read any data from the car. Ethan then worked out that I had been really stupid and put the wrong firmware on to the CANchecked device. Once we had put the right firmware on the unit it read the data without a problem.

Then we ran in to another power problem and were both confused as to why the power was intermittent. The device would often work when it was not fully installed with various parts of the interior pulled apart, but when it was all assembled there was no power from the car to the device. @EthanMenace investigated the power issue and diagnosed the problem as a slightly lose ground pin in the OBD port. Ethan's solution was to simply wire the device directly in to the car without the OBD cable.

The result of Ethan's hard work is a fully installed CANchecked MFD32.

IMG_6161.jpeg

The device will log data that the car can provide via the CAN bus. It stores the data on a microSD card. To read the data from the device we can either remove the device from the centre vent and connect it to a computer, or plug in a laptop to the converted USB socket. @EthanMenace has changed the USB plug for auxiliary media to a connector that runs to the rear of the CANchecked unit.

IMG_6164.jpeg

I have taken the Clio out today for a quick drive to make sure everything is working and so far it all looks good.

IMG_6162.jpeg

The device can read data from the CAN bus or any other external sensors that we wire in. We will need to acquire an oil pressure and oil pressure sensor soon. The display is dynamic so we can change it show whatever data can be extracted from the car. The above screen is Ethan's quick attempt to show some Clio specific information - albeit the engine was not on so there was no data to display.

My reason for buying this device was so that the car would have an onboard data logger for track days rather than rely on a phone app connected via the OBD2 port. It looks like the device will work really well as a data logger.

Last edited: